“Dog's on the Beach”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Eugene, Oregon
“Dog's on the Beach”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had a wonderful time. We stayed in one of the remodeled pet-friendly rooms which was very clean. It was nice having a kitchen to cook our meals. The dogs loved the beach, running and playing ball. We sat on the balcony and watched the sunset, Very relaxing!

The innkeepers were very happy, friendly and helpful. They were doing a St. Patrick's Day special with a weekend full of fun activities and a dinner Saturday.

This will be our new place to stay when we go to the coast with our dogs.

The dogs also really liked the dog treats that were in the room with their beach towels.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cristy R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just returned from a last minute getaway to Yachats and found this gem. It was perfect place for me and my puppy, Cosette. The building itself is older and this is not a fancy resort. But if you are wanting to step out your door onto the beach, listen to the waves crash all night, swim laps or soak in the hot tub, and not spend a whole lot...then this is your place. I didn't have to worry that my dog was too messy (all that sand!) or being too loud because the folks at the motel were very dog friendly and accommodating. Almost all the rooms on the bottom floor are pet friendly so we had plenty of other dogs to visit. The kitchenette was perfect for cooking some of my meals and then the manager recommended the best fish dinner at Luna's in Yachats (definitely try the halibut), I wasn't expecting a resort, but I was pleasantly surprised on how comfortable I was, how well I slept, and how badly I wanted to stay longer. I will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SondraTootell
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The pool and hot tub had gross Alge all the way around it. Hot tub jets did not work. The carpet was out dated the rooms were not clean!! There was dog food from someone before left on the floor. The shower pipes were coming out the wall. The back door was very old it didnt close all the way the balcony frame was coming off. No maid services at all. They invaded our privacy by waiting until we left for dinner at 5pm to go in our rooms and search through our stuff. We were kicked out of the motel at 7pm with extra charges and no refund for the night we missed. They ruined our vacation! Not to mention the family and I are very sick!!!

• Stayed February 2014
6 Thank maggiemay91
SilverSurfInnkeepers, Manager at Silver Surf Motel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
First of all, when you give a review it should be honest and mention the actual events that occurred. I am more than sure had you not been asked to leave, you would not even be writing a review on Trip Advisor. I found your mother to be very excited and happy when making this reservation. She was thrilled with her tax refund and wanted to treat her kids to a weekend at the beach, and reserved 3 rooms. She was so nice and looking forward to coming that I made a point to put her in one of our brand new remodeled rooms that no one had yet stayed in. You were all very happy when you arrived to checkin 2 and 1/2 hours early, and were even understanding when you found that the rooms were not yet ready. A few hours later when you returned to check-in. one person decided to take responsibility and pay for all 3 rooms, and sign for them. When this person checked in, everyone was present and our smoking policy was gone over with you in detail. When one of the guests questioned, we specifically stated where smoking was allowed. All was fine this evening and we had no complaints or issues brought to our attention by you, about the rooms, the pool or shower pipes. In fact the following morning, myself and a housekeeper had a full converstion with your brother in the lot. He proceeded to tell us what a great place this is and how much fun the family was having.

In the late afternoon of the 2nd day we started receiving phonecalls about marijuana smoke coming from the balconies, and naming rooms. I phoned your mother immediately and she admitted it was her and her husband (the own who claimed responsibility and signed the no smoking agreement). Of course it was cigarettes, she stated. I called the rooms back to let them know the problem was resolved, as we watched all of you pull out of the parking lot. One of the rooms we called back told us there was smoke seeping under the adjoining door and you all were nowhere to be found. Do not disturb signs are irrelevant when there is smoke coming from a room, verified by the fire department. When we entered the room we walked into a cloud of pot smoke and bongs all over the room, one taller than the tv. Unfortunate for us, this happened to be the brand new remodeled room, that we later found bong water spilled on the new carpet.....Thank you for that. Please know that this is the only room there were smoke complaints about that we felt needed to be entered. We did not enter your room or your brothers.

Absolutely....you were kicked out! Had either of the 2 parties responsible answered their cell phones, you would have known much sooner than 7pm. When we saw you return, we called and let you know. With your verbal actions specifically, in the lot, and the level of intoxication our staff believed to be true, we called the Sherriff. After you departed we checked out the other 2 rooms. The upstairs was doused with very bad cologne that will take forever to get rid of, and your room has multiple burn marks on the night stand and pine fireplace media stand, as well as resin all over the room and carpet. All rooms had to be completely stripped, fumigated, shampooed, and I can't even resolve the cologne yet. There is a $150 fine for smoking in any room and it is not only stated on the reservation card, it is posted in the rooms. Your mother even agreed that we were very clear about this upon check in when I originally called her. I din't feel it necessary to charge you $450 for the 3 rooms, so we did you a favor and only charged you for damage in 2 rooms.

At this time, we do not have a pool filled with algee, dog food in our rooms, pipes falling out of the walls or any other thing in our rooms that would make any guest sick. What we do have, is damaged furniture, stained carpet, a police report, pictures, and your family on camera screaming profanity and slamming our office door with vular gestures.

So please, when writing a reviews that reflect hard working people's business, let's be honest.
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This motel is very dog friendly. The staff are odd, messed up my credit card form terribly, I hope I won't be overcharged for that and are not aware of privacy. The motel is pretty clean and has great views! The whole hotel could use some upkeep. The rooms are out of date, bad carpet, bad bedspread, no extra blankets, bad pictures, old bathrooms, no fan, no air conditioning, needs paint. We love having a kitchenette and love having beach access. They say they have Wifi but don't believe that for a second. The rooms are spacious and have a deck that overlooks the ocean! We had no hot water one morning in the middle of my shower! I told the staff and they laughed and said a fuse blew. They did not apologize or hint at making it up to me. The water went from hot to freezing in a nano second and did not return to hot for more than an hour. They have an old pool that is very chlorinated.

Room Tip: Dog friendly rooms are on the first floor. #30 is the end room. We stayed in 29 and it is a good l...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BorderCreek
SilverSurfInnkeepers, Manager at Silver Surf Motel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Anne, I apologize for your disappointment and will look closely at the points you have mentioned, that are legitimate. I would like to clarify that there was no issue with your credit card or the amount processed. You chose to split the room on 2 seperate credit cards when you paid, and that is acceptable. However, this paticular machine only allows one transaction per room per day, and requires an additional step to be taken by the clerk when printing out the receipt. This occurs so seldomly that the clerk was not familiar with the process. I immediately followed up on this transaction to make sure you would not experience any complications with your bank. When I called your room, it was to assure you that the transaction was complte and accurate, there was intention of disturbing you or invading your privacy.
We have thousands of guests that have been coming here for years and love the comfortable simplicity and location of our property. The rooms are very clean and accommodating for our guests. Yes, the property is over 80 years old and needs some updating. We are currently tiling the entry and kitchen areas, replacing the balcony slider doors and the balcony railings and pickets. We have 2 cottages under complete remodel and are making headway daily. As new managers taking over this past October, we are carefully choosing what the priorities are, and addressing them first. The exterior does need painting but this is difficult to achieve in the middle of the winter. Painting is scheduled for late May.
If you are ever in the area, I invite you to tour the cabins we have been working on, as well as the upper level (non-pet rooms) The upper level has brand new updated bedding and quilts. When we decide how to cost effectively update bedding that is used daily by dogs, we will do so. The bedding in the pet rooms is in great condition and exceptionally clean, with 4 pillows on every bed and back up blankets in the closet. The patterns may be out of date to your tastes but that doesn't effect most guests vacations, nor do pictures and wall hangings. When you were here over New Year's weekend, we were sold out, which is a pretty regular thing for us here.
My husband and I made homemade artichoke dip and chips for all of the guests, for the holiday, as we did homemade breads at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We delivered these personally to all of the rooms as a surprise treat. Again, not not invade privacy. Deliveries were not made to rooms with Do Not Disturb signs on the doors, they were held in the office.
We are absolutely thrilled to be a part of this property and work for this company. We have found the staff to be welcoming and pleasant, not "odd". We are overwhelmed with the positive feedback from guests and how they have made us feel welcome since we arrived. Disrespect of privacy and odd people, is not something anyone has ever brought to our attention. We are very involved with the guests, and pretty much all of them seem to be appreciative of that.
Folks reading this review please know this: We are clean, hospitable and accommodating. We have the most beautiful accessible beach in the area and the views are spectacular. We are family and pet friendly and are constantly coming up with events and special things we can do for our guests. If you are one that wants to be visit the beach, this is the place. If you prefer to be alone in your room and have no interaction with our staff, just hang up the sign:)
Medford
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Although my caregiver went crazy and abandoned me with two great dane dogs, I can not say enough about the assistance I received from staff and management of the Silver Surf!
In younger days I was at the coast all the time, my walking ability has become so limited a caregiver is the only way I could manage with my dogs. I had been longing to go to the coast for several years and the Silver Surf was more than I could hope for.
The staff assisted me with walking my dogs, helping me so much more than ever expected. The ocean could be seen from my balcony, my dogs loved the beach, although I would have liked to go to it more, it was a beautiful easy walk flat sandy beach. The beach access was closer than any place I had been before with a great price. The rooms were comfortable like being at home, having a kitchen in all of them is a plus, especially if your vacation turns to a nightmare, my saving grace was being at the Silver Surf Motel. These days it is hard to find people to help and get involved, those at Silver Surf Motel are compassionate caring people. My vacation turned out to be the best time ever with the help of staff!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Cathleen A
oregon
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to this hotel and it has so many pluses. There are a few things lacking but most of it will probably be solved by next spring or summer. Great view of the ocean from our room, very dog friendly, without that dog smell. Super clean. The rooms are a little tired but not everything in the rooms are old. You can tell efforts are being made. They have new tv's but sometimes the signal is sketchy. Wifi was iffy except in certain areas but the Resident Manager (she is really nice) assured me that new routers are on order and will fix the problem. They have a very nice indoor pool and jacuzzi that the kids enjoyed. We used the kitchenette to prepare a couple of meals and it's well equiped. I wanted to give this hotel 5 stars but I just couldn't quite justify it. I bet if we come back next year I will give it more stars.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank spelkey56
Wilsonville, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay! Staff was very friendly and helpful. The bottom floors are available to you if you have a pet. We stayed in Room #23 which was very clean with a kitchen. Balcony for sitting and enjoying the great view of the ocean. We left our sliding door open all night to the sound of crashing waves. Only $10 extra for having our dog stay. They even have clean little towels rolled up in the bathroom with a sign "For our very special pet quests - to clean their feet". Just a short walk behind the units you have access to the beautiful beach! Would definitely recommend a stay there especially if you have a pet!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gail M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Adobe Resort
#3 of 11 in Yachats
The Dublin House Motel
The Dublin House Motel
#9 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!