“Needs some updates”

Mt Hood Village RV Resort
Portland, OR
“Needs some updates”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked a tent trailer site for first outing of the season here. Convenient to Portland. At check in, sign says indoor pool and hot tub closed for maintenance. This was not on their website or mentioned when I called for the reservation. I told the counter person it would have been nice to know this before hand and she just gave me a blank look. No response.

Sites need some clean up and updates. No wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rachel F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have read many negative reviews about this resort and I totally disagree!

My family stayed here August 2013. The central reservation system said the only sites available were ones with full hookups which cost more than the water/electric only sites. We were also told that we couldn't use our guest pass we were given (which was for a discounted price). We booked it anyway. We arrived and the woman at the front desk immediately told us there were plenty of water/electric only sites. She said the central reservation system covers a bunch of TT/Encore campsites and often times they are not aware of what is available. She gave us the direct line to the front desk at Mt Hood Village and said to always call them directly. She proceeded to give us the type of site we wanted, which was cheaper, and she said that our guest pass was valid. We ended up paying about $25 less a night. She was super friendly and helpful.

We had so much fun swimming, biking & hiking around the trails, and just enjoying being outdoors. We found the facilities to be quite well taken care of. And having Adventure Park and a beautiful lake nearby to kayak on was the icing on the cake. We liked it so much that we bought a zone pass while we were there and went back again Labor Day weekend. For Labor Day they had a movie night, s'more making night, bar-b-que, and ice cream social. The staff worked really hard putting all this together. I felt the staff did an amazing job of trying to keep everything running smoothly.

My only complaint isn't with employees, it is with guests who don't follow the rules. Letting their young ones in the hot tub during adult hours, and the family that thought it was okay for their kids to pop balloons all around and in the pool area. It doesn't matter what type of campground/hotel you are running, if there are inconsiderate guests there isn't enough time in the day to keep on top of everything.

Looking forward to future stays at this campground while we enjoy the numerous activities in the area.

1 Thank B L
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Fellow campers,

After reviewing either really good (4-5 star) or really bad (1-2 star) reviews of Mt. Hood Village RV Resort from various internet references, our family of three decided to try this 4+ hours away-from-home-destination for ourselves. And thank goodness we did...we absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to return. What a wonderful (relieving) surprise!

Keep in mind everyone has their own preferences and expectation levels. Our primary goal was a woodsy, private site. Second was the overall campground cleanliness (we have an RV with bathroom) and third, amenities / entertainment offerings. All three exceeded expectations; here are more details:

1) Privacy factor: the resort is very large, broken into many smaller "sections" with various names to distinguish each section. Most definitely (for RVs), the Vine Maple Hollow section is the best for woodsy, spacious spots. Check the exterior sites....3, 80s, 90s, etc. They are not perfectly level (good, woodsy camping usually isn't)...so come prepared with your leveling blocks and you are good to go. We loved our space best of any in the campground. Woodsy, private, across from bathrooms and trash (but not too close) if you need it, not too busy street for kids to ride bikes. Very cozy. In addition to our site, we scoped the entire place to see what are we liked best. Forget the section name, but the sites 15-21 were awesome as well.

2) Cleanliness: we found the entire grounds immaculate. On our last day, after packing up our popup trailer we used the restrooms before driving home. Totally impressed with the tile bathrooms in the Vine Maple Hollow section. Clean, very modern and looked very well taken care of. Great job!!

2) Amenities / entertainment: outstanding! The indoor pool (HUGE!), hot tub, sauna, shower facilities, recreation center with pool table, ping pong, foosball, boardgames, videogames, etc. offered more than any other campground I visited. Additionally, the campground store is stocked with tons of goodies, including a DVD library for rentals, any food/ drink / camp necessity you'd ever need, AND there was a cafe on site. We didn't eat there, but it served breakfast and lunch and looked delicious when we scanned the menu.

A couple other helpful tidbits:

4) Customer Service. I read all the reviews about the cranky, older woman and had the pleasure of meeting her myself. I mean that...it was a pleasure. This woman primarily runs the office / admissions and deals with a lot of folks and personalities. Show some humanity and manners and you'll see her most excellent side. We found her charming and very accommodating...be nice to her and she'll be nice to you!

5) Local area: lots of places to eat, drink and buy whatever you need close by. The one restaurant we visited (when my 2 boys got a pizza craving) was ZigZag Inn. The service, food and drink were fantastic. What a fun experience. All the locals were very nice.

My best wishes for an excellent camping experience! I hope you've found this review helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank jillianberrios
Blythewood, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The first two times we stayed we had a very roomy campsite with full hook-ups but the site was gravel and in the entrance of a campsite so we had a lot of traffic. We returned a third time thinking we would have the same site and ended up deep in the woods with some "full time" campers, whose campers couldn't move even if on fire. The were old run down and even had a truck on blocks. The site was so small we couldn't use our awning and the fire pit was right outside our door. We ended up putting the picnic table in front of the rv with our chairs as there was no space on the side. A drainage ditch was there. Will not be returning to this place again. They have a beautiful site with bike paths and walking paths, it is just too bad they have allowed it to become so run down.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sandra N
OREGON
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We checked in and it went downhill from there. Kids were told that they couldn't use the recreation room because it had been rented out for the weekend. The older lady at the customer service office was rude and have me nothing but attitude and said that she has had a rough weekend and didn't want any attitude from me. Our friends cabin that they rented was filthy. The hot tub was half full of dirty water and did not work. The same lady said it hasn't worked for a long time and said we were warned. Not true. We have been coming here for the past 20 years. Not any more. I could go on and on about this place and the horrible conditions and rude employees.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank petersonfamily001
Fairview, Oregon
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I'll try and temper my review because we were tent camping and the weather wasn't cooperative either...Your first impression of this place is that it is fairly nice at first glance. What you'll find though is that it is woefully ill-maintained. Sites were full of trash, and even worse for tent campers, dog excrement. The first site we were assigned we went back to the counter because it was so ill-kept. We were moved to the RV section, which was somewhat better...but the restrooms were filthy, there was used underwear on the ground outside the restroom...
On the upside the space was fairly quiet after 11pm. Wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Don't.
2 Thank jbrum
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had our church campout at this place. The lady who set up this place is a good family friend of ours and she said it was a great place, full of amenities...an indoor pool and hot tub, a workout room, general store and cafe. Even the Mt. Hood Huckleberry Festival was there the weekend we were to stay there. We gave it a try. Some of us, including my friend, reserved spots, 7 months in advance. We had to pay for the first night for confirmation.

What happened after was atrocious. She was told when she arrived that they had given her spot away and that they called and told her 2 weeks prior. NOT THE CASE! She was furious. She had been offered a spot by the restrooms and dumpsters and said no way. The manager even raised his voice at her until she reminded him that she was the customer...he backed down.

I even had words with a lady at the registration desk after I found out what they had done. I informed her that our church will be spending roughly $2000 at their facility and they would not deserve it the way we were treated. I also said that we wouldn't be back next year. The lady said, "I don't care if you come back next year." She was a very rude person that should be terminated. I wish I had gotten her name. They ended up getting a spot near the rest of us, but after they called a customer to let them know that they gave his spot away...or did they??

After this debacle, everything went smoothly, until the day we left. After I hooked up and loaded everyone in my truck, I went to use the restroom. It had not been cleaned all weekend. Walking out of a stall, I went to wash my hands. One of the sinks had dry vomit in it...who knows how long it had been there. Needless to say, my church will not return to this place.

2 Thank TERRY G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welches
Best Western Mt. Hood Inn
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Quality Inn Gresham
Quality Inn Gresham
#1 of 11 in Gresham

Been to Mt Hood Village RV Resort? Share your experiences!