“Most Relaxing trip Ever!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yachats
Overleaf Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 September 2010

My wife and I were celebrating our one year anniversary. We got an incredible room at the Overleaf Lodge and Spa with a jacuzzi tub and a fireplace. It was on the second floor. We could see the ocean from the room, the tub, and even when we were lying in bed or sitting on the couch. INCREDIBLE. The sounds of the waves (my favorite sounds) put me instantly at peace. The King Size bed was incredible, the place was immaculate. On the second day we went out to explore the area to the south, starting at the Sea Lion Caves and working our way back to the Overleaf. I have been up and down many parts of the 101 including the redwoods and the part south of Monterey in California. This is just as beautiful. Light beams streamed through the trees. We enjoyed the Sea Lion Caves, Haceta Head lighthouse, several beaches, tidepools, and of course, Cape Perpetua. It was an awesome view! Then back to the Overleaf. That night we had some super fresh seafood at a little restaurant there in Yachats! Checkout time was 11:00AM and we enjoyed the room until the last minute. If we didn't have to go to work the next day we would have definitely booked an extra night.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Packer-Drew, Manager at Overleaf Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2010

Wow, relaxation seems to be the prevailing theme right now. Thank you for the very complimentary review. Our guests just love the relaxation aura of Yachats and the Overleaf. We host many couples on their anniversary or on the year before their first anniversary – more commonly known as their ‘honeymoon.’ You cannot get away from the ocean at the Overleaf as every room is oceanfront. The sounds of the surf just lull you away to quiet reflection or peaceful sleep. Also, as ‘bendacious’ noted, there are a lot of great side trips from the Overleaf if you want to explore. Two of the best are the Cape Perpetua National Forest Scenic Area just a few miles south of Yachats and the Sea Lion Caves about 20 minutes south. Additionally, the Haceta Head Lighthouse is just a minute north of the Sea Lion Caves and is reputed to be the ‘most photographed lighthouse in America.’ I am not sure this can be proven, but you will see why it might just justify this label when you visit. Thank you again!
541-330-1286

Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 12 September 2010

The location of the Overleaf right on the oceanfront is breathtaking. But what makes it extra special is the walking path right in front that goes for miles along the oceanfront. We were not aware of this path, and so we wished we had stayed in Yachats an extra night to take advantage of it. It goes for miles (not sure how many) and so many people were taking advantage of it.

The hotel itself was clean and neat. Our room was comfortable and had an oceanview (I think all rooms do). It even had a wet bar sink in the room. The included breakfast buffet was good although not as ample as the Hamptons & Best Westerns.

We ate at the Adobe, which was a short drive or walk along the path. The Ocean view was great and food was OK but it was nice not to have to go far.

Didn't use the spa facilities but I can see this as a great getaway for a pampered, relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review of your experiences at the Overleaf Lodge. Aside from the Ocean itself, we feel that the oceanfront walking trail is one of our greatest amenities. This trail technically is an Oregon State Park, but we take ‘ownership’ of it and maintain it in front of the Overleaf and in each direction about ¼ of a mile. While it is gravel, I occasionally see wheelchairs and walkers out on the trail. The trail makes nearly a mile of the beautiful rocky coastline nearly accessible to all! And yes, it does extend north to the sandy beach where one could walk all the way to Waldport, 8 miles north, if they were so inclined.
You are correct that we do not provide the same breakfast as some of the larger chain hotels, but our breakfast changes every morning, so we have more variety, and there is something freshly baked every morning also. We also have our own homemade granola that many of our guests ask for the recipe or request to purchase a bag of granola to take with them. And we go out of our way to provide options for our guests with food sensitivities or dietary restrictions, for such ailments as diabetes and gluten intolerances (Celiac or Crones). Just ask and we have options in our kitchen. While we may not provide waffles, bacon and sausage every morning, we feel that our breakfasts are superior to the Hampton’s and Best Western’s.
Next time, I hope you take advantage of our spa facilities. All of the oceanfront spa facilities are part of our amenities where there is no extra charge, unless you want to indulge in a massage or facial. Thank you once again!

Reviewed 10 September 2010

My husband Brian and I booked the Sunset Suite with in-room Jacuzzi as a romantic getaway for Labor Day Weekend. Being the DINKS that we are, we planned this at the last minute as usual, and were surprised to find room available at the Overleaf Lodge.

Upon arrival, we opened a bottle of wine. This was more of a chore than it needed to be for two reasons: First, the corkscrew that was provided in the room’s kitchenette was absolutely useless. (We decided this was our own fault as we usually pack our own, but forgot). Second, I searched every cupboard in the kitchen for wine glasses, and found them all empty. I finally opened the dishwasher, which was completely filled with dishes, including – thank goodness – four wine glasses. I did a quick inspection and decided it was safe to assume the dishes were clean, though no note had been left to that effect. The wine was urgently calling our names. No time to wash dishes.

Wine finally in hand, we sat on the back deck watching the sun set over the crashing waves. It was so lovely and relaxing – it seemed we were in for a fantastic weekend. After the sun had gone and the first few evening stars appeared, we decided it was time to hit the inviting, extra deep two-person Jacuzzi for more wine drinking and wave watching.

And here is where our stay took a turn for the worse. My husband filled the tub with water and we both put on the bathrobes that were provided in the room, ready to shed them and hop in. But first, Brian turned on the jets for a moment, then turned them off again. As soon as he turned off the jets, I noticed several small bits of something floating in the water and exclaimed, “What are THOSE?” Upon inspection, we decided THOSE were bugs -- or bits of bugs.

This prompted an immediate call to the front desk to see if we could switch rooms. Brian handled the complaint call. He’s nicer than I am. I heard the call from his end.
“Can we switch rooms?”
“Oh, your completely full, huh? Then I don’t want to pay the full rate for tonight since the Jacuzzi is unusable…”
“Ok, we’ll pay the standard room rate for tonight.”
“Honey get some clothes on, they’re sending up maintenance.”

The friendly maintenance guy arrived within a few minutes. He leaned over the tub to inspect (carefully placing his pack of Camels on the ledge so not to drop them in the tub), and confirmed we indeed had bits of bugs in our tub. Centipede segments to be exact. He bid us a good night, took his pack of Camels and left.

After several rounds of “What do you want to do now?” I don’t know, what do you want to do now?,” we settled on watching Sports Center, then soon went to bed. The bed was comfortable enough with plenty of pillows once I grabbed the extras that were stashed in the closets.

The next morning, Brian went downstairs to fix a tray of the Hotel’s continental breakfast to bring back to the room. Their continental breakfast is lovely and included delicious home baked quiche. But, when I sat down to enjoy my tasty quiche, I discovered that one of the chairs was broken. The back pad had completely come off and was just leaning against the chair frame. Where the pad should have been attached, nails were sticking out.

Now we were starting to get grumpy. So, later in the morning on the way to the Spa, we stopped by the front desk to discuss the bug situation and the chair situation. There were two women behind the desk. One of them was fairly nice and helpful. The other will forever be known to us as “Cranky Grandma.” She appeared to be the manager -- or at least the one "in charge." We proceeded to describe the problem with the broken chair. I even showed pictures I had taken with my iPhone, which will now be posted on Trip Advisor. Cranky Grandma gave me a scowl and said “Well, if we don’t know about it we can’t fix it.” To that I replied, “Your house keeping staff should be able to notice a broken chair with nails sticking out the back and fix it before the next guests arrive.” At that, Cranky Grandma gave me the stink eye and walked away. As a guest of the hotel, I found this attitude unacceptable. But the nice lady did ensure that chair was traded for a non-broken one.

Upstairs we went for a much needed Spa appointment. First, we lounged in the large soaking tub overlooking the ocean. The view was amazing. Next, I indulged in a blissfully relaxing facial, which I would highly recommend to anyone staying there.

While I was in the Spa, our tub was scoured and the broken chair was replaced. Cranky Grandma even dropped off a little bouquet of flowers and acknowledged that our stay was not fully meeting our expectations. I asked Brian if she actually apologized. He said she sort of did, without ACTUALLY apologizing.

Later that night we enjoyed a fantastic dinner at Panache Restaurant in Newport. Then, we tried round 2 in the Jacuzzi tub. After several tests of the jets we had all systems go… No bugs! And we enjoyed the evening we’d hoped to have the night before.

There are many good things about this place. The Spa is great. The continental breakfast far exceeded my expectations of anything called “continental breakfast.” The view from our room was amazing. The room was generally comfortable. The walking trail behind the hotel is perfect for a morning stroll. All in all, The Overleaf has the makings of a great place. But I can’t overlook the bugs, the broken chair and the Cranky Grandma’s attitude. She could have made it all ok (and avoided this review), with a sincere apology and an offer of a free night stay or something along those lines.

Upon checkout, we paid the standard room rate for the first night, and the stated rate for the Sunset Suite with Jacuzzi for the second night. They also gave us a $100 credit, which basically paid for my facial. I wished they would have offered this earlier. I would have felt better about our stay while we were still there.

Could we recommend Overleaf Lodge to our friends? We aren’t sure. Given the poor attention to detail and the negative attitude we experienced from management, I’m concerned this place could go downhill fast. On the other hand, with a little improvement in their customer service, and a little more diligence on the part of housekeeping, it could be a fantastic place.

7  Thank 2DINKsfromPDX
Packer-Drew, Manager at Overleaf Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent stay at the Overleaf Lodge. We appreciate your positive feedback about our continental breakfast and spa, and hope that the next time you come to stay with us you will enjoy improvements in both the housekeeping and demeanor of our staff. We have spent considerable time reviewing the details of your review with our staff and are using this as an additional tool for improving the experiences for all our future guests.

Owner’s Representative

Reviewed 8 September 2010

We intended on staying for just 2 nights before moving up the coast for the final 2 nights of our trip, however, we loved the Overleaf so much that we ended up spending our entire trip there. The room was so relaxing, the view of the ocean was amazing, and the staff was incredible. I could not believe how relaxed I felt by the end of the trip. We plan on returning to the Overleaf as often as possible!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Ahhhhhh, relaxation. Once again, that is the typical agenda for many of our guests. Thank you for the kind comments. I am glad that our staff was so accommodating for your stay. The view can’t be beat! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 28 August 2010

This is the third year in a row that my sisters and I have chosen the Overleaf as our home base for our vacation on the Oregon coast. The personnel at the Overleaf are friendly, helpful and accommodating. When my sister needed something and could not find it in the little onsite store, one of the front desk personnel went out and picked it up for her with her even having to ask! The rooms are clean, the ocean view is the best and the area is tranquil. I highly recommend the Overleaf for a great getaway escape. You will come back relaxed, yet wanting to return to the beautiful Oregon coast soon.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2010

My husband and I and my parents (in their eighties) just spent a priceless night at the Overleaf Lodge. First of all: I was tremendously impressed with the service, especially the way they dealt with a reservation snafu that was probably my fault. Secondly, the rooms are large and luxurious with stunning views. The location can't be beat, right overlooking a State Park with easy access to a long and lovely walkway. We had cooking facilities in our room and decided to make dinner, to enjoy every minute of our stay. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The only thing I would change is the mattress! Too soft for my taste.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We don't get the chance to get away often so we wanted to find a very special place for us to belatedly celebrate our anniversary. And we found it at the Overleaf Lodge & Spa.

We had a wonderful view from our room and the bed was very comfortable. We loved listening to the ocean at night and since there's no room for fires on the rocky shoreline, I knew that I could throw the windows open and enjoy the refreshing sea air untainted by wood smoke. The hotel doesn't allow wood fires on its premises either. That's a big deal if you're an asthma sufferer like me. Nothing will kill a vacation more quickly than a trip to the ER.

The hotel offered a varied menu for their complimentary breakfast, including a vegetarian option (a tofu, potato & cheese tortilla wrap) but gluten-free options were limited to hard boiled eggs and cut-up fresh fruit. Their "oatmeal" was a 5-grain hot cereal, which is not GF. However, when I asked if the tortillas were flour and corn, explaining why, the hotel staff came through and whipped up a plate of scrambled eggs for me. I'm used to making do so I was delighted that they did this. The desk clerk told me that they are trying to bring in more GF options, which is commendable. They also offered 2 bowls of fruit, one with grapefruit and one without, a plus if, like my husband, you are on medicine that doesn't mix well with grapefruit.

This is an expensive place to stay but given how well my health and dietary needs were met, in addition to our wonderful room, I felt we gained full value for the cost. We will definitely stay here again!

NOTE: I do not have celiac disease, I am gluten-intolerant. I avoid gluten but I can generally tolerate cross contamination, to a degree, without a problem. My comments regarding the lodge's GF accommodations are based on this.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Deane's Oceanfront Lodge
#3 of 24 in Newport
Fireside Motel
Fireside Motel
#4 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Overleaf Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!