“Honeymoon Nov. 2003” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
“Honeymoon Nov. 2003”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was a great B&B! We stayed a few nights in 2003 for our honeymoon. Rooms are clean, food is good. We stayed in the jacuzzi room and loved it. The host was very friendly. This was our first experience with a B&B and we were pleasantly surprised. The only draw back was that the walls were really thin!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Florence, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Spent two nights at the Old Wheeler Hotel in Wheeler, OR. It is definitely a very pleasant step back in time. The owner Lorri and other staff members are extremely polite and helpful. We stayed in Room #5 where we had a view of the Nehalem estuary and the elks grazing on the island beyond with binoculars provided by the hotel. Our room was very comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated with lots of items from a by-gone era. The entire atmosphere of the hotel was very welcoming and if you venture out in the hallways at night, the candle lit hallways are magical. The morning breakfast was adequate, good coffee. However, the owner recommended one of the best restaurants on the Oregon Coast which is right around the corner, Rising Star, where they have a breakfast/lunch that is fantastic. Also their dinners are great. We found the town of Wheeler to be extremely interesting even though it is only a few blocks long. There are several stores right below the hotel that have beautiful items for sale as well as several high end antique stores, one which has the biggest collection of original Art Deco items that I have ever seen outside of New York City, a definite surprise. Our only complaint about the hotel is the noise from adjacent rooms. The walls are not well insulated, being an old hotel and you can hear the neighbors quite well. Even though the hotel is right off of highway 101, we did not hear the street noise at all due to the triple paned windows.

Room Tip: We chose room #5 because we liked the view. However, the breakfast/community room is right next doo...
Green Features: They do not change the sheets daily unless you request and a basket is placed at your doorway in the morning to deposit your towels, a clean basket of towels will be placed by your door later in the day. They also supply high quality soap and shampoo.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mmcconnell33
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

It's like going to grandmas house because there is a lot of neat antiques but its very warm and inviting. My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights here and we felt very comfortable. To start it off we walked in and used the phone for service to check in, it was funny and makes you realize you kind of stepped back in time. Well first there is a very nice inn keeper with shorter hair that makes you feel at home, she takes pride in her job. We stayed in room 2 so it had a bathroom which is nice the rooms are small but have everything you need including ac, a ceiling fan, and a nice view, cable tv and a decent collection of DVDs for adults and kids. But beware thin walls but also has been restored nicely. Long story short very charming.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

A friend and I spent two nights at the Old Wheeler Hotel in April 2013, and we had a marvelous time.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the very charming, friendly and welcoming Lorri. She was a true delight! She provided us with a tour of the hotel, encouraging us to peek into open rooms and eventually showed us to our room. She encouraged us to make ourselves at home and take advantage of any and all of the communal spaces available.

Our room, #2, was extremely comfortable with an awesome view of Nehalem Bay. The room, like the entire property, was completely furnished with antiques. The room had character and charm with its creaking floors and squeaky hinges.

Lorri enthusiastically greeted us with a warm smile, bright and early each morning, while setting up the continental breakfast in the breakfast/game room. She was a real joy during our entire stay.

The only personal drawback I have with the OWH is that I can see myself being so comfortable in the hotel that I may not even go outside to enjoy the natural surroundings of the Oregon Coast. I can't say that for many other properties I have stayed at during my lifetime.

I highly recommend the Old Wheeler to anyone looking for an enchanting hotel experience on the Oregon Coast. Regardless whether one has a coupon deal or not! We will definitely be back to possibly see the ghost?

And, to the owners: "Lorri deserves a RAISE! She is a GEM!"

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room at the OWH. However, get one with a view of the bay.
Green Features: Love the green practices! Saved us from having to bring recycling home and from having to request not having fresh towels everyday. The energy saving, noise reducing windows are fantastic! Hopefully, other hoteliers will follow the OWH lead.
1 Thank pooka54
Oregon City, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

My husband, son & I stayed at the Old Wheeler Hotel last weekend and had a wonderful time! We felt at home from the moment we arrived! The rooms are beautifully decorated without losing the wonderful, historical charm. It's nice that most of the rooms had their own private bath in the room too. I've stayed in many older hotels & b&b's where the bathroom was located down the hall & was shared among several rooms. At the Old Wheeler Hotel, there are two rooms that don't have a bath in the room itself. However, even those rooms have their own private bath, it is just located down the hall. We stayed in room 2 which had an in room bath & a beautiful view of the bay! I also have to say that the beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in! We will definitely be returning again!

Chehalis, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I've driven past the Old Wheeler Hotel for several years on my way down the Oregon Coast, and I've always said I would stay there one day. That day finally came a few weeks ago when I spent two nights in this lovely B & B. The rooms are not only beautifully decorated with antiques, but they are quite comfortable and very clean. I have back problems, and I often have problems sleeping in hotel beds, but I was very comfortable and slept well.

The innkeeper, Katie, treated us like valued guests in her home. I particularly enjoyed relaxing in the breakfast room, looking out at the beautiful view. I'm glad I finally made good on my promise to stop and stay at the Old Wheeler Hotel. I'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great - so you really can't miss no matter which room you choose.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Old Wheeler Hotel in the tiny coastal town of Wheeler, Oregon. We love the Oregon Coast, but have always stayed in Canon Beach (about 15 miles north). An Amazon Local coupon landed in my email a while back, and we decided it was an omen that we should explore more of the coast.

We'd only once before used a similar coupon for a hotel. That one in Leavenworth, Washington. We find service to be the primary amenity anywhere we stay. Does the staff make you feel welcome. In that case we had a mediocre stay primarily due to the fact we were left with the impression the staff didn't care if we stayed there or not.

Much to the contrary, our welcome at the Old Wheeler Hotel began before we even arrived. Lorri sent such a friendly email confirmation we felt welcome before we'd even arrived. On arrival, there was no one in sight, but signs kindly advised we use the antique-styled phone to call for service. Jill greeted us and was as friendly in person as Lorri had been on the phone and in emails. We had the pleasure of meeting Lorri later that day.

The rooms are uniquely appointed, and give you the sense you are staying someplace special. These are not cookie-cutter rooms, as each has it's own personality. There is a common room complete with books, boardgames, and mini-kitchen with mini-refrigerators for guests, as well as a microwave oven.

The breakfast is good depending on what you like. If you like a bacon, eggs, and toast morning meal, you'll have to go out. But not looking a gift horse in the mouth, we happen to enjoy light, healthy morning fare, which is what was provided. They offer, plenty of coffee and tea, bagels/cream cheese, granola cereal, fruit, cheese, and hard boiled eggs.

There is a DVD borrowing library, which contains movies sure to suit everyone's tastes.

The hotel is adjacent an antique store, which defies you not to get lost, but even if you do, you'll be lost amongst the most interesting treasure trove of too many items to view in a week's worth of visits.

There is an amazing gourmet restaurant, a fun pub, and a quaint cafe within half a block of the hotel.

We'd stay there again, and we would most certainly recommend it to anyone interested in a unique hotel experience on the Oregon Coast.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the best view rooms are along the west side of the building. However, i...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeler
The Ocean Lodge
Coast Cabins
Coast Cabins
#2 of 4 in Manzanita
Wheeler on the Bay Lodge

Been to Old Wheeler Hotel? Share your experiences!