“OK for a night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White City
Spring
“OK for a night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Maybe it was that I had higher expectations since this hotel had been recommended to us. The hotel is nice looking, fairly new...so we were looking forward to a nice overnight stay. The lady who checked us in was very friendly. Although the room was clean, the bed wasn't that comfortable--too soft. The breakfast that was included was terrible!! Powdered eggs, hard bagels (I actually could not cut thru it and had to throw it away), weak coffee, and the sausage was old and looked like it had been warmed up repeatedly. Absolutely nothing was edible. One plus is that there is a computer room with free WiFi...that was nice!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NoniBaroni
Nora D, General Manager at Brookside Inn & Suites White City, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am very sorry that some of our amenities did not meet your expectations. However, regarding the soft bed, we have Back Supporter Champion mattresses with a 3 inch pillow-top. Some individuals may require a firmer mattress whereas others state they had the best sleep ever. Our scrambled eggs offered in our breakfast room are pasteurized and homogenized which consist of whole eggs, skim milk etc. Regarding the link sausage, this is a precooked item. We reheat to proper temperature according to the Oregon State Health Department standards. All hot foods not used during the morning breakfast hours are properly disposed of.
Thank you for your business as I am in hopes that you will give us another try the next time you are in our area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lincoln City, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

If you are visiting people or attending an event in White City, the Brookside is an obvious choice. Reasonable price. Dog friendly. Clean, Incredibly helpful staff. Enlightened policies. I suspect, however, that people visiting Ashland, Medford or Crater Lake don't always happen upon the Brookside Inn. They should. This is probably the best deal around and reasonably convenient to all three. It's a nice place. Clean. Like new. When we were there, the temperatures hit the upper 90s. We had made reservations for two nights, but explained upon checking in that we might not be able to stand the heat and might have to cancel our second night reservation. The lady behind the desk told us that would be no problem, as long as we cancelled that second night's reservation prior to 6 p.m. on the second night. Wow. Plus, we did not want to take our dogs out in the heat, so we were delighted to be allowed to leave the dogs in the room (locked in their kennel) while we were gone. Wow. Good place.

Room Tip: If you do have a pet with you, you might want to get a room as close as possible to the back door so...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We come to the area for the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, and although the hotel seems a distance away, the price is great. This is a quiet area, right on the "Lake of the Woods" highway with fast access to country roads and forest lands. We bring our bikes, great routes right out the motel door. Staff is friendly, the hotel is very clean and morning breakfast is on par with other motels. Pet friendly, and still clean!

Room Tip: When traveling with my dog, it's good to have a room with quick access to the outside. I asked...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Sw Grand Mound,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We had a great experience last time that we stayed. Once again, the amenities were enjoyable and our room was comfortable. There was however, issues with staff and the way that they handled situations.
We visit Southern Oregon to see family twice a year. This is the reason for our visit and stay. I called the hotel beforehand to ask about their policy about having guests swimming. They had said that a paying guest who could have three guests use the swimming pool at one time. I had explained that my two children have cousins that wanted to come swim when we arrived. I had invited exactly three children, (cousins of my children), to come swimming. Their parents stayed outside of the swimming room, on the back patio. The woman working front desk had stopped one of the children and questioned them about how many people were swimming and how many were staying at the hotel. If she had any concerns, she should have found an adult to speak to, instead of interrogating a child guest of mine, who then became concerned that they were in trouble. How ridiculous.
A separate issue was encountered a couple days later. I had reserved the room using a visa debit card and had paid in cash the next morning upon check out. When this is done, you will see a "pending authorization" on your account that eventually drops off and disappears without ever really taking the funds. The transaction changed from "pending" to "processed" two days after check out. This happened the night before our direct deposit, so it caused an overdraft fee and a transfer of funds from our savings. I received an overdraft fee and a savings withdrawal fee. When I called the hotel the first gentleman seemed concerned that he could see in the system that I had paid in cash and still was officially charged on my debit card. I got him to give the phone to the manager who told me this is how they handle debit cards, and that they had already sent a refund credit through. I was extremely frustrated and explained that I had never encountered this before at any hotel, and did not understand why on earth they would charge me if I had paid cash. She said they did it this way to avoid having to do two separate transaction-one for the authorization hold, and then one to actually charge me. I was told to have my bank call them and they would verify that I was being refunded.
I contacted a bank representative who initiated a three-way call with the hotel. The bank rep told the hotel that they did not see any sort of credit or refunded amount on my account pending, and also that he had never seen an authorization process and pull funds out of an account after a customer had paid cash. The hotel employee said that the refund had been done and they would not send it through again-that I should just wait for it to show, At the end of the call, I told her that I wanted to make a suggestion that they disclose this to customers beforehand. Instead of accepting my feedback, she said that I should have told the front desk that I would be paying cash upon check in if I didn't want my card to be charged. How rude and frustrating. I replied that if it is required that a customer tell the front desk upon check in that they are paying cash at check out, to avoid being charged on their card, that they should also disclose THAT to customers. I reiterated that this was my feedback, but I doubt it was passed on.
I hope the refund goes through in the next couple of days. I really feel that the staff could use some additional customer service training and that they should let customers using a debit card know beforehand that they will be charging upon check in.
We are disappointed to have had this experience. This hotel is in a very good location and we had hoped to make this the hotel we stay at for every visit, but we will now be exploring other hotel options nearby. I highly doubt we will be back here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hermiston, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Quiet restful stay. Didn't get the room I had wanted as Booking.com messed up but the very helpful lady at the front desk helped fix it on the day of arrival. It was a wonderfully quiet property and I got a nice restful nights sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Milwaukie, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We were in the Medford area for a wedding and the Brookside Inn was the perfect place for our family to stay for the weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean. Beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was small, but the shower pressure and the plush soft towels made up for the lack of space. Breakfast was basic, but everything was clean and replenished often.
Parking was no problem and the inn is conveniently located to merchants. Besides the bathroom being small, the only other bother was the very slow elevator. We would definitely recommend recommend the Brookside Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Patty C
Eugene Or
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

Fairly large suite made the day at the track a pleasure , very friendly staff with a large breakfast and lots of choices . If you're from out of town and planning to race with the Southern Oregon Sports Car Club this is the place to stay , as it's just a couple of miles to the track .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Rogue Regency Inn
Rogue Regency Inn
#10 of 35 in Medford
Homewood Suites by Hilton, Medford

Been to Brookside Inn & Suites White City? Share your experiences!