“staff was awful, location was amazing, not for teens”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waldport
Waldport Newport KOA
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I stayed here last may with a group of friends and his family. We all had a blast! the location was amazing, Alsea bay was way better than staying by any beach. It was the perfect sized area for all my friends and i. there was hardly ever anyone else there so we had the whole sandy stretch to ourselves. we played hours on end outside. On the downside, the staff here was extremely rude to my friends and i. He treated us like we were a bunch of delinquents. The minute he saw us teenagers he (the owner) was completely discriminating against us. He gave us an attitude like we were gonna bomb the place or something. First thing he did when we got there is he pulled us over and sterotyped all of us, calling some of us troublemakers and whatnot. Keep in mind all of my friends dress appropriate and none of us do drugs, drink, etc. He threatened us that he will kick us out if we cause any trouble. We never did anything to him or gave him any reason to treat my friends like dellinquents. Throughout my stay he would stare down my friends and i whenever he saw us. His attitude made us feel very unwelcome and a little offended. I hope the staff reads this, because you can't treat your guests like that no matter how old they are. i travel a lot and plan a lot of the trips that i go on, and i was impressed by the location and the campsite itself, but i will probably never stay here again because of the way i was treated.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
10  Thank rockgibson92

Reviewed 1 March 2011

I recently stayed at the Waldport KOA February 25-February 27. It was during the Seafood and Wine Festival but we did not attend it since we brought our twin 2 year old boys with us. We had so much fun. The kampground was very clean and had a beautiful view it is right next the Alsea Bay. There is so much to do near by, we went to the Newport Aquarium and Depoe Bay. We ate at some of our favorite restaurants Georgie's Grill, 60's Cafe, and the new Pig and Pancake in Newport. We had a wonderful time and would deffinently go back.

The only thing I recommended when we left was better locks in the kabins. Since I have twin 2 year old boys I need to the best system to lock the door so they can't escape at night. The doors are set up like a hotel that you slide a card in to. They are neat but when you lock the door from the inside when you pull the handle you can open the door. We had to block the door with larger objects to keep my kids in. I would deffinently love it if they had an extra lock.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lucasandnathan08
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We recently spent 7 nights here with our family, and overall had a pretty good time. I can say this because we were not at the campground much, and were going to see the sites of the Oregon Coast daily. First, the good things.... Extremely friendly staff, I can't say enough about this great bunch of people, just as other reviewers have stated. There are quite a few activities available for such a small campground. The Ice Cream social on Saturdays was a nice item for families, and the ability to rent the beach bikes was nice. We stayed in a cabin and found it very clean, but a little over priced for what you're actually getting. What I didn't like was lack of bathrooms here. There always seemed to be a wait to use the bathrooms, and it didn't matter what time of the day it was. There is DEFINITELY a need for more bathrooms here people. I don't think waiting 20 minutes to use the bathroom is expectable for what we paid to stay here. The campsites are very close together, so if you're looking for any form of privacy, this is NOT the place for you. This was our first stay at a KOA campground, so I don't know if they're all like this. I'd probably recommend this place to someone that was passing through for a night or two and heading on to another destination, but not for an extended stay. The next time we plan a family vacation, we'll do a little more searching.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank nitropinto
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We arrived at the Waldport Newport KOA Kampground, as our first stop on the coast of Oregon. I was greeted by a friendly female staff member, who then had me pay some taxes that I guess weren't initially deducted when I had originally paid for our KOA Kabin online. Her son then led us in his golf cart to our Kabin, delivering the firewood bundle we purchased for $6.00 (for 5 pieces of wood). At the time I checked in, the lady also had me to sign a form that I would be with my kids at all times. I'm all for watching your kids, but I felt paranoid that my 8-year-old son couldn't go across the lane, 30 feet away, and play in the little park unless I was right there with him, therefore, I didn't get the vibe that this was a very family-friendly campgroud. The Kabin itself was lovely and very clean. It had electricity, lighting, heat, and even a TV! One thing that I noticed was that the Kabins were all lined up in a straight line side by side each other. They wasn't a whole lot of space between them and no trees so when you were sitting outside, you could clearly see and hear everything your fellow Kabin neighbours were doing; therefore not a huge amount of privacy. The campground itself was probably the most quietest I've ever been in. It was almost strange how there was not a sound after 8 pm, so this is obviously not a campground for partiers. The other thing we noticed is that the firepits were sparkling clean! Not only were the previous ashes shoveled and swept out, but you could see that the owners actually scrub down and bleach the firepits white! It was nice, but we almost felt paranoid about dirtying up such a perfectly clean fire pit by having a fire. We took a walk to the beach on the bay, and it wasn't really that great of a beach, compared to the other fantastic beaches of Oregon. It seemed a bit littered, and because it was in a bay, there were no waves. The bridge was a nice sight from the beach though. The restrooms were very clean and they were all individual unisex restrooms. A few of them had free showers included. This campground also had a dishwashing sink, so that was another convenient bonus for campers. There were also a lot of water taps around the campground for people to use for cooking water. This campground is located just north of Waldport, so it would only be a 5-minute drive to any amenities. I would recommend this campground to older people without kids who like extreme cleanliness, peace, and quiet.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank PickleInHerHair
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We recently spent a week at the Newport Waldport KOA in our travel trailer. We met up with friends from Reno, and their travel trailer. We had these sited booked for several months, and they were great view spots along the back side of the park, overlook Alsea Bay. Initially, we see this park is really well maintained. There is no trash, or "trashy areas, and each site is raked over, and well cleaned after every stay. Hookups are very well kept, easy to use. A concierge attendant takes you to your spot, and helps you back in. He showed us the ropes, where everything was located, and wished us well. These are all things that help make this KOA a good place to stay....but there are a few glitches we noticed. There are NO trash facilities at this KOA. They do drive around in the morning to collect your trash, but if you miss them, you are screwed. No trash recepticles anywhere. This seems a little bizzare to me...and a bit inconvenient. WIFI...okay, its not parkwide, but while I was there, they were working on it. It is unreliable, but the little market just north, Bay Shore Market, has wifi all of the time, and serves the best lattes on the whole beach....Also, the price. We paid 56.00/nite which is steep. Yes we had a view, yes the park is okay, but without a jacuzzi, and other amenities, this was an excessive price. A bit of gouging. The staff....they are fantastic, eager to help, kind, and really keep an eye on the campground. This is a good thing especially if you have kids. So, I am on the fence with this one....if you have to use wifi, keep going. They just havent figured that out yet.....good luck all

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank DaveFrancis
Reviewed 1 June 2009

This was the first time we have rented a KOA little log "Kamping Kabin" and it was adorable! What a great option if you want to camp, but do not like tenting, and do not own a trailer. It's kind of spendy - nearly as much as a hotel room - but it's the experience that makes it worthwhile. This particular KOA has no amenities but it sits on a bluff overlooking a gorgeous bay, and it's certainly the cleanest KOA I've ever seen. Has individual, modern, clean, locking restrooms with generous showers and unlimited warm water. Each Kabin has a picnic table, fire pit, TV, electricity, porch swing. The mattresses are not terribly comfortable though they are sturdy and clean. This KOA allowed pets at a $10 fee per night (some KOA's don't allow pets in the Kabins, apparently). Is one mile from the tiny restaurant/shopping strip in Walport. Can walk down to the beach. The high speed internet was unfortunately mostly unreliable, however. But the staff was great, really helpful. Would definitely recommend and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jorjanne
Reviewed 23 August 2008

We stayed at this site during our recent trip down the 101, it was one of our favorite stops. The Kamping cabins had tv/dvd players in them, the hosts were very friendly and the small town was a great sleepy getaway, close to Newport were you can go15 minutes away to do the tourist things. The Salty dog was a friendly local restaraunt with great fresh fish dinners and other American family meals to choose from. we attached a view from our cabin, it was called the honeymoon cabin.

2  Thank Roadtripcrazy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waldport
Deane's Oceanfront Lodge
Alsi Resort
Alsi Resort
#3 of 3 in Waldport
Whalers Rest RV & Camping Resort

Been to Waldport Newport KOA? Share your experiences!