“Quite A Nice Stay”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Medford, Oregon
“Quite A Nice Stay”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Overall I was pleased with my stay at this hotel. It is a bit difficult to see the sign to turn into the driveway. The breakfast offerings were way better than expected based off of other negative reviews. They had everything one would expect and two kinds of meat were offered. Other reviewers mentioned the train and the truck stop noise. I had a room in the back that faced the train tracks and was right in the middle between the truck stops. I consider myself a light sleeper and had no problems with any noise. Location was conveniently located right off of the freeway with plenty of nearby food options. I would stay here aging if I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I am an IHG member so I don't know if this was usual protocol for everyone or what but it was a nice surprise when I received a call the day before I checked in to see if I was going to need anything such as extra pillows, blankets, directions, or dinner reservations! That was a VERY nice touch! Let me say this hotel is in between two truck stops so I was expecting the hotel to be noisy, as I was unpacking my car I was thinking great not going to get much sleep, but my room was quiet, pleasant surprise! This sits on a one lane road so it is difficult getting out on the road because of the truck traffic in the morning but if you have patience you can do it. Now the good points and there are many the rooms are quiet, beds very comfortable lots of pillows, and towels, and the rooms are large, The indoor pool is a bit on the small side but the water was perfect, the water in the hot tub was perfect as well. Plenty of pool towels too. Front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. Housekeeping could be a bit better at getting the cobwebs from the corners of the rooms but other than that the rooms and bathrooms were clean. I did call the front desk for the cobwebs and they offered to come right up and clean them up for me but I just asked them to leave a note for housekeeping for the next day as I was staying three days, but when I got back the next day there was still one cobweb in the upper corner, didn't bother me enough to call again. Breakfast was another surprise, a very nice hot breakfast with eggs, sausage links, sausage patties, bacon, pancakes, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, yogurt and more. The room was clean and large and I enjoyed watching the large screen t.v. while having breakfast. To top it off they offered Gluten free bagels and danishes, first time I ever stayed at a hotel that offered that! I was very impressed! Would stay here again in a heart beat!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor would be the most quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Webster City, Iowa
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Motel was very nice with clean, spacious room. Fitness center was also clean, well lit and equipped good. Pool looked nice. Everything appeared great --- until breakfast. Not sure I have ever encountered one with less choices. Just a few slices of bread, a few english muffins, an empty glass front frig except for a pitcher of milk for cereal, pancake maker not working correctly, and not enough hot water in the dispenser to make instant oatmeal. Hashbrowns looked really bad. Stayed about 30 minutes in hopes of some yogurt or more items brought in, but only brought in a few more bread choices and a little more fruit. Really dissapointing

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank metdm
Philomath, Oregon
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I would definitely stay here again. I booked a room so I didn't have to drive up from Corvallis for the triathlon at Blue Lake. Not only was I made to feel very welcome here, but when I asked if I could have something put out for breakfast (just some cereal, coffee and milk) I was told that breakfast would be there for me at 5:30 when I needed it rather than the regular time of 7:00 on a weekend. I came down to get it and the full breakfast was set up. It was perfect. Hot cereal, hard boiled egg and coffee and I was ready to go. Check in and check out featured friendly and helpful employees. They had even called me before my stay to see if there was anything special I needed. Great place. Thank you for the hospitality

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2014

On May 31 we attended a wedding in Troutdale, OR. We stayed in room 116 at the Holiday Inn Express located at 477 Northwest Phoenix Drive in Troutdale. After the wedding we returned to our room slightly before 10:00 PM. The room was warm so we turned on the air conditioner. Around 1130 PM we turned off the television and went to bed. It was not long before we realized the air conditioner was unacceptably loud as it cycled on an off. The obtrusive noise caused by this cycling made for a largely sleepless night.

When checking out the following morning, I explained to the hotel clerk our bad experience. She commented that we could have changed rooms at 1130 PM. I responded that it did not seem very practical to do that late in the evening. She repeated her position that we could have changed rooms. While I agree we could have changed rooms, it was not a better alternative than staying in the room. It would have required getting dressed, packing, moving and then getting set in another room. The thought of doing that did not cross my mind at 1130 PM at night.

I advised the clerk that as a gold member I did not consider my experience to meet hotel standards. She responded that she would offer credit against my stay, except that my stay was paid for based on points. I did not understand this comment because hotel standards are either met or not met and how the room is paid for should not impact this. I explained that I paid $140 for my night’s stay and that it fell short. She said she would give me a 20% credit against my bill, but any more than that would have to be handled by her manager. Fair enough, but all I really wanted from this hotel was a room where I could have gotten some good sleep.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Korissa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Brad P,
I am terribly sorry to hear you did not have a satisfying stay. We try our best to accommodate each and every guest that walks through our doors. It is our job to make your stay feels as close to home as possible. I greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps our team build. We hope that you give us a second chance to meet your needs. Thank you for your time!
Michigan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The staff was soooo nice! We loved downtown Troutdale also! Would stay here again in a second. Rooms were outstanding! Trains went by all night long, but you would never know it! Perfect for catching an early flight from PDX.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Korissa H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
ballietm,
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Our staff does their best to accommodate our guest's needs. Please come back to see us again. We enjoy having you!

Thanks,
Tigard, Oregon
Reviewed 26 May 2014

An bunch of us were celebrating my 50th. we went to check in and they instantly upgraded my room. some of the other guest were arriving late and they said no problem and that they would hold the rooms. We get back from the party and their waiting for me was an pie from Sherrie's. Sasha at the front desk was very accommodating with me and other party members. We all said that we would stay here again.
Thanks so much Sasha and the Holiday Inn Express

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor at the south end and heard nothing, slept very well.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Best Western Plus Cascade Inn & Suites
#16 of 140 in Portland
Camas Hotel
Camas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Camas

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale? Share your experiences!