“A little rough and outdated!”

Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warm Springs
Portland, Oregon
“A little rough and outdated!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at the Kah-Nee-Ta Resort for a business conference in March. First off, I have to say the staff was great, they truly care about you and your time with them. The folks that provided us with our meals several times each day did a fantastic job and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. The gaming machines (Gambling) have been moved to the casino down on Hwy 97 so the resort seemed to be missing guests. When I checked in, I noticed two unhappy guests trying to make complaints at the front desk (not a good sign).

I got to my room and noticed it was extremely hot with the day sun pouring into the room from the large windows. I opened the door to the deck to allow colder air in and had to shut the curtains during the day to keep it this way. I shared by secret with others attending the conference, but some still complained about it as the week went on.

The room was outdated with not only old furniture, but with furniture that had gouges, mars, marks, and areas that were broken or missing stain. My room was dirty when you looked closely, which you could not see at first glance. The sink had toothpaste and hair in it and the phone had either spaghetti sauce or I would hate to think of what else it might have been on the hand set.

The short wall and railing on the deck need to be painted and the TV, VCR and clock radio were very outdated, but worked. The weather stripping under the front door was either torn or missing allowing for light and anything else to enter your room. With this being my first impression of the resort, I found myself looking for other areas needing attention.

The dark carpet in the lobby and up the stairs to the conference area were not vacuumed all week and had debris on it easy to see without looking. The bathrooms were not kept clean in the resort forcing me to go back to my room during breaks when they were needed. I don't normally complain which you will find hard to believe by my review, but these things definitely need attention. I was offered a $99.00 per day special rate if I wanted to stay beyond my conference, but I could not pay this for the conditions paid for by my company as part of the conference fee.

On my last day later in the morning and prior to check out, I had an older Native American male knock on my door twice then enter even though I did not answer from the bathroom toilet and had a do not disturb sign on my front door knob. When he saw me we were both surprised and he exited without a good explanation as to why he walked in. I was unable to locate this male on my exit to see why he would do this, but this was just one more reason why I was not impressed with this resort.

Overall the all food was good not great, service of staff was great and the staff tried hard to accommodate needs, but the resort needs some major attention to bring it back to life. I will not recommend this resort to my friends, family and co-workers, but wish the owners and staff at Kah-Nee-Ta great success in the future.

It is important to share that I did not see or use any other part of the resort as they have a golf course, water slide pool and other areas for guests, but these are my observations from what I saw and used daily.

Room Tip: I don't remember, but others attending this conference had similar complaints making me believe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in the village and the hotel room was very spacious and nice. It had a fridge but was missing a microwave. I rate it (5 stars).

The food situation as others have listed was pretty poor choices, they have a buffet breakfast for 17 dollars a person. I didn’t try it as we brought bagels. Rate food at (2 stars) as there was pretty much no choice at the village.

The large warm pool and slides are really fun for kids (4 stars).

There are two small hot tubs for adults but they are so small you can’t get your whole body into them. They are so full of chlorine, they blind your eyes and make your body itch. They have 130 degree water onsite to feed the pools so I think they can figure out a way to keep enough fresh water in the tubs to reduce the chlorine level. I would prefer some natural rock tubs. Rating (1 star).

The area itself is a natural pretty desert area.

10 miles away is a casino that is fun and has low stakes blackjack 5 dollars minimum bid. We dropped in on a magician act which was average.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

It is a long drive way off the road. The pool is open to the public so people drive from Portland to use. There is no chairs to sit in and have to fight for a space in pool. Would be nice if open to open to who are staying there but they don't tell you that. Lines getting in was half hour wait. Also make due you being food and all necessities. they have one little store and one restaurant.Nothing really to do. Not worth it..

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Susan S

Travellers are raving about these Warm Springs hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Spent a night at Resort and did read reviews. Got some food and brought my own towel.
The only problem was #easter. They closed all other restaurants except chinook brunch menu. No grocery within 11 miles.
It's more than 30 years building and don't expect too much. Then you be happy there.
Smile first to the staff then they will be friendly. Thanks, tripadvisor reviews. It helps me.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Union, Oregon
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Had not been here since the 1970's so thought we should come and spend a night to check it out. I'll begin with the good. The two restaurants at the resort were expensive but we felt the food was good with large servings. We stayed in the main resort/lodge, not at the village down the road. The wifi worked well. The room was very small with a king bed. The bed was comfortable and firm. Nice balcony with table and chairs. Great view. Nice furniture in room. TV was older (no flat screen), sound was somewhat garbled, and was in cabinet recessed into the wall with dresser drawers below it. They had attempted to remodel the bathroom. New granite counter with new sink and new fawcett. New tile floor. New granite on 3 walls in shower. Walls had old original wall paper, with bubbles and coming off. Old shower door, old fawcett, old shower floor. Bulbs burned out in shower area and above sink. There was a fridge, no microwave. Carpet was worn out and filthy. On the floor I saw hair balls, rubber band, small pieces of paper and dirt. Was glad we brought slippers because we weren't going to walk on the floor without something on our feet. Bedding was worn out. Had a big gross bedspread on top of bed. The blankets had numerous holes in them. Sheets had holes and those fuzzy pills all over them. They were clean, I hope!!! There were no cups/glasses near the sink. There was a coffee pot with 2 mugs but they looked dirty. Only enough coffee for 1 1/2 cups. The paint on the deck and back of building had so many coats on it that it was bubbling and peeling off. This place was build in 1972 and is in bad need of a remodel. It is borderline discusting. We would not recommend this place to anyone and we most definitely won't be back. The motel at the Village, down by the mineral springs might be a better bet. It was build in the '90s. Luckily we used a groupon for $82 so we didn't feel too ripped off!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Resort/lodge. Check out the motel at the Village.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DaBride
Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We decided at the last minute to take a mini-vaca during our Spring Break and spend the night in one of the TeePees. Although there's a fire pit, the heat does not spread around the teepee & if there's a breeze blowing, it can get smoky so be sure to pack sleeping bags that will keep you warm! In April, it got down to 27F at night. Bathrooms/showers & picnic areas are nearby and teepee's are super close to pool. We were told check-in time is 3:30pm. Pool hrs 10am-6pm. The pool at the resort (need to drive up hill) is open until 10pm (we didn't try this one). Pool was warm & the perfect temp for playing and relaxing in the water. It was quite full during WA Spring Break but still lots of room. Get early if you want to get a lounge chair. No eating at the pool so we left our towels on our chairs and came back after eating. Even in April we got sunburned so I'd say slather sunscreen before you think you'll need it.
We ate at the Grill and never again. We paid $67 (not including tip) for 2 dishes & 3 desserts and both were terrible (NY Steak & pasta). The pasta arrived lukewarm and did not taste fresh (Chef Ramsey comes to mind!) but the staff were obviously stressed and overworked so we didn't complain. The tables weren't bussed and sign said to seat yourself but we stood around and waited awhile until someone cleared a table so we could sit. Highly recommend packing your own food. Also, we discovered a great place to eat around Mt Hood called Skyward Grill (dinner & drinks for 2 for $35!). All food cooked fresh, freshly baked bread & grow their own herbs outside. Overall, a fun trip and would visit again (w/our own food & warmer sleeping bags).

Room Tip: Pack your own food & a propane stove. If you're use to eating healthy, home cooked food like...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank zeta2552
Seaside
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The check in time for the kahneeta village is 4:30, which is way to late, if you show early they will let you use the pool until your room is ready, However they do not have pool towels for use apparently anymore. You have to bring your own towels until you get into your motel room, in order to use the hotel towels. They do have towels for rent at 2.00 a towel but they were unavailable when we were there.

Room Tip: Get the second floor with the view and vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Madras
Imperial River Co.
Imperial River Co.
#1 of 5 in Maupin

Been to Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!