“Fireside Motel is great!”
Review of Fireside Motel

Fireside Motel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great location right on the coast. Beautiful rocky shoreline visible through the windows. You can sleep with the sound of the waves through the open door and window. Fireplace was suprisingly useful even in July!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights in this quaint "motel". The location is superb . The rooms are late 80s decor. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. If you don't like dogs, stay away. Ocean breeze and sounds at night. Wonderful walking trail along the beach. We will go there again.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in Yachats 5 nights at the end of July. My inlaws wanted us to stay at their favorite resort there but it was a bit pricy, so we chose the Fireside. We did spring for the oceanfront room, and are so glad! Amazing views out the large windows, a small but usable deck, and a very clean if somewhat outdated room. Every staff member we encountered was super friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Surprisingly, the resort my inlaws raved about and showed us pictures from was right next door! While the Overleaf was certainly nicer, more modern, etc, the view was identical and we saved about $100 a night. Next time I will take advantage of their spa!
The only problem my husband had is that the Fireside is a non-smoking property. He was reprimanded for smoking on the balcony (he never smokes indoors). He was told that he would have to go downstairs to one of the benches out front on the beach. Poor guy! He survived.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rena M, Guest Relations Manager at Fireside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Fireside Motel. We are so pleased to know how much you enjoyed your stay. On your next visit you can purchase a day use pass for the Overleaf Spa or reserve a 60 minute treatment and have full use of the spa facilities for the day. However you spend your time, the sights and sounds of the ocean are always sublime.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for two nights in May in a non-view room. The price difference between view and non-view was steep, and either way you're steps from the ocean, so I decided to save my money. The room was average and seemed clean, though there was a corner that appeared to have been missed by the vacuum. My only complaint was that the day I left I couldn't get the shower tap to work. It was freezing cold for five minutes no matter how I turned or jiggled it and then suddenly became scalding. I mentioned it when I checked out and was told I should have called them so someone could come fix it. As if I wanted to get redressed and then wait around so an employee could come jiggle the tap.

Overall this place was good and a decent value for the money but not somewhere I'd go out of my way to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kelly B

We are glad you enjoyed your two day stay with us. We certainly are in a fabulous location and the ocean is steps away, no matter which type of room you stay in. We are sorry that you experienced fluctuations in the water temperature on your last morning. We have since looked into this, but we do wish we had known about it prior to your arrival so that we could have prevented any discomfort.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

When I was a kid my family stayed in a series of motels like this on vacation. This place has been thoroughly updated from then with modern amenities. The staff is super friendly and knowledgeable. The town of Yachats is really cute. The 405 trail was a good easy walk and the drive to restaurants was short. The sound of the waves lulled us to sleep. We went with the picture window at the end of the motel rather than an open balcony. We could see the water without having to be outside as it was chilly.

Room Tip: If you get cold easily and still want a water view and end unit with out a balcony is perfect.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rena M, Guest Relations Manager at Fireside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review. Yachats and the Fireside Motel can easily bring forth a nostalgia for family vacations and simpler times. And as you mentioned, the Fireside has been thoroughly updated, as recently as this past spring, and it is equipped with modern amenities and an impeccable view. The room you stayed in is one of two very popular rooms that boast a spectacular view from the large picture windows. It is a fantastic choice if a balcony is not desired. We appreciate your choice to stay with us and we thank you for your feedback and compliments.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have stayed at this motel many times over the years. The ocean view rooms are comfortably adequate although the window table hanging lamp at head level bears watching. It is a dog friendly motel and caters to dog owners by providing towels and a protective bed sheet for pet use in the room.The surrounding grassy areas are clean and I rate it highly as a place to take your Pet(s).
In the past I have found the front desk staff to be helpful and friendly. On my recent visit this was not the case neither at check in or check out. While one could say they were reasonably business like the normal smiles and courtesies one expects to receive as a guest were totally absent-what a shame. While I tend to agree with other reviewers that the rates are somewhat high for the condition and quality of the room,the closeness to the ocean and the pet friendliness is the trade off. We have just discovered the fine amenities at the affiliated lodging next door (Overleaf Lodge) and that will clinch coming back for further visits.

Room Tip: Second Floor Ocean View rooms highlight the incredible ocean action.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Fireside Motel. We have a great appreciation for all of our guests and making our guests feel welcome is very important to us, so we are sorry that you didn't feel the staff was as friendly as they have been in the past. The fireside is very pet-friendly and we appreciate your high rating as a place to bring your own dog. It sounds like you took a tour of the Overleaf Lodge & Spa during your visit. The Overleaf would be thrilled to welcome you as a guest. The Overleaf amenities include use of the spa facilities, an expansive breakfast that changes every day, an exercise room, complimentary guest laundry, a computer room and Wi-Fi. The Overleaf is a non-pet, non-smoke property.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Fireside sits right in front of rocks where the waves crash at high tide and there are tide pools at low tide. The 405 trail runs along the back of the hotel(between the hotel and the rocks) and many benches are provided so sitting or walking is an option. In another review, someone complained that the staff was not friendly or helpful; they must not have gotten to meet Michele! I was so disappointed because we arrived just past low tide so the tide pools were pretty much covered by water at that point. So Michelle directed me a few mikes down Hwy 101 to Strawberry Hill, a beach well-known to locals. There I got to see lots of anemones and starfish. Michelle also gave us some suggestions for the next day's drive as we headed south on 101. The Fireside Inn definitely gets our vote for best reading material anywhere we have ever stayed; in each room there is a copy of the Fireside Explorer(available for sale in their very reasonably priced gift shop). Written by a local man, this has articles about the tides and other relevant nature topics. It was on,y because I had read this oodles that I was able to identify some sea creatures that had washed up onto the beach at our next location!

Room Tip: Not sure if all rooms were on the ocean, but the ones on the ocean all have great views and a privat...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Michele. You traveled a long way to see tide pools and she certainly steered you in the right direction when she sent you to Strawberry Hill. It is a fun location (and a field research site) with an incredible diversity of sea life and a large number of tide pools. We are glad you enjoyed reading the Fireside Explorer. It is packed full of interesting tidbits of local lore and learning. Thank you for staying with us on your Oregon coast adventure.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Deane's Oceanfront Lodge
#3 of 11 in Yachats
Hallmark Resort
Hallmark Resort
#2 of 24 in Newport

Been to Fireside Motel? Share your experiences!