“great customer service”

Mt Hood Village RV Resort
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have read many negative reviews about this resort and I totally disagree!

My family stayed here August 2013. The central reservation system said the only sites available were ones with full hookups which cost more than the water/electric only sites. We were also told that we couldn't use our guest pass we were given (which was for a discounted price). We booked it anyway. We arrived and the woman at the front desk immediately told us there were plenty of water/electric only sites. She said the central reservation system covers a bunch of TT/Encore campsites and often times they are not aware of what is available. She gave us the direct line to the front desk at Mt Hood Village and said to always call them directly. She proceeded to give us the type of site we wanted, which was cheaper, and she said that our guest pass was valid. We ended up paying about $25 less a night. She was super friendly and helpful.

We had so much fun swimming, biking & hiking around the trails, and just enjoying being outdoors. We found the facilities to be quite well taken care of. And having Adventure Park and a beautiful lake nearby to kayak on was the icing on the cake. We liked it so much that we bought a zone pass while we were there and went back again Labor Day weekend. For Labor Day they had a movie night, s'more making night, bar-b-que, and ice cream social. The staff worked really hard putting all this together. I felt the staff did an amazing job of trying to keep everything running smoothly.

My only complaint isn't with employees, it is with guests who don't follow the rules. Letting their young ones in the hot tub during adult hours, and the family that thought it was okay for their kids to pop balloons all around and in the pool area. It doesn't matter what type of campground/hotel you are running, if there are inconsiderate guests there isn't enough time in the day to keep on top of everything.

Looking forward to future stays at this campground while we enjoy the numerous activities in the area.

1  Thank B L

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Fellow campers,

After reviewing either really good (4-5 star) or really bad (1-2 star) reviews of Mt. Hood Village RV Resort from various internet references, our family of three decided to try this 4+ hours away-from-home-destination for ourselves. And thank goodness we did...we absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to return. What a wonderful (relieving) surprise!

Keep in mind everyone has their own preferences and expectation levels. Our primary goal was a woodsy, private site. Second was the overall campground cleanliness (we have an RV with bathroom) and third, amenities / entertainment offerings. All three exceeded expectations; here are more details:

1) Privacy factor: the resort is very large, broken into many smaller "sections" with various names to distinguish each section. Most definitely (for RVs), the Vine Maple Hollow section is the best for woodsy, spacious spots. Check the exterior sites....3, 80s, 90s, etc. They are not perfectly level (good, woodsy camping usually isn't)...so come prepared with your leveling blocks and you are good to go. We loved our space best of any in the campground. Woodsy, private, across from bathrooms and trash (but not too close) if you need it, not too busy street for kids to ride bikes. Very cozy. In addition to our site, we scoped the entire place to see what are we liked best. Forget the section name, but the sites 15-21 were awesome as well.

2) Cleanliness: we found the entire grounds immaculate. On our last day, after packing up our popup trailer we used the restrooms before driving home. Totally impressed with the tile bathrooms in the Vine Maple Hollow section. Clean, very modern and looked very well taken care of. Great job!!

2) Amenities / entertainment: outstanding! The indoor pool (HUGE!), hot tub, sauna, shower facilities, recreation center with pool table, ping pong, foosball, boardgames, videogames, etc. offered more than any other campground I visited. Additionally, the campground store is stocked with tons of goodies, including a DVD library for rentals, any food/ drink / camp necessity you'd ever need, AND there was a cafe on site. We didn't eat there, but it served breakfast and lunch and looked delicious when we scanned the menu.

A couple other helpful tidbits:

4) Customer Service. I read all the reviews about the cranky, older woman and had the pleasure of meeting her myself. I mean that...it was a pleasure. This woman primarily runs the office / admissions and deals with a lot of folks and personalities. Show some humanity and manners and you'll see her most excellent side. We found her charming and very accommodating...be nice to her and she'll be nice to you!

5) Local area: lots of places to eat, drink and buy whatever you need close by. The one restaurant we visited (when my 2 boys got a pizza craving) was ZigZag Inn. The service, food and drink were fantastic. What a fun experience. All the locals were very nice.

My best wishes for an excellent camping experience! I hope you've found this review helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jillianberrios
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The first two times we stayed we had a very roomy campsite with full hook-ups but the site was gravel and in the entrance of a campsite so we had a lot of traffic. We returned a third time thinking we would have the same site and ended up deep in the woods with some "full time" campers, whose campers couldn't move even if on fire. The were old run down and even had a truck on blocks. The site was so small we couldn't use our awning and the fire pit was right outside our door. We ended up putting the picnic table in front of the rv with our chairs as there was no space on the side. A drainage ditch was there. Will not be returning to this place again. They have a beautiful site with bike paths and walking paths, it is just too bad they have allowed it to become so run down.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sandra N
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We checked in and it went downhill from there. Kids were told that they couldn't use the recreation room because it had been rented out for the weekend. The older lady at the customer service office was rude and have me nothing but attitude and said that she has had a rough weekend and didn't want any attitude from me. Our friends cabin that they rented was filthy. The hot tub was half full of dirty water and did not work. The same lady said it hasn't worked for a long time and said we were warned. Not true. We have been coming here for the past 20 years. Not any more. I could go on and on about this place and the horrible conditions and rude employees.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank petersonfamily001
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I'll try and temper my review because we were tent camping and the weather wasn't cooperative either...Your first impression of this place is that it is fairly nice at first glance. What you'll find though is that it is woefully ill-maintained. Sites were full of trash, and even worse for tent campers, dog excrement. The first site we were assigned we went back to the counter because it was so ill-kept. We were moved to the RV section, which was somewhat better...but the restrooms were filthy, there was used underwear on the ground outside the restroom...
On the upside the space was fairly quiet after 11pm. Wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Don't.
2  Thank jbrum
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had our church campout at this place. The lady who set up this place is a good family friend of ours and she said it was a great place, full of amenities...an indoor pool and hot tub, a workout room, general store and cafe. Even the Mt. Hood Huckleberry Festival was there the weekend we were to stay there. We gave it a try. Some of us, including my friend, reserved spots, 7 months in advance. We had to pay for the first night for confirmation.

What happened after was atrocious. She was told when she arrived that they had given her spot away and that they called and told her 2 weeks prior. NOT THE CASE! She was furious. She had been offered a spot by the restrooms and dumpsters and said no way. The manager even raised his voice at her until she reminded him that she was the customer...he backed down.

I even had words with a lady at the registration desk after I found out what they had done. I informed her that our church will be spending roughly $2000 at their facility and they would not deserve it the way we were treated. I also said that we wouldn't be back next year. The lady said, "I don't care if you come back next year." She was a very rude person that should be terminated. I wish I had gotten her name. They ended up getting a spot near the rest of us, but after they called a customer to let them know that they gave his spot away...or did they??

After this debacle, everything went smoothly, until the day we left. After I hooked up and loaded everyone in my truck, I went to use the restroom. It had not been cleaned all weekend. Walking out of a stall, I went to wash my hands. One of the sinks had dry vomit in it...who knows how long it had been there. Needless to say, my church will not return to this place.

2  Thank TERRY G
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was our first time at this RV Resort making reservations for a cabin that slept 6 and had shower/bath, linens, bedroom and a couple other ammenities; however the staff called to ask if they could switch us to another cabin as the owner wished to stay another day in cabin we reserved. Thus I was impressed that we in fact paid the same but were upgraded to a larger loft, hot tub, deck, private cabin, prefab cabin trailer (looks like a cabin until you step inside). And when we arrived it was posted for sale (red flag) along with 3 other deluxe cabins on that stretch (red flag two). First impression all ok. We can deal with the run down look of unswept deck (we swept it first) and the cob webs on the sliding glass door (keyed entrance to property) because this RV village is smack dab in the Oregon rain forested side of Mount Hood Forest. We were also impressed that they gave us this cabin on the corner where the deck actually faces the rain forest canyon below. It is definitely private! We weren't impressed with light bulbs out and trash off the canyon side decking; showed that it was a party house for the Mt. Hood Skiers. So there are no spiders or webbing inside this property (thank you) but it is definitely abandoned by the owner (and not maintained by maintenance). Inside all the cupboards is disarray meant for games or storage; no organization anywhere. Housekeeping needs to just come in and go through, organize and fix broken lights and moldy/dirty bathroom floor baseboards. A good scrubbing! So now the kicker! Why we won't come back to this place: How would you like it to turn on the hot (and cold) water to smell the foulest rotten egg sulfur smell in the world? We thought ok, let’s just run it for a while and it will go away. No it doesn't. So we supposed - well this area is geothermal and we have to deal with it. Wrong again! My husband did shower with the water in the bath first. I stepped into the cabin/trailer after walking and was blasted with that smell. We looked it up on my smart phone internet (no-there is no internet here), to find that this owner pretty much ruined their water heater by leaving it on & hot for large amounts of time making the water turn into sulfur smelling compound and possibly harming all the plumbing as well. I went to the cabin showers next door to find clean and wonderful fresh smelling water!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DeblostnHawaii
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welches
Best Western Mt. Hood Inn
#1 of 1 in Timberline Lodge
Whispering Woods Resort
Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection
Sandy Salmon Bed & Breakfast

Been to Mt Hood Village RV Resort? Share your experiences!