“worst place i ever stayed in”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Apple Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tillamook
Red Apple Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Tillamook B&B and Inns
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“worst place i ever stayed in”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

after riding several hours and being tired and coldi rolled into town looking for a place to rest and warm up. i was surprised to find that very few places were to be had due to a fall fair happening. the Red Apple had a few rooms but the woman at the desk told me she had trippled the rates because of the fair. she gave me a room she said she usually reserved for family, thank god i'm not in her family. fridge didn't work, heat didn't work, TV remote didn't work, room smelled like an old dank basement, dirt and cobwebs in every corner and cranny. someone else's bathrobe hung in hte bathroom. i had to use my shoulder to open and close the front door. the woman offered to put my food in her fridge. when i tried to talk to the owner in hte morning he held up his hand and shoo'd me away. i wish i had ridden to the next town. never again folks, you got me once you'll never get me again.

Room Tip: stay away!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Grant V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
BC
Reviewed 14 August 2012

After driving for 14 hours & having been looking for a vacancy ANYWHERE for the last 5 hours, this sad excuse for a motel was the only place that had ONE room left so we took it out of desperation. The lady at the desk said it would cost $189 plus tax! We considered sleeping in the car but decided to take a chance. After purchasing a pkg of Clorox disinfecting wipes and a can of air freshener, I felt armed enough to try making the room habital. I kid not, I had to clear away spider webs just to get into the door and then kill 10 living spiders in the room before my beyond tired kids would even enter. I refused to bring our bags in and opted to only bring the bare esentials and leave the rest in the car. After shaking the sand out of the miss-matched sheets (so gross to imagine WHY there was sand there!), and telling everyone that they should not touch anything they didn't have to, we went to bed and had a very short and unsettled night. We woke in the morning and left as soon as we had all showered in the freshly scrubbed shower(clorox wipes)and used our own beach towels rather than the discusting excuse for towels provided.I can't say enough about how aweful this place was. The desk clerk was obviously giddy at the idea of having this dive fully booked and didn't seem to notice all of the weary travelers standing outside of their rooms discussing how repulsive each of their rooms were. Looking back now I can laugh but at the time I was beside myself with worry that we might leave there with more than we arrived with (bed bugs, diseases, spider bites, etc.)

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank BCHockeymama
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 13 August 2012

As with the previous review we had been tired and looking for somewhere to crash. Looks ok outside - NOT worth what is charged at all. Rooms are clean but a little creepy (previous review that mentions CDI crime scene is spot on) and beds are super uncomfortable. AVOID AVOID AVOID

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lindzann
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The motel is old, but renovated. I was surprised at how clean the motel rooms were. Great breakfast!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
winchendon
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed at the Red Apple Inn for 1 night while traveling up the coast highway to Washington. We were tired when we were entering Tillamook, this was the first place we saw. It looked ok from the outside, clean paint, there were few cars in the lot which I thought was a little strange. My friend booked the room sight unseen. The room was double occupancy, lower level, total cost was 97.00. We got the old fashioned key and went to check out the room.
The room looked like it was out of the 1950's or 60's. Blond paneling on the walls, blond cluttered furniture, handmade non-blackout curtains, a piece of molding was broken off a doorway and laying in the closet. The rug was worn and there was a large stain by the door, like a CSI crime scene! Maybe they allow pets and an animal relieved himself there, I don't know! The room had a musty odor, the security latch on the door was a 50's style chain, there was no dead bolt. No toiletries other than 2 small bars of soap. There was a large empty 5 lb. coffee can near the sink. I don't know why it was there, probably so you can wake up in the AM and sniff the can as a coffee substitute, because there is no coffee maker in the room. There Is a small restaurant attached and run by the same owners, and the owner had told my friend how she would make us a wonderful breakfast in the morning. Later we would find out that was only IF WE PAID for breakfast. We were not happy, dropped our luggage on the bed, and I went to complain about the condition of the room and it's cost. While it's called an Inn, here it says it's a B+B, this place is clearly a mom + pop type motel.
I spoke with the owner about the cost, NO WAY this was a 97.00 room, She assured me it was the cheapest in town, other hotels were much more expensive. That was also when I asked her about breakfast, which my friend was led to believe was included in the cost. Then we were told we would need to pay for breakfast. Tired and not wanting to argue, we decided to keep the room. We regret that decision, now!
We left and went down the street to eat, and curious...we checked out the next 2 motels no more than a 1/2 mile down the road. The Shiloh was 1.00 more and included a buffet breakfast, I see on here the other motel looks like it's less money. Both appear to have better ratings than this place ever will have judging from our experience. So...the owner of the Red Apple Inn lied to us big time. At one time this was a triple A motel known as the El-Ray Sands, it is just a rundown motel now with greedy owners.
Anyways...we ate and returned to the room around 10 PM, took the luggage off the bed and I layed down. UNBELIEVABLE...this was the worst mattress ever, it was totally worn out, probably from the 60's or 70's. It was like sleeping on a balance beam. No Closed Caption on the TV, which I've never seen, We decided to sleep, the light from the lot is shining through the cheap curtains. We had the worst night's sleep on our 14 day vacation. Avoid this place ta all costs and go down the street to the Shiloh.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank mrolds69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tillamook
Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Tillamook
Western Royal Inn
Western Royal Inn
#2 of 3 in Tillamook
Sheltered Nook On Tillamook Bay

Been to Red Apple Inn? Share your experiences!