“Crime ridden and tired”

Mt Hood Village RV Resort
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I can't complain enough about the poor condition of this so-called resort.

We are members of 1000 trails and Encore and this park is in our system; however, if I came here first I would never have joined thousand trails.

Many of the water spigots leak and run water 24/7. The sites are overgrown and in poor shape. And then there is the recent string of night-time burglaries, 3-days running. The most egregious part is that we we not alerted by staff that burglaries occurred two previous nights before our arrival.

When I spoke to the property manager about all the above, he blamed lack of budget from corporate to provide staff for maintenance and security.

This is our 5th 1000 Trails property to stay and, with only one exception (Sun River in Bend, Oregon), the rest were tired, cramped, and in need of serious upgrades. If you haven't bought into the 1000 Trails system, I suggest you wait.

The video representation on the 1000 Trails Website of this property and all of the other 4 we've visited were at best, misleading, and borderline blatantly false.

If I could get out of my contractual obligation, I would in a nano-second.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank cybercme

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The park is beautiful with lots of plants and greenery. They have a lot of camp sites and they are close together, some are smaller than they claim so be very clear on your trailer size The staff was okay, they seemed a little worn and almost grouchy, but it was Memorial Day weekend and there was not an empty site in the whole park, so we didn't take this personally.

We had 4 pre-teens/teenagers with us and they were never "bored." They found they had plenty of things to do. It's close to the Alpine Slide at Mt. Hood and many lakes nearby to fish in. The river is close and lots of trails for walking.

If you are looking to get away from the crowds of people, this might not be the best choice, but if you are looking to get out town and enjoy a nice place close to Mt. Hood to campout this is a great place to go.

We will be returning, it's a middle of road meeting point for family and friends and we love to hang out near Mt. Hood.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Casey H
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The RV spots are very close together. However, there are some nice trails and easy river access close by. I do find the property not the best organized place. I made a reservation and paid a deposit for long term rental in the winter for my RV. Cancelled it and 8 month later I am still waiting on my money back. It took 4 months for someone to call me back about it. Kind of frustrating to keep tracking this money down.
It is good place for kids with playground and swimming pool. The winter rental spots are a good value and close to Mt Hood for winter fun.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just spent four days here over Easter weekend. The campground is beautiful. Nice campsites with fire pits and picnic tables. Very clean restrooms. Great office staff. Lots of places to go for walks with our dog. The pool was open and very enjoyable. We had breakfast at the Dragonfly Cafe there on site. The food is delicious! We had a great weekend and are looking forward to going back for Memorial Weekend..

Room Tip: The yurts and cabins on site are very nice for those who do not have there own tents or trailers.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nvizi
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked a tent trailer site for first outing of the season here. Convenient to Portland. At check in, sign says indoor pool and hot tub closed for maintenance. This was not on their website or mentioned when I called for the reservation. I told the counter person it would have been nice to know this before hand and she just gave me a blank look. No response.

Sites need some clean up and updates. No wifi.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Rachel F
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have read many negative reviews about this resort and I totally disagree!

My family stayed here August 2013. The central reservation system said the only sites available were ones with full hookups which cost more than the water/electric only sites. We were also told that we couldn't use our guest pass we were given (which was for a discounted price). We booked it anyway. We arrived and the woman at the front desk immediately told us there were plenty of water/electric only sites. She said the central reservation system covers a bunch of TT/Encore campsites and often times they are not aware of what is available. She gave us the direct line to the front desk at Mt Hood Village and said to always call them directly. She proceeded to give us the type of site we wanted, which was cheaper, and she said that our guest pass was valid. We ended up paying about $25 less a night. She was super friendly and helpful.

We had so much fun swimming, biking & hiking around the trails, and just enjoying being outdoors. We found the facilities to be quite well taken care of. And having Adventure Park and a beautiful lake nearby to kayak on was the icing on the cake. We liked it so much that we bought a zone pass while we were there and went back again Labor Day weekend. For Labor Day they had a movie night, s'more making night, bar-b-que, and ice cream social. The staff worked really hard putting all this together. I felt the staff did an amazing job of trying to keep everything running smoothly.

My only complaint isn't with employees, it is with guests who don't follow the rules. Letting their young ones in the hot tub during adult hours, and the family that thought it was okay for their kids to pop balloons all around and in the pool area. It doesn't matter what type of campground/hotel you are running, if there are inconsiderate guests there isn't enough time in the day to keep on top of everything.

Looking forward to future stays at this campground while we enjoy the numerous activities in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank B L
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Fellow campers,

After reviewing either really good (4-5 star) or really bad (1-2 star) reviews of Mt. Hood Village RV Resort from various internet references, our family of three decided to try this 4+ hours away-from-home-destination for ourselves. And thank goodness we did...we absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to return. What a wonderful (relieving) surprise!

Keep in mind everyone has their own preferences and expectation levels. Our primary goal was a woodsy, private site. Second was the overall campground cleanliness (we have an RV with bathroom) and third, amenities / entertainment offerings. All three exceeded expectations; here are more details:

1) Privacy factor: the resort is very large, broken into many smaller "sections" with various names to distinguish each section. Most definitely (for RVs), the Vine Maple Hollow section is the best for woodsy, spacious spots. Check the exterior sites....3, 80s, 90s, etc. They are not perfectly level (good, woodsy camping usually isn't)...so come prepared with your leveling blocks and you are good to go. We loved our space best of any in the campground. Woodsy, private, across from bathrooms and trash (but not too close) if you need it, not too busy street for kids to ride bikes. Very cozy. In addition to our site, we scoped the entire place to see what are we liked best. Forget the section name, but the sites 15-21 were awesome as well.

2) Cleanliness: we found the entire grounds immaculate. On our last day, after packing up our popup trailer we used the restrooms before driving home. Totally impressed with the tile bathrooms in the Vine Maple Hollow section. Clean, very modern and looked very well taken care of. Great job!!

2) Amenities / entertainment: outstanding! The indoor pool (HUGE!), hot tub, sauna, shower facilities, recreation center with pool table, ping pong, foosball, boardgames, videogames, etc. offered more than any other campground I visited. Additionally, the campground store is stocked with tons of goodies, including a DVD library for rentals, any food/ drink / camp necessity you'd ever need, AND there was a cafe on site. We didn't eat there, but it served breakfast and lunch and looked delicious when we scanned the menu.

A couple other helpful tidbits:

4) Customer Service. I read all the reviews about the cranky, older woman and had the pleasure of meeting her myself. I mean that...it was a pleasure. This woman primarily runs the office / admissions and deals with a lot of folks and personalities. Show some humanity and manners and you'll see her most excellent side. We found her charming and very accommodating...be nice to her and she'll be nice to you!

5) Local area: lots of places to eat, drink and buy whatever you need close by. The one restaurant we visited (when my 2 boys got a pizza craving) was ZigZag Inn. The service, food and drink were fantastic. What a fun experience. All the locals were very nice.

My best wishes for an excellent camping experience! I hope you've found this review helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jillianberrios
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welches
12 mi away
Skamania Lodge
Skamania Lodge
#1 of 4 in Stevenson
Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection

Been to Mt Hood Village RV Resort? Share your experiences!