“All food is home made except the ketchup, delicious!!!”

Riverton Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Bangor
Price range: US$6 - US$27
Cuisines: American, Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: The Riverton Hotel and Restaurant is a Family friendly restaurant that includes a full bar, 3 banquet rooms, and a 6 room hotel. We local source our ingredients when available and make almost everything on premises from scratch. We have 3 banquet rooms with seating up to 300 people. The Hotel consists of 6 newly remodeled rooms. The Markopoulos family has owned the business for the last 39 years.
Bangor, Pennsylvania
“All food is home made except the ketchup, delicious!!!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A genuine piece of history. From the big dinners right on down to the salad dressing its all made in house, delicious! Nice bar area too.

• Visited March 2014

New Jersey
“No Thank You - I'll pass on dinner but maybe go for drinks.”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Desperately hungry and tired we happened upon this place as we were crossing the Delaware from NJ to PA. With nothing else around we decided to overlook the empty parking lot (it was Sunday mid-afternoon so understandable) and go in. First thing that you see is the rather large bar with an awkward arrangement of tables around it and slightly elevated and totally empty. We heard someone yelling from the side and were soon attended to by a gentleman who offered us a seat at the bar. Got the menu and started to peruse it and must admit the entrees seemed enticing, from Spanakopita to Prime Rib and a variety of others, most with a Greek flair. The person serving us also claimed great perogies with feta cheese and other secret Greek ingredients. We ordered some drinks (very inexpensive, beer was $2.75 and wine $3.75 wow). After brining back the drinks the person attending us (later we found out he was the owner) he would not leave the bar across from us and made us feel very uncomfortable as we continued to read the menu. He had an annoying habit of saying thanks you fro everything, including after we said thank you. We order the Spanakopita & French Onion soup and the Prime Rib and Athens Chicken ($16.50 and $14.50 respectively). He delivered some Greek salads which were fresh and very tasty as was the accompanying bread. That’s where the pleasure stopped. After giving us the entrees he again stood tow feet from us staring as we ate. Bad form!!! So the prime rib tasted like leftovers and the chicken was just so, so and most of which was left on the plate. We asked for take out for the chicken only not to offend. Basically we couldn't wait to get out of there. It's a shame that a place like this, nicely located by the river and decently priced has gotten a poor rating. Hopefully they will 'clean up' their act and put on a fresh face with customer service!!

• Visited December 2013
Eoanna M, Guest Relations Manager at Riverton Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear TonyK300,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent visit. We carefully review all feedback and I have shared your concerns with our leadership team. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our gracious hospitality during your next trip to Bangor, PA.
Martins Creek, Pennsylvania
“Nice place”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Very nice place. Good atomsphere. Can't wait to bring Better half here to try food. Good people to help you.

Portland, Pennsylvania
“been here twice... never again”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

The first time we stopped we met another couple and their teenage son for breakfast. Despite the dated and very gloomy interior the food was pretty good, a typical PA diner breakfast. The food came out pretty fast and the portions were good. Since we enjoyed the breakfast, my husband and I decided to stop again and try their lunch on another day. I ordered beef pot roast with mashed potatoes and corn. When I placed my ordered, I asked the waiter—who I think is also the owner—what sides I had to choose from. He listed what seemed like 10 different side items, which he rambled so quickly and with an accent that I couldn't understand or remember everything he mentioned. When I asked him to repeat the list because I couldn't understand what he was saying he got a little snippy with me. I should have just got up and walked out at that point, but remembering the breakfast, I wanted to give the place the benefit of the doubt. So, after ordering pot roast I was expecting a nice hunk of meat with gravy... what I got was three 1/8-inch thick slices of some sort of gray shoe leather material I'm hoping was beef. It was terrible; tasted like it had been freezer burned and then cooled and reheated several times. I ate it only because I was really hungry and didn't want to wait and possibly get something even worse after I sent the food back. The sides were pretty good, but we will never go back there for any meal. I don't remember what my husband ordered, but I know he was unhappy with his meal as well. This was a very bad experience.

• Visited September 2012
Bangor, Pennsylvania
“Need a change!”
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Great place to go and have some good cooking and not have the hassle like when ou go to the chain restaurants. Prices are good and the food is cook to the way you like it. I make this my regular stop!