“Humiliating Experience”

Overleaf Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 things to do in Yachats
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Surrender to the healing power of the sea at Overleaf Spa, the ultimate experience in Oregon coast day spas. This deluxe Oregon coast spa offers a serene ocean setting and restorative treatments that will transform your body, soul and spirit and help you transcend the stress of daily life.For one of the premier spa vacations in the Pacific Northwest, stay at the Overleaf Lodge and enjoy extreme pampering at the Overleaf Spa. Guests of Overleaf Lodge receive free use of the day spa’s facilities, including the soaking pool, hot tub, steam rooms and saunas. Treatments such as massages and facials cost extra, above and beyond the resort’s room rate.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Bend, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Humiliating Experience”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife arranged a special surprise spa experience for me on my birthday and after lunch and some beer tasting at Rogue brewery we made our way there (two hours later and after a hike on the way). After filling out paper work and putting on robes etc the massage therapist assigned to me told me I was too intoxicated to receive a message, Being completely sober, I was shocked and most of all humilitated as I was forced to interrupt my wifes session and tell her that apparently I was too drunk to receive a message. The worst part of it all was that my wife had gone to great trouble planning the day to make it special for my birthday. We had worked our entire day around it only to be embarrassed and to wonder what I had done wrong. I went into the experience feeling wonderful and left feeling like a criminal. Beware if you plan to go here while on vacation or having a special day....don't have a glass of wine or beer first or you may be interrogated, embarrassed and then asked to leave. BTW I can not speak for the hotel service itself as we were not guests of the hotel (luckily) Also, a call back the following day yielded no sympathy from the manager (Robin).

Visited March 2014
4 Thank OregonHawk
Yachats-Drew, Owner at Overleaf Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
While we always do our best to meet or exceed our guest’s expectations, our first and foremost duty is to the safety of our guests. Under Oregon Administrative Rules it is the massage therapist’s duty to ‘ safeguard the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Oregon... the following Standards of Professional Conduct must be binding on every person holding a license… Consider factors related to safety, effectiveness, and cost in planning and providing care and services.’ A massage therapist’s first duty is to assess the physical condition of our guest and then make a decision that is in the best interest of the guest. A therapist’s license is at risk if they perform a massage on a person who in the therapist’s expert opinion, may suffer or be injured by the treatment. If the therapist can smell alcohol and/or the guest’s actions suggest that they are under the influence, then the therapist will make the call as directed by their professional training. This can be a subjective decision, but is always done in the best interest of the guest’s safety as was done in this case. Unfortunately, OregonHawk disagreed with our assessment. We are very sensitive to that and wish that we could have met his expectations and delivered a stellar massage. However, we will always do what is in our professional opinion is in the best interest of a guest regardless of how it may affect our business volume or the potential for a negative Trip Advisor review.

Sincerely, Drew Roslund, Owner’s representative
541-330-1286

Vancouver, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Greedy”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I had a massage in the spa and as I was paying I was asked if I wanted to leave a tip. It is as low class as can be to go around with a figurative begging bowl asking for more, especially since their massages are by far the most expensive in the area. It made me very uncomfortable and I didn't schedule the second spa treatment I had wanted.

6 Thank TNaeye
portland, Or
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“love this spa!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is my second review of the spa and 6th treatment. I believe my first review may have been in the hotel review.

I absolutely love this day spa! If there is a better view on the oregon coast for a day spa let me know because as far as I know this spa has the best spa view on the oregon coast! I'm talking about the nicely done soaking pool with floor to cieling windows that is absolute ocean front so you can enjoy the ocean whether on a clear day or if storm watching from a wonderfully warm and relaxing spot. Love it!

This is a small but very tastefully done boutique type day spa in the lovely overleaf hotel. This is my favorite spot on the oregon coast, favorite spa on the coast, and prefered hotel on the coast. Not luxury but very nice and cozy with a warm and friendly staff. This little day spa packs a powerful punch against competing spa's in my opinion.

I loved the nicely appointed decor, the small but beautiful pebble stone steam sauna with the soothing aroma of eucalyptus, the small but lovely cedar dry sauna with a beautiful cedar door and glass etching of the coast. Love, love, love, the rain showers with comfy pebble floors and also on the surrounding walls and a lovely blue pebble design. Love the rosemary mint aveda products in the showers and again for styling your hair after your shower. They have pretty much everything you need to make yourself pretty after your treatments. Comfy chairs although not lounge chairs but who needs loung chairs when you could be soaking with a beach front view!

Staff remembered me from previous visits and I had earned enough points in the rewards program to receive me treatment for half off. Both are very nice touches. This is the only day spa I am aware of to have such a program. Very nice. I also love that they remind guests there is tea in the lobby they can bring to the spa. I loved the ginseng ginger green tea. But I believe they also do offer a tea service with a premium brand of tea for a charge, not a hundred percent on this. it was nice to enjoy a walk on there beachfront location (not sand but beautiful black rocks with tide pools and crashing waves) then head up for the warmth of the soaking pool or beach front jacuzzi. Even better is to be a hotel guest and be able to enjo spa priveledges your entire stay. Just put on your robe, walk out your hotel room door and the spa is not far away! love it!

Anyway, the treatments I have had in the past were the honey body scrub, repechage four layer facial, and massages. Gail provided my honey scrub and facial and let me tell you this provider is amazing! The best spa treatment I have ever recieved was the honey body scrub by gail. Amazing!!!!! If I had the budget I would have scheduled one every day! I was lucky to have the one. Special touches by Gail; she really took advantage of the wonderful honey aroma by placing to scent close to my nose so I could really drink it in. So soothing! She also made sure the honey scrub was warm with each application and gave my body a good exfoliating scrub and while rinsing off with the amazing vicchy shower (wow!) A massage. It felt like I recieved a high quality scrub, with the most amazing aromatherapy, a full body massage, facial and scalp massage all in one treatment! The best spa treatment I have ever had! Gail also gave me the best facial I have ever had with the repechage four layer facial. It was fun to have her peel off the seaweed mask as well as the clay mask fully intact and playfully packaged it so I could show my husband what we did that day for the facial. Best spa provider I have ever had and I have had some great experiences. Unfortunately for me Gail was on maternity leave for this highly anticipated honey body scrub appointment. The poor therapist had a lot to live up to!

So this time around with the scrub was not amazing. It was ok. She had the lightest touch I have ever experienced so it did not feel like an exfoliating scrub. With such a light touch it also did not feel at all like a massage but I wonder if Gails style spoiled me for that. Also the honey scrub was only warm for the first few applications and was not kept warm for each application throughout the treatment as it was with Gail which had felt soooo therapuetic and this time I was cold. Also, the facial oil used this time was not at all consistent with the wonderful and soothing honey aroma. I think it was eucalyptus which is not complimentary to the sweet aroma of honey and is was overpowering and all I could smell. For those who have had the honey body scrub I think may agree that the aroma of that wonderful scrub is an essential part of the whole experience. Anyway, the vicchy shower partwas amazing. I love that vicchy shower! And the provider was nice. Just a different style and a lot to live up to.

Overall, I really love this boutique style beach front day spa and the wonderful friendly staff. Feels like home to me, that's how comfortable I feel there. Highly recommend for the whole experience. And if you can stay at the hotel even better! Some rooms have jacuzzi tubs overlooking the ocean. My favorite day spa and spa hotel on the oregon coast. Every massage I have had here has been excellent. And if you can get Gail when she is back do so!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank newlywed0816
Surrey, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A Couple's Massage to Remember!”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have been visiting our favorite hotel, the Overleaf Lodge, for over six years. My wife has enjoyed the spa many times. For the very first time, I decided to give it a try and booked a couple's massage well in advance. I was not disappointed. We were led to a private room and my therapist, Mary-Beth, did a terrific job on my uptight neck and shoulder muscles. With her expert touch, you could just feel them releasing. It was so relaxing that I almost fell alseep on the table. My wife and I also enjoy the spa pool at all hours and the beautiful view of the ocean especially at sunset time. We have gotten so spoiled that we now like to book the room directly beside the spa. We will be returning in February 2014 and I cannot wait to book another massage.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank ROLAND R
Seattle, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Oasis on the Ocean”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is a beautiful spa located on the top floor of a great lodge. Magnificent view from the hot tub. Features a sauna and steam room in the ladies' lounge, complete with cucumber slices to cover your eyes. I had a 90-minute massage from Sean. It was called a Stress Fix or something like that, I barely remember the end of it, I was so relaxed. This is a top notch spa in a enchanting setting. Sean did a remarkable job and was both professional and concerned that it was a beneficial massage.

Visited October 2013