“Clean and charming - no one in the office though”
Review of Mingo Motel

Mingo Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wallowa
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This is Wallowa Oregon where you should be happy there is a motel at all. Having to be in the area, this was the recommended lodging by a local, versus traveling 20 more miles to Enterprise, Oregon.

First off, it appears the motel has had a fairly recent rehab. New paint, new wood caved decorations and log style furniture abound, and yes, it felt clean enough I didn't hesitate to take off my shoes or sit on the bed. Travelers know that in a small town or when options are limited to local establishments, this could have been an issue. No, I felt clean and safe. The little tree carvings on all the shutters were charming, the bear out front, the flowers, the nice color coordination. Very clean. Even had a cute homemade citrus mini bar of soap one day. A surprisingly feminine touch.

As we had noted on their website the Mingo offered a microwave, mini fridge, coffee, and wifi. What more could I want for my 3 day stay? Well, for the wifi to work. It was very hit and miss. Also, forget trying to use a cel phone. It would work sometimes at the motel, and NEVER on the main street. If you wanted a sustained phone signal, you had to drive east and park at the IOOF parking lot, 1/2 mile out of town. A drawer to put away things? A single piece of paper, a notepad? Ok, stripped down, I get it. But there is a big painting in the bathroom. I'd rather it was traded for a dvd player.

I digress...
This is a man's motel. Forget amenities like a hair dryer or shampoo, I get it, it's not the Hilton. However, in a place with no fast food to reheat, I would guess the purpose of the fridge and micro is that you've brought food, right? Bring dishes and silverware, too. We had packed a few things like instant oatmeal and other microwave friendly foods because the local restaurant (singular) does not open until 8am. Difficult when you have morning appointments. We had to troop to the store to buy mugs and plastic utensils. In the room we had 2 paper cups and 2 glasses, so there was no option to use and wash and use again. And bring coffee. I have never in my life had such weak coffee. Day 2 I put half the water in the pot, and it still tasted like ... warm water. Bring filters also.

There are whimsical touches such as little notes taped here and there: Use colored wash cloths for makeup removal, not the white ones. Rags available at the office. And on the phone a random number that you were supposed to divine was the security code for accessing the wifi. A note somewhere said there was ice at the office. It's picky, but really, one sheet with everything listed and put in a plastic sleeve would make so much more sense that reading little bits around the walls.

Also helpful would be a guide to what's in town. Here, I'll write it:

Main Street Grill - 8am-8pm must love paneling. Shares space with feed store.
The Pizza Place also rents videos - oh, no VCR in room, nevermind. 11am - 8pm
The bar, it's scary, don't go there.
The Blonde Strawberry has espresso and nice sandwiches and souveniers. Closes at 3.
The library is open 1pm - 4pm weekdays and the librarian is nice.
The "Art Studio" titled Farmers Market (wth?) has art for hundreds of dollars and expects cash,
no plastic for you!
Grocery Store 8am to 8pm
Liquor store - seems to vary
The barber shop sells brown eggs. I have no clue when they open.
Beauty shop next to barber shop and feed store, no idea when open.
Town hotspot is the Community Rummage sale shop with 70's clothes.

Now it may seem I just need good coffee this morning because I appear to be writing grouchy. No, I want you to know what's in store if you go to Wallowa and stay at the Mingo. It's a beautiful area of the state and it's quiet and peaceful. The people are friendly. The only odd ball thing was that there was no one in the office and we had to call. Motel had 11 rooms and he put the only 2 people checking in, side by side, leaving the doors unlocked, so that when we did get a connection and call the number posted on the office door, the innkeeper could say "just use room 5, it's open." This ultimately involved a room change because room 6 had the TV at full blast. Take note: space people if you have the option. Ice? Well, that's only available if someone is in the office and it seems to come out of their home fridge. Weird.

And they charge per person, not same rate for one or two as everyone else on the planet. Just be prepared is all I'm saying. Maybe I'm grouchy because the owner told me I have back issues because I don't exercise my core enough and that no one can maintain a vegetarian life style and be healthy even though many communities /religions / belief systems do so. Unsolicited advice, by the way. Thanks.

Room Tip: If you can put space between you and another traveler, do so. Start at room 1, with no one next to y...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 July 2012

nice and clean and a great location for eastern Oregon. We love the sign on the office that lets people know the expectations for staying there, no partying or unruly children.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank saltboxtreasures
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Mingo Motel is a good place to stay.. It was an easy check in and out. Had pretty flower box and hanging flowers. All the rooms have double queen? beds. It's very clean and has all the amenities you need,plus our room had a microwave and small fridge. It was quiet there and had nice benches outside the room if you wanted to get some fresh air. I will be going back and will definetely stay there again. There aren't many choices to eat in Wallowa except subway. We actually ate breakfast at cheyenne restaraunt for breakfast and La Laguna for dinner both in Joseph. There is a chinese restaraunt in Enterprise,which I heard is ok, and also a safeway.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kiannahsmom

Been to Mingo Motel? Share your experiences!