“Wayside Lodge”
Review of Wayside Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yachats
Wayside Lodge
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Hi all! I stayed at the Wayside Lodge this past weekend (11/10/12) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was in Yachats to help out in a booth for the Yachats Celtic Music Festival. The booth owner and I shared the #4 cabin, which has an upstairs dormer style room with two beds, and a separate bedroom downstairs. Amenities include a small range, refrigerator, full bath, a small tv, a comfortable couch, a small dining table, and a view out the sliding glass door to the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

I stayed upstairs in the dormer area. The bed was very comfortable, with a Ralph Lauren down comforter and 4 nice pillows. I slept like a rock with the sound of the wind, rain, and ocean lulling me to sleep.

Checking in was an easy experience. The manager asked me to come check in between 3pm-6pm. As the festival was only about a 5 minute drive away, this was fine.

The cabin itself is not beautiful. The decor is quaint and a bit dated, and the building itself is obviously not new. But, there was evidence of ongoing renovations everywhere. However, the cottage was extremely clean, no mustiness that seems common on the coast, and warm when we arrived. There are plenty of pots, pans, and dishes available as well.

Checking out was easy as well. There is simply a place to put your keys. Free wi-fi was a definite bonus, and seemed fairly reliable.

In short, I would definitely recommend the Wayside Lodge if you are looking for cozy, comfortable, and affordable. Cabin #4 was a bargain and will strongly consider returning on future trips to the Yachats area.

Room Tip: Cabin #4 has two separate bedrooms, one with two full sized beds upstairs, and one bedroom downstair...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sherrie1980

Reviewed 18 September 2012

The remodeled units are very classy with attention to detail ! The doors ,windows , vaulted ceilings, wood floors, area rugs, paint colors are contemporary , elegant and reflect the excellent taste of the owners.
The lighting in each room can be subdued and intimate or pleasantly bright for an overcast day which is very important to me. The kitchen is fully equipped for all kinds of food preparation. The deck is wonderful too. The front lawn, old fashioned rope swing and easy access to the beach are also assets to this property. The view from each cabin is spectacular. My experience with the owner and manager left nothing to be desired. Friendly, accommodating, always available for any kind of question or assistance. Even help with my kite flying skills.
I found the bed and bath linens to be superior to anything I've found in a luxury hotel and am trying to find something equivalent to buy for my own home. I don't know where they get their beds but they are to die for. Soft but firm and supportive. I stayed a week, and slept much better than usual. I will return and am telling everyone I know that it is the best bargain on the best stretch of the Oregon coast. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed in the property or the people who work there.
I have to say that I have stayed at the Adobe in the past because I LOVE the rocky shore, surf and paths on Smelt Sand Day use Park . The beach at Wayside is flat so less thrilling surf. But here is the trade off. There is much more privacy on the Wayside's beach and I walked for miles North or South to enjoy the sunrises and sunsets. It only took 30 minutes if I wanted to walk to the Smelt Sand Park to enjoy more wave action. But more people too.

Room Tip: I spent one night in cabin 6 because my first choice was not available for all 6 nights of my stay...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Captain's Quarters unit and absolutely loved it! It was just as described on the website. The view was fantastic and it was only steps to a wonderful beach. The kitchen was an absolute delight - if anything there were too many pots, utensils, dishes and glassware. Loved having the kitchen window to look out at the ocean while cooking up some great seafood. Also really loved having a dishwasher. The living room area was really comfortable with two large sofas. The dining room table was big enough to have a dinner party if we had wished. Also, the bed was really, really comfortable. Nice bathroom too.
The manager was nice but not intrusive and provided some good tips on places to eat in the area. After leaving the Wayside Lodge we moved a short ways up the coast to another place that was a big disappointment - much more expensive and the kitchen left a lot to be desired. We will definitely return to the Wayside on our next trip to the Oregon coast.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We feel so blessed to have found the Wayside Lodge in Yachats and would love to come and stay again! We stayed with our two young sons in August, 2012 for two nights and were so sad to leave. We stayed in cottage #5 which has not yet undergone the extensive renovations cottages #1-3 have...but we LOVED the old-fashioned ambiance and kind of hope they don't fix it up! The place was cozy with lots of character...panelled doors, little cupboards built into nooks, ancient panelling, etc. In our opinion the best cottage as it is on the end and has a CARPORT that wasn't even advertised - plenty of light with the side windows!! The kitchen was well-stocked as long as you aren't looking to cook gourmet, and the entire cottage was very clean. We loved being able to stay in a separate room from our boys...the upstairs bedroom is kind of like a little tree house all to yourself, and the bedding / mattress / duvets are of top quality - we slept fantastic. The pullout bed in the living room was a little worn but we wore our kids out on the beach so they slept like logs anyways. The dining room was a fun little place to enjoy breakfast together. Don the manager has a great sense of humor, is SO HELPFUL and gave us great recommendations for dining...The Drift Inn for an above-average breakfast menu and the Adobe Resort for seafood for our anniversary - not so fancy the kids weren't welcomed! Many hours were spent sitting on the benches and tables tucked along the top of the bluff, sipping wine with our Tillamook cheese and crackers, and the kids enjoyed the rustic swings in the center of the common area. We played football and frisbee on the almost-deserted beach for hours, took long walks to check out the sunset, driftwood, etc. We even saw the same whale for two straight days. A great place to stay while exploring Cape Perpetua, Heceta Head lighthouse (under construction at the moment tho), and all the sites along the coast down to the dunes in Florence. Wayside Lodge is cozy, rustic, quiet, and we will never forget it or the constant sound of the surf we enjoyed there! If you are looking to connect with God's creation and find some peace away from the crowds, come to Wayside Lodge!

Room Tip: Our cottage, #5, was awesome as it was on an end, had a private carport, extra windows, and a separa...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank FourBarons
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at the Wayside for our 3rd year in a row. The cabins have been renovated beautifully. We have always loved our cozy stays at the Wayside and this time was no different. The renovations are great and I can sleep here better than anywhere else. We will continue to come back for a long time to come.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2012

As we write this review, there are 21 preceding comments and only one of them is characterized as “terrible”. Please take note of that fact. We absolutely love the Wayside Lodge and the manager and owners are caring and warm people. You’d have to be in an impenetrably negative state of mind before arriving to this wonderful place to react in a negative way to the accommodations and the people who make every effort to make your stay enjoyable. We have been staying at the Wayside for many years and it is now clearly better than ever. Just know that these are not cookie cutter rooms. They are all unique. If you have specific needs, be sure to ask the right questions when placing your reservation so that you can be matched with the proper room. We recently spent 3 nights in one of the renovated rooms and were impressed by the design, attention to detail, quality of materials (like the beautiful Brazilian wood floor, cherry cabinets and super comfy bed) and great craftsmanship. We understand that the owners and manager completed the design and construction themselves and that they worked night and day and with heart and soul to make the Wayside an increasingly better and better place. It has been a retreat for us and a place to recuperate from the stresses of our workaday lives. The beautiful and peaceful location can’t be beat and the love that has gone into making the Lodge more comfortable and welcoming clearly shows. We are grateful for the Wayside and for the warmth and caring nature of the owners and manager.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Viajandofelices
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have been coming to the Wayside Lodge for an extended stay, while on a working vacation for 5 summers now. Up until this year, I have never had to deal much with the management. This year while making my reservations, I was told that renovations would be taking place. I was assured that I would have all the amenities as pictured on the web site as the full sized refrigerator and stove is important to me. After driving 1,000 miles I discovered the cottage was still undergoing renovation and had a tiny refrigerator. With no alternative, I made the best of the situation. The resident manager apologized for the condition and asked me to make a list of what was incomplete and missing.

At the end of my stay, I conscientiously made this list and sent it to the hotel owner, asking for compensation. His reply was to ignore my documented health and safety issues and misrepresentation of amenities (as discussed and as pictured on their web site) and to tell me that he hoped I enjoyed where ever I stayed in the future. Talk about lack of customer service!!

There is nothing warm or cozy about management. BEWARE!!!

There were exposed, live wires coming out of the exterior walls outside of the cottage, with no porch light and a 3 foot drop from the deck to the yard - as the stairs had been removed! The vent hood on the malfunctioning stove wasn't fully installed and the exposed fan vented nowhere. The kitchen lacked many of the items I have taken for granted like a pan covers, frying pans, spatulas, small plates etc. But most shocking was the tiny refrigerator with its miniscule freezer so we lost all our frozen food.

There were no curtains on the front door or kitchen window, along with no coffee table or living room lamp. Forget about any wall decor or ambience as the new recessed ceiling lights had been installed with glaringly hot outdoor floodlight bulbs. Numerous unconnected switches that nothing. With no light for the front door lock, it was especially tricky to get in at night as the lock was installed backwards! Painting and shelving for the bathroom was incomplete with no place to hang wet towels. A person could get seriously burned if they sat on the toilet while the heater was on!! There was no bureau, closet, suitcase rack, or wall hooks in our cottage, leaving no place to hang your professional clothes or jackets. There is little comfort in spending a week rummaging through a cooler and trying to look professional while rummaging through your suitcase on the floor.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business