“Not a place I will ever stay!”
Review of Winchester Bay Inn

Winchester Bay Inn
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We always go to Winchester Bay, Oregon in August for Kool Coastal Nights. We take our Street Rod and attend the show. I was so disappointed in the Winchester Bay Inn. Last year when we stayed there it was ok and met our needs. I will never stay here again!!!!!! This time we stayed there, and we were in room 12 "Their Suite" I found the room very unclean. The carpets appear to be old and needed to be vacuumed badly. The bathroom sink only has cold water--I am not sure if this is legal. The floor in the small kitchen area really needs to be mopped and cleaned much better than it was. It is filthy! The coffee pot had not been cleaned at all, and there was still a coffee filter with coffee grounds in it when my husband went to use it.

The shower gets cold water and then real hot water while you are taking a shower, the towels are small and very thin and didn't smell clean at all. They have tiny bars of soap. There was a switch in the bathroom that you could turn on, and it was on a timer to have heat in the bathroom and they took the knob off the second day we were there so we could not use it. They charged us $115.00 per night for this awful room.

The owner's daughter was there, and she was very nice. However, the owner is really strange and thinks that you are using too much electricity. I heard her yelling at the girls who were cleaning the rooms--hurry do this and the do that, get these rooms cleaned now. They also charge you 25 cents for ice at their Ice Machine. I guess the fishermen, and maybe people who have not read these reviews are ok with this kind of dirty rooms and treatment. We will never stay there again.

After reading some other reviews I think that this is a place you should avoided. Everything that has been said here is so very true. If you want to sleep in a dirty room and be over charged this is the place for you. The owner should not be running a business. Please, please read these reviews before ever making the choice to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Suzanne3140

Reviewed 25 August 2013

After reading some of the reviews I was not very excited to stay at this hotel. Unfortunately I was late in booking my reservation for Cool Coastal nights and this was the only choice within my price range. When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is a little dated, but the rooms were clean, and the location is FANTASTIC! Walking distance for almost everything needed for the weekend. The customer service I received was much better than I expected. As other reviews stated they aren't interested in negotiating on the price of the room, but the price was reasonable. The lady at the front counter was Russian, and she speaks pretty good english. To be honest I can see how other reviews say she/they are rude, but I felt that while she does come across as somewhat abrupt, I didn't find her to be rude, more just dry. I am a to the point kind of person anyway, so this was not an issue as far as I was concerned. The local communities, Reedsport, and Winchester Bay are fairly depressed economically with the exception of the summer months, during the local festivals so most businesses try to snatch up every bit of business possible just to stay afloat. I found this was true for many of the places that I stopped at on our vacation talking with the people I met. One cafe, a coffee shop that served us great sandwiches said that if it wasn't for July and August, January and February would not be possible. I would stay again, and recommend it to anyone looking for a decent hotel with reasonable prices. The location is at the end of a road, so the traffic is almost non existent, the nights are nice an quiet, and the rooms were clean.

1  Thank Jeremy F
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Thank you for pleasant stay. We planned one but stay two nights. The hotel has a functional west coast style. the room was clean and comfortable with friendly staff and provided good value. The bay is close with working boats for fishing. A good selection of bars and diners nearby. The area had a good old world charm about it. Many thanks, Bohdan, Maria. London, England.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Never have we been treated so rudely for asking for a group discount mid week . While we showed up at the hotel lobby the owner became extremely rude and belligerent when we asked for any discount pricing.
I did a drop in without knowing doing any one line research.

8  Thank Sam A
Reviewed 14 August 2013

DANGER!!! DANGER!!!

If you need some excitement in your life or are a crazy person then this is the place for you. We had 10 people on a motorcycle ride that were cold and tired asking a grumpy motel owner if she had any rooms available. She was extremely rude and when asked the price of the room she became even more agitated. When she finally gave us a price, I exclaimed WOW.
At that point she became irate and said that she had to pay the state of Oregon $18,000.00 in taxes. I told her she should not complain to us but rather take it up with the state of Oregon. She then yelled for us to leave and that she would not rent us a room. As we were leaving, she ran to the door and locked it; showed us the sign that she was not required to rent to anyone. As we got on our bikes and in our cars, she unlocked the door and ran out with a camera and started yelling that she was calling the police and started taking pictures of our lic plates. With that done, she ran back in and got something else and came out and started spraying it at one of our ladies on a trike. It turned out to be pepper spray and she sprayed it on her helmet. She then ran over to one of the cars and sprayed it on the window and then into the car. Then she proceeded to hit the female driver on the arm. The driver made it about half a block before succumbing to the pepper spray at which point we called the police and filed a complaint against this person.
This has to be the most bazaar encounter I have ever had with a motel or hotel ever in my life...........Amazing!!!

7  Thank Butler8196
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I reserved a room far in advance for July 6th with my VISA card only to be told when I arrived the people who had the room before me decided to stay. The manager didn't seem to care and I needed to find another place. I drove over 8 hours to get to Winchester Bay to meet up with my family coming up from Arizona. Being the week of the 4th of July it was almost impossibe to find a place to stay and thought I would have to head back home. I called my brother who just arrived at the RV park and he was able to locate a place for me at The Harbor View Motel. Cindy, the owner of the Harbor View Motel was WONDERFUL. My room was extremely clean, comfortable bed, great value and a manager who cares about the people who stay there. The manager at the Winchester Bay Inn had my phone numbers but was toooooo lazy to call me about giving my reserved room away. In my opinion, after seeing what the rooms look like at the Winchester Bay Inn they look dirty and I would rather stay at a dump. If you want a nice place to stay, stay at The Harbor View Motel in Winchester Bay! The owners Cindy and her husband take pride in providing a GREAT place to enjoy your vacation. I stayed at the Harbor View Motel for almost a week and was able to enjoy my visit with my family. JH

Room Tip: Didn't see any good rooms! As I was leaving to go and look at another motel I looked into sever...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jo Ann H
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Well I just don't understand the reviews about rudeness from management. This has now been my second stay at Winchester Bay Inn and both times we have found Yelena, the manager, very pleasant and eager to please, she is a sweetheart. Last time we stayed in room 9 which was very nice with a big king bed and spa bath. This time we stayed in room 2 with two really comfy queen beds with brand new mattresses that were a dream to sleep on, we also had a kitchenette in the room. We had made reservations far in advance for the 4th of July holiday and stayed 4 nights this time. For the time of year we found the rates quite reasonable, I know for an absolute fact that there are way more expensive places to stay in around Reedsport and Winchester, I have found my favorite place and will continue to return to the Winchester Bay Inn where I am now greeted by first name and friendly conversation and the comfort and cleanliness can't be beat, the rooms are always fresh and clean and the atmosphere is friendly. Another wonderful bonus this time was being able to see the fireworks show right from the Inn, what a delightful surprise that was! Although we did not bring them this time, we sometimes travel with our 2 tiny dogs and Winchester Bay Inn is also pet friendly, but you can never tell that when you are in the rooms, they keep the rooms so clean and so fresh. This was a family trip with my daughter and granddaughter and we had a wonderful time. We travel to Reedsport at least a couple times a year, sometimes more and this is where we stay now and refer all our friends and family as well. Walking distance to the harbor and restaurants and minutes from nice beaches and the dunes. Yelena you are a dear, thank you for another wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Have Yelena help you choose a good room for your needs, we found her most helpful and eager to pleas...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 7 in Coos Bay
River House Inn
River House Inn
#1 of 13 in Florence

Been to Winchester Bay Inn? Share your experiences!