“Needs some updating, improved service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Welches
The Cabins Creekside at Welches
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The Cabins are a great place to get away from it all--or at least some of it. Very quiet, located in a nice setting, clean. What more could you ask? Well, the Cabins are starting to show signs of old age. It's like little has been done to update or improve them since they were built. We couldn't reserve a king bed and the queen bed we used seemed old and very hard -- and the pillows and bedding seemed used.

The signs that seem everywhere setting out all the rules seem more restrictive than welcoming. Guests are expected to wash any items they use or face additional fees. I wonder about the safety of drinking from coffee cups, glasses, and using utensils that may or may not have been sterilized by the previous guest. Paying $100+ per night for a room should at least guarantee a clean drinking glass or coffee cup.

In general, the place is clean and minimal room service is offered daily. Not that anyone would select this place to watch TV, but only a dozen or so channels are provided.

The Cabins are a nice alternative to camping or staying at a regular hotel, but they need a breath of fresh air. At $100+ per night they aren't competitive with the last 10 hotels I've stayed in.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem similar and are quiet and in a beautiful environment.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We knew Welches was a great base for hikes and exploration of Mt. Hood, and picked The Cabins bcause they have kitchens and a hot tub. The surprise was how attractive, private and comfortable and clean they are, especially considering the very reasonable price. The creek dries up in the summer, and we had some trouble with the grill, but it was otherwise idyllic for our purposes: a romantic getaway and base for hiking.

Room Tip: We stayed in a studio, which was spacious. Haven't seen the others.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This was perfect for our type of vacation. From Welches you have access to beautiful hikes, skiing, etc. Our cabin was very clean and cleaned every day. Having the laundry room was perfect. There is a market near by to get provisions for your next day's adventure. The cabins are located in a residential neighborhood. It isn't a wilderness setting but very quiet. The hosts were lovely. They even loaned us a hiking book.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Stayed here 3 days with husband and son. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. Extremely clean. Loved the full kitchen and hot tub was right outside our door for relaxing after hiking in the mountains all day. We would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We stayed at various places throughout Oregon and California this summer. This was the only one where we felt we did not get our money's worth. First, the place just isn't clean: Dishwasher had mold. Shower curtain had mold. Chair near sliding doors was badly stained. Second, things that are key to one's comfort and privacy are not in good shape: Bed is caved in. Toilet leaks when it's flushed. Vertical blinds were full of gaps-- they should just be replaced, but instead, there were instructions on the wall to close them properly, as if that would fix it. There was also a noise coming from the bathroom that would go off every so often, thus waking you up. The room was full of "rules" for you to follow. If you ever feel nostalgic about an aunt who's a stickler about rules, and who thinks her place is "it" when it actually isn't much of anything,... stay here. This place will definitely remind you of her.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank travlr24Eastcoast
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Overall we were disappointed. Looks good from the outside. Inside was interesting. Looked basically clean at first, other than stained carpet. I'm not overly picky, but upon noticing that the extra pillows in the drawers most certainly did not have clean pillow cases I thought I'd just check the sheets. I pulled out five long hairs, but I didn't freak out because I do believe the sheets were clean. It's just that they were so old and thin that I can see how during laundering that can happen (I have a daughter with long hair and I've found it in my towels before). Towels and washcloths were very thin and worn. I couldn't tell what color they may have once been. But okay....they were clean. We may have just hit upon a bad housekeeping day. I don't know. I noticed a few hairs in the bathtub that night. Not ours. Next morning my husband is not happy about the shower curtain with little holes all over and so covered with mildew and pink slimy stuff that you had to stand to the wall side of the tub to keep from touching it. It didn't help to look at the toilet plunger beside the toilet that had dried toilet paper stuck to it. Look away. The bathroom however is a decent size with plenty of storage space. There really is not much of a feeling of privacy in the main area. The big wall of windows facing the communal hot tub have vertical blinds and when they are not closed you feel pretty exposed. When they are closed you feel pretty confined. However, closing them the second night was interesting, as when one slat fell off and I tried to reattach it I noticed that it had already been "fixed" with strapping tape. Out of curiosity I looked up and discovered that literally 22 of the 34 slats had been "fixed" with strapping tape. I get the feeling someone must know that the blinds really do need replacing. There were a few other issues, but I don't want to drone on. I will add that when I did come into contact with the owner at one point on our second day, she was not at all interested in how our stay was going. If she had asked I would have mentioned a few things......nicely. But she didn't. In my opinion this place needs some TLC.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank micsue
Reviewed 3 May 2006

My wife and I spent 3 days here during our honeymoon. We skied Timberline and Snowbowl, both which are about 15 minutes away. Cabins are very clean, all the amenities, very quiet...just perfect. Creek runs under the covered hot tub which we enjoyed. We had no complaints at all. Not many places to eat and drink in any of the towns surrounding Mt Hood but you do avoid the crowds unlike at other ski areas. Very resoanble compared to other places around. We would defintely recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welches
10 mi away
#1 of 1 in Timberline Lodge
Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection
Mt Hood Village RV Resort
Sandy Salmon Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Cabins Creekside at Welches? Share your experiences!