“Great location...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Westfir Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westfir
Westfir Lodge
Albany, Oregon
“Great location...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at the Westfir Lodge at the end of July with a friend to check out the area, ride the mt bike trails and play some golf. The lodge is situated right across the street from the historic Westfir covered bridge, which is also the starting location of 2 great mt. bike trails, not to mention the famous Aufderheide scenic byway for road bikes and motorcycles. If you ride anything on two wheels you'll find groups of comrades congregating at the Lodge restaurant talking story, getting a bite to eat and a cold drink. The patio seems to be the center of attention as it offers a place to gather, eat, relax and enjoy the views of the bridge and the property's rose/vegetable garden. The patio also sports some unique furniture, including a little rail cart fire pit, and bicycle art.
Inside the Lodge is a great place to hang out as well. The main living room feels like a mountain lodge with big comfortable couch and chairs in front of a wood stove. A piano is also present for those who can play. The inside dining room opens by barn-like doors to the outside patio and is a nice place to eat out of the sun. The food was good and, at times, pleasantly unique. My tuna melt came with a slaw made with cabbage and kale that was delicious and the buckwheat pancakes in the morning were slightly sweet, reminding me of buckwheat donuts. The menu are simple and reasonably priced.
If you are looking for a quiet place to sit, away from the arriving and departing bikers, the west side yard is the place to be. On the opposite side of the house from the patio, a paved path that leads to the side yard where in a covered gazebo you will find chairs and a table to relax at undistrubed.

The Lodge has 9 rooms and can sleep 25 people. We took a look in the vacant rooms and each was unique. Most rooms seemed have more than one bed and plenty of space. Some rooms have their own bathrooms. The bedrooms and bathrooms appeared to be clean. My bed was comfortable and I slept well. Even though some of the interior decor is older, it seems to fit with the historic story of the building. The building does have a great story and the owner has taken an interest in showing that history off through photographs and mementos throughout the Lodge.
There is a small sitting room available for guest that looks out at the covered bridge and sports a mini bike store with items such as spare tires, sunglasses, a helmet, local bike map and various outdoor toiletries.
During our stay we met the new owner who seemed to be putting a lot of time and energy into the place since starting up earlier this year. The owner asked us for feedback, both positive and negative, and seemed very interested in making sure that we had the best experience possible. My only comment was that the restaurant service was a little slow when the kitchen had multiple groups ordering. For us this was easily compensated for by enjoying a cold drink and chatting with other travelers who were also enjoying the atmosphere. The owner seemed receptive of this info and perhaps that will change in the near future.
Knowing that a place is under new management means to me there might be a few bumps in the road as the rough spots get worked out. I wouldn't let that deter you from staying here. The staff is friendly, the accommodations are good and the location is great. I look forward to staying here again as this place has a special vibe about it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed in the former President's office overlooking the historic "Office Bridge" the covered bridge across the street. It was very spacious with very comfortable beds and nice amenities and a great value at $90. Trains added charm but didn't come by during sleeping hours. Breakfast was extra cost and was simple but good. We didn't eat lunch or dinner there as they don't have much besides sandwiches...but they may expand that in time.

I've stayed at this B&B under the prior ownership, and the new owners are doing a great job of updating the decor while maintaining the nice work the prior owners have done. It's great that there is now a restaurant. They are still ironing out some details. wee recommend it as a nice place to stay in beautiful country.

Don't miss the gorgeous Aufderheide Drive and the old growth Constitution Grove and then finish with a local beer at the brew pub in Oakridge. Mazatlan in town is good Mexican in a fun atmosphere.

Room Tip: loved the former President's office
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I didn't spend the night at the Westfir Lodge, but I wish I had!

We stopped here after cycling the Aufderheide Forest Road (Westfir to McKenzie Bridge and back), and the après-ride could not have been better. We had good beer and yummy eats that really hit the spot after a long ride. The patio music was fantastic too.

The owner, Eric, and the chef, Nancy, spent a lot of time talking to the guests assembled on the patio and delighted us with the history of the place and their ideas for its future. All in all, a magical afternoon. I want to go back and spend a weekend at this charming spot--more cycling, hiking, or just hanging out on the river. It's only 45 minutes from Eugene, so this could be my new ideal weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Anacortes, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed at the lodge during our bike ride and enjoyed the great service as well as great location. The place was well kept and the nights were restful before the bicycle rides. It has some of the finest riding available in Oregon. I was very impressed with the service and happy to find the comforts available in a quiet away setting.

Room Tip: Check out the music schedule and enjoy.
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I recently stayed at Westfir lodge during the July MBO event. The lodge is located at the base of the Alpine trail (red covered bridge) and was a great alternative to camping on the hard ground for 3 nights. The staff make you feel right at home as soon as you check in. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast each morning on the patio and dinner with live band in the evening. Ninkasi beer on tap! I highly recommend treating yourself and staying the night when you come to oakridge/westfir for your mountain bike trips.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lakewood Ranch, Florida, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at the Westfir Lodge for a night during a recent visit with our daughter in Oregon. The location is wonderful and the facility has a lot of potential as an Inn or Bed and Breakfast. As far as I know, the rooms do not come with breakfast. When we arrived the manager seemed a little confused, until I reminded her we had a reservation for the night (when we checked out, I saw her office and understand why she might have been confused). She had us wait while she changed the beds and “cleaned” the room. The room had two comfortable queen sized beds, but the comforters could have been cleaner. The carpet had not be vacuumed recently (lots of insect parts on it), and the bathroom appeared to have not seen a thorough cleaning in a while, only a quick wipe down. We ran out of bathroom tissue in the night and ended up scavenging a roll from another room. That is when I noticed none of the vacant rooms had been cleaned and had beds with used linens.
The dog in the house did not bother us, but I was concerned when I observed her having free access to the “commercial” kitchen. I do not think this is in compliance to Health Department rules.
The grounds are undergoing extensive cleanup, but that is to be expected in Oregon mountains during the spring. It is obvious the manager is working hard to maintain them.
If you cannot sleep with trains passing nearby in the night, go somewhere else.
Note to the manager: You have a wonderful property, but it appears you are overwhelmed operating it. Buy a used commercial washer and dryer, so you can keep up with the laundry for all your rooms. Clean the rooms and make up the beds as soon as guests check out. Organize your office and use a wall calendar to track arrivals and departures.

Room Tip: Check to see if the room is clean
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David D
Westfir, Owner at Westfir Lodge, responded to this review, 7 February 2017
Hello. I am the new owner of the lodge. I invite you to stop in and see the new updates I've made to the lodge. We painted and remodeled, as we as purchased new beds, bedding and towels. I think you will find the Westfir Lodge a much better, happier place. By the way, breakfast now comes with your room rate!
bend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

I recently stayed at the Westfir Lodge at the trailhead for the Alpine Trail just outside Oakridge Oregon. It is under going a renovation that is focusing on the logging and train history of the area. It was very comfortable and close to all the outdoor activities that the area has to offer. Mountain biking trails start directly across the street (and the North Fork of the Willamette River). The Aufderhiede (sp?) Scenic Byway essentially starts (or finishes right at the Lodge) and is great for road biking or a fun drive. You can't beat this place and the food is really amazing. If you are passing through Oakridge, Westfir or even Eugene you should check this place out.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have baths in room, and some share baths down the hall. The west facing room upst...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank j k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westfir
Best Western Oakridge Inn
McKenzie River Inn B&B and Cabins
Eagle Rock Lodge
Eagle Rock Lodge
#1 of 3 in Vida
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Crescent Lake

Been to Westfir Lodge? Share your experiences!