“Lots of Potential” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alder Bistro & Lounge - CLOSED

Alder Bistro & Lounge
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Alder bistro & the dispensary lounge specializes in house made Pacific Northwest cuisine with a Southern flair, featuring, local, wild-caught & organic ingredients. With our own in-house patissiere, the rich, seasonal desserts are always something to look forward to. In the lounge, we feature Oregon wines, beers & spirits. Our focus is on bringing the freshest, finest quality foods to your table at the best possible prices.
Issaquah, Washington
“Lots of Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

The Alder Bistro just opened a few months ago in Yachats…it’s in the building that used to be the Le Sere restaurant (which we miss - In between it was a Mexican restaurant). The restaurant furnishings and the hanging plants are the same as Le Sere use to have, so we did feel at home. For lunch I had the smoked turkey, brie and, pear sandwich…it was a creative combination, but the taste with the brie didn’t quite work for me. I also tried the crab chowder. It was tasty, but a little too heavy (with cream) for my taste. My wife’s French onion soup was good, but a little too salty. So, I’d say there is potential there, but it isn’t quite hitting on all cylinders yet. The service was good and we’ll give dinner a try on our next trip to the coast.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BigOrangeCat

Yachats, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Get your senses ready for fresh fresh delicious tastes and aromas.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I think I found the best food house on the Oregon coast, in Yachats: The Alder Bistro House! Reasonable prices for Yachats, non-gmo, mostly organic, I watched the cook go out to the garden and pick the dill for my hollandaise sauce. Had the Mac and Cheese with crab, bacon, rock fish, and prawns, it was AWESOME. And I see on the internet, they have won a Taste Choice Award. Affordable healthy YUM!

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank livingthelava
“Slow slow slow, overpriced and about average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

In short, this was a very disappointing dining experience. It took over an hour for us to get our food, and the portions were very small. The food was not all that well prepared, but the server had a very sweet energy.

Oakton, Virginia
“Average, at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Oregon is known for attention to GF menus. Alder takes it a step farther making us want to scream for gluten when leaving. My fish tacos were the worst I've had as they were served on small, tasteless faux tortillas that disintegrated in one's hand. And that was not due to fish, as there was hardly any to be found. My wife's turkey and Brie sandwich ( which she reported to be "just so-so") when coupled with the clean, fresh, inviting atmosphere raised the total experience to average.

Visited August 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best brunch ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Short answer - if you are driving through or staying in Yachats, this is a must stop eatery, especially for Sunday brunch.

Long answer ...

Well, I had traveled to just south of Yachats with some good friends of mine to camp and visit Thor's Well. We had breakfast plans, but awoke to rain. We only had wet fire wood to try and cook food with, so we decided to try and find a nice breakfast somewhere in town. I am very thankful for that rain.

We drove into town and selected the Alder Bistro. It was Sunday brunch and our meal came with a free glass of perseco. With so many delicious options to choose from on the menu, we took our time deciding. No one rushed us even one through our meal.

After ordering, we sippef our bubbly and coffee waiting for our orders. Once the food arrived everyone was happy with the choices. I got the French Toast Sando, with cheesy grits. Other people in our group had an omelet, soup, and biscuits and gravy. Everything was incredible. If you were to order the same meal in Portland or Seattle, it would be easily double or triple the price. Things were locally sourced, organic and perfectly cooked. The ketchup was even organic. Items on the menu were marked gluten free and vegetarian. The sugar options on the table were 'sugar in raw' and 'stevia', no nutra-sweet to be seen. Although I didn't have any of the coffee my companions raved about it.

You would think with some bubbly and a wonderful meal it would over. It wasn't, our waitress tempted us with some baked treats from the local in town bakery. A nut flour chocolate torte and a slice of cheesecake. Both insanely good.

The service was also excellent, fast, polite and friendly. Our waitress drew us a map to help us find Thor's Well because apparently it isn't marked on any of the signs.

I thank the rain very much for soaking our firewood and sending us into town, as I will remember that blissful brunch for a very, very long time.

• Visited June 2014