“would return”

Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bartonsville
“would return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2006

I stayed there over Washington's bday weekend. It really looked like the only thing close to Camelback that wasn't terrible and wasn't sold out. It was not cheap--my only complaint was that it was $170! But it was clean, pretty new, the staff were pleasant. Our heater in the room worked fine; I didn't check out the pool so I don't know if it was heated; this seems to be a trend in hotels--keeping the pools too cold. I think if that is so, we should all start complaining!

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank Tomby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toms River, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2006

We visited the Poconos to go snowtubing at Camelback. Chose this hotel based on positive reviews here. Location was very convenient to Rt. 33/Rt. 80 and Camelback. Lobby was beautiful. Check-in was easy. At first glance, the room seemed clean and comfortable. However, when I walked in the bathroom I could smell urine, and I immediately noticed the mold and mildew on the floor and bathtub. The shower curtain was also covered in mold. The ceiling throughout the room had stains and looked filthy. I don't need much from a hotel . . . I just expect my room to be clean. This hotel didn't meet my expectations. Not to mention, the heating unit in the room was much too loud. Also, the indoor pool had a lot of potential, except it was too cold. None of the heat lamps or space heaters were working. And the pool water itself was chilly. On a positive note, the restaurant had good food.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank TomsRiver_NJTac

Travellers are raving about these Bartonsville hotels

Wayne, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2005

Stayed Christmas Eve. Hotel was just what you would expect for a Howard Johnson Inn. Rooms clean and comfortable. Staff was helpful and friendly. On-site restaurant was surprisingly good and reasonably priced. Will go back next time I am looking for a place to stay while skiing at Camelback.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank ablabl
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2005

Truly a wonderful place to stay. Clean, upscale, great service. The restaurant is very romantic, with a well rounded menu at reasonable prices. The indoor pool really makes you feel like you are on a tropical island. Fitness center and game room aren't very spectacular, but still pretty decent. The rooms also lack pay-per-view movies. Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our stay and would love to go again.

12 Thank TravelocityGuru
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2005

Stayed one night while visiting the Poconos with hubby and kids. Room was very clean and had all the amenities that could be expected except for "pay per view" movie channel. Kids were hoping to watch a movie before bed, but none were provided. The lobby is very nice and so is the pool but quite a walk from our second story room. No elevator. And only one way to get to pool from our room. This was the only inconvenience. Also, did not offer continental breakfast. Shower had good water pressure and hot water....plenty of towels and check out was easy with a print-out of my receipt under door in the morning. I'd probably stay here again, but would request a room closer to the pool and lobby.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Merion, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2005

When we arrived at 10:00 at night ready for bed our room was an oven. The room took over 2 hours to cool down once we turned the air conditioner on. In addition, one of the reasons we picked the hotel was their advertising of a fittness room. However the staff said the fittness room did not "open" until 9:00 (which is way too late for those of us who needed to be on our way by 9). Both the evening and morning staff sited something to do with the game room needing to be open (which it was at 6:30am), therefore there was no reason not to have access to the fittness room. We were very disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank Jeanne L
atlantic city area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

I stayed here on a Monday night, July 11th.... saw a billboard on rt 33 advertising $55.00 midweek rooms....the price certainly was right!

as it was getting late already, it seemed like a perfect fit.....and it WAS...

I felt very comfortable there....and being a female traveler on my own , that was important to me....

The room was just right, the mattress was comfortable, and it was very convenient to all Poconos activities (just east of Tannersville)....

It was very busy when I got there 11 pm, and I felt grateful to get one of the last few rooms...........

there were vans from a church group from Queens. NY there.........etc., etc.
the joint was jumping, but yet very quiet....

review by ellen

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank ellen4441
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartonsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Fairfield Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville/Poconos

Been to Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area? Share your experiences!