“disabled and abandoned” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Medford
“disabled and abandoned”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Although my caregiver went crazy and abandoned me with two great dane dogs, I can not say enough about the assistance I received from staff and management of the Silver Surf!
In younger days I was at the coast all the time, my walking ability has become so limited a caregiver is the only way I could manage with my dogs. I had been longing to go to the coast for several years and the Silver Surf was more than I could hope for.
The staff assisted me with walking my dogs, helping me so much more than ever expected. The ocean could be seen from my balcony, my dogs loved the beach, although I would have liked to go to it more, it was a beautiful easy walk flat sandy beach. The beach access was closer than any place I had been before with a great price. The rooms were comfortable like being at home, having a kitchen in all of them is a plus, especially if your vacation turns to a nightmare, my saving grace was being at the Silver Surf Motel. These days it is hard to find people to help and get involved, those at Silver Surf Motel are compassionate caring people. My vacation turned out to be the best time ever with the help of staff!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Cathleen A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to this hotel and it has so many pluses. There are a few things lacking but most of it will probably be solved by next spring or summer. Great view of the ocean from our room, very dog friendly, without that dog smell. Super clean. The rooms are a little tired but not everything in the rooms are old. You can tell efforts are being made. They have new tv's but sometimes the signal is sketchy. Wifi was iffy except in certain areas but the Resident Manager (she is really nice) assured me that new routers are on order and will fix the problem. They have a very nice indoor pool and jacuzzi that the kids enjoyed. We used the kitchenette to prepare a couple of meals and it's well equiped. I wanted to give this hotel 5 stars but I just couldn't quite justify it. I bet if we come back next year I will give it more stars.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank spelkey56
Wilsonville, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay! Staff was very friendly and helpful. The bottom floors are available to you if you have a pet. We stayed in Room #23 which was very clean with a kitchen. Balcony for sitting and enjoying the great view of the ocean. We left our sliding door open all night to the sound of crashing waves. Only $10 extra for having our dog stay. They even have clean little towels rolled up in the bathroom with a sign "For our very special pet quests - to clean their feet". Just a short walk behind the units you have access to the beautiful beach! Would definitely recommend a stay there especially if you have a pet!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gail M
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here just one night passing through to go to the sea lion caves. The hotel is comfortable, the staff is friendly, the room was very clean and lovely. We didn't use the kitchen, but checked it out enough to know it had everything we would have needed. I wished we had had more time in the morning to have breakfast on the balcony. We were three adults but this would be the perfect spot for families or groups. there are two seating areas in the back--well lit at night--and the pool looked inviting. We had a bed and a sleep sofa which my friend said was comfortable. For the price, I think we had an excellent experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Terry F
Spearfish, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Silver Surf Motel and enjoyed every minute! It is a little older facility and shows its age but work appears to be ongoing. The king suites were not available at the time we were there so we had a double queen on the upper level. The room included a gas fireplace, a kitchen with a s
mall stove, oven and fridge with all the basics necessary for cooking, including pots and pans. Nice option! The sliding doors gave on to a small balcony with an excellent view of the beach and the incoming tide. Wonderful! There is beach access from the property...just a few steps. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom was small but clean & efficient. Front desk personnel were pleasant and helpful. The Silver Surf is north of Yachats...beach extends several miles to the north but only a short distance to the south. At that point, you have to take the Oregon Trail to get into Yachats. There are markers but at one point, the trail is on private property and it's not really clear where to go. We stayed on what looked like footpath and found the trail along streets and the road because the shore line has eroded in some areas. Would not recommend trying to follow it in the dark. There is a pool and hot tub although we didn't use them. The front office has a variety of games and DVDs as well as beach toys for guests. Prices were very reasonable. This would be a great location for couples and for families to get together as they also have cabins. We will plan to return.

Room Tip: 31 - upper left hand - no one walking past your room, quiet. Leave the sliding glass door cracked to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SDCooks
Springfield, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Went after the Labor weekend was over and kids back at school with my 2 doggies. Enjoyed the indoor pool and Jacuzzi. Saved money by eating & preparing my own meals. Nothing more relaxing than a cup of coffee on the balcony listening to the ocean waves! It appears that they are in the process of redoing stair railings and other upkeeping. The tile and bathroom fixtures looked to be upgraded as well. Everything was clean and fresh. Plus got a wonderful bonus of being able to see a pod of whales. They stayed for about a good 2 hrs. Many guests were counting the blowholes as to how many whales were out there. Thanks for a memoriable time!

Room Tip: Besides a two story motel with dogs being allowed on the first floor only, they also have cottages...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Oregonspirit
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

There's nothing fancy about the Silver Surf and that's part of it's appeal. It's clean and comfortable with an amazing view of the beach. It doesn't have a restaurant but is very close to Yachats where there are a number of good ones. I would definitely stay there again if I was in the area. A great value!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Timothy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Deane's Oceanfront Lodge
#3 of 11 in Yachats
The Dublin House Motel
The Dublin House Motel
#9 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!