“A step back in time, just steps from the Pacific ocean”

Deane's Oceanfront Lodge
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Portland, Oregon
“A step back in time, just steps from the Pacific ocean”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Wish we could have stayed longer in this cute, clean and comfortable vintage motel near Yachats. We always look for independent older-style motels when travelling, and this one is a real find. The owners have done a great job in bringing this place back to life. The vintage bathroom and kitchenette in #12 were so retro-cool and the king sized bed was really comfortable. There's even a firepit out back to keep you warm on the cool nights at the coast! If you want a resonably priced room at the beach and can appreciate a little place with lots of character, Deane's Oceanfront is for you!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Amazing piece of property on the ocean with clean rooms. We motorcycle cross country and loved being able park our bike right in front of the door. No stairs, elevators. Out the back door is a picnic table with small grill, open fire pit, and large grassy area for children and grandchildren to play. Long, wonderful walking beach is just yards away, down the steps and room to run or walk in both directions.

Local restaurants will deliver some fine food if you're on a bike and don't want to go into to town. Otherwise, three restaurants with good menus down the road about 3 miles in Yachats. Delightful owners and lobby area. They have preserved the vintage feel but updated. Most of all the place feels cared for and valued. Additionally, there is a duplex right behind the motel owned by the same folks that can be rented for larger groups. We hope to get our grown children and grandchildren all to the beach and stay for 4-5 days. The families can stay together in the duplex, we visit, and then get our quiet sleep in one of the motel rooms. It's a great location and price in off season. Can say enough good about it.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband & I recently sold our home down the road from Deane's & needed to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks. This is truly the best beach hotel in this area of the Oregon Coast. The hotel has been lovingly restored to its original self, making it a true classic. Beds are good, everything is perfectly clean, the owner & staff are genuinely friendly, and the big yard facing the ocean gives visitors more options for enjoying this 7 mile stretch of beach, which you usually have all to yourself. Nice touch with the available BBQ's. This hotel is sure to become very popular - everyone checking out doesn't want to leave!

Douds IA
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed in Room 6. I am assuming that the owners are in the process of updating the hotel, because the other reviewers seemed much more impressed with their room, so I have to assume that some of the rooms are better than others.

First let me say that the room was exceptionally clean. That being said, it is an older property and this room definitely needed updating. The things I noticed are: most of the electric plugs lack the third hole so I had to rearrange the furniture so that I could plug in my laptop, no alarm clock, no a/c but also no screens on the front windows, the shower head is so low that it only came up to my shoulders, no desk except for a small folding stand, and there is no vanity in the bathroom and hence nowhere to set your toiletries while in the bathroom.

Overall not a bad stay though. The owner was very friendly and they let you borrow from their DVD collection if you want to watch a DVD in your room. I can't say I wouldn't stay here again, because I definitely would, and I would hope that the owners are able to update all the rooms, which would make this little gem into the jewel of the coast.

Room Tip: Probably would be best to ask when booking room to see which rooms are more updated and ask for one...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank a116jxb
Tunachaser, Owner at Deane's Oceanfront Lodge, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Thanks you for taking the time to write your thoughtful review. We actually did just finish renovating all of our rooms so you will find the same mix of vintage charm with modern amenities in all of our rooms. In renovating vs remodeling, we've worked hard to blend the vintage charm (and some quirks) of original fixtures, salmon tile and glass block showers and real wood walls with modern amenities like electric fireplaces, appliances, Wifi, satellite TV, new floor coverings, decorations, window treatments and beds in each room. All that being said,we definitely don't have a modern feel about our place as that's what we're trying to avoid by preserving as much of the original "feel" as possible.

During this coming winter, we're going to add more plug in options and fold up tables as well addressing the 3 low shower heads that we have left. A little bit of trivia is that they were originally places at that height in 1947 so that the bee hive hairdos of the day wouldn't get wet during showering!

We're so thankful for all of our nice reviews and really appreciate all of the input from our great customers. We're definitely glad to see that you would come to see us again and we'll have improved even more when you return.

Thanks again, Glen and Katherine - Owners
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed here back in March and I just realized my submission didn't go through when I reviewed this wonderful place! Our intentions were for a quick romantic getaway after being cooped up in the house all winter. We planned to stay one night, which turned into three. We never wanted to leave! I believe there may be claw marks from my boyfriend having to drag me out of the room to go home. The rooms are tastefully decorated in nautical themes. I loved that they had hardwood flooring since we brought in a lot of sand! They are very dog friendly. We even got a tote "doggie bag" with treats, poo bags, and a really nice dog dish. We still use the tote and dish weekly. The owner actually had the same breed of dog we had. They played in the office. A much better welcoming than we usually get when traveling with a dog! Every night we would light the electric fireplace, sip on some wine (they provided glasses & an opener) and relax on the bed with our dog. They also provided a doggie sheet & towels since they know dogs are getting dirty on the beach. Speaking of beach, there was a gorgeous view out our window of the water just a few steps away. I really liked how Deane's is situated just in between tourist towns so you are close enough for food but far enough away that you have the beach practically to your self. We dream of coming back all the time and hope that time is very soon.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have ocean view. Trust us, it's worth an extra few bucks!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed for 1 night in Deane's Lodge and thoroughly enjoyed it, the staff are friendly and the hotel room is cozy and nicely refurbished.

The best part of the hotel is the beach access, we arrived at sunset and got up for sunrise to enjoy the great views over a deserted unspolit beach. Bring some food for a BBQ with you as well as its perfect to relax out the back watching the ocean.

Great great little place on a stunning stretch of coastline.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hood River, OR
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I was so impressed with my one night stay at Deane's. I arrived right at the start of check-in time and my room was all ready to go. It was very cozy and clean and had just what I needed. The people that ran it were very friendly, helpful, and accommodating, as well. My only regret is that I couldn't have stayed longer. I would definitely return to Deane's and recommend it to others, too!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Adobe Resort
Hallmark Resort
Hallmark Resort
#2 of 24 in Newport
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,670 reviews

Been to Deane's Oceanfront Lodge? Share your experiences!