“Great Little Restaurant”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New Japanese Restaurant in Beaver, PA
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My family and I frequent Yama about once a month and love it. The service is superb, the food is fresh, and the atmosphere is cozy. We like to sit in the front of the restaurant where it's a little less crowded, although if you go on a weeknight (except for Friday) that's not a problem. I especially enjoy the bento bowl special for lunch. I do wish they had a kids menu with Japanese food, though. That would make ordering a little easier. Our son usually gets an appetizer for his meal.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Wow is all I can say! I’ve eaten Sushi in some of the world’s freshest fish hotspots like San Diego, San Francisco and even Kyoto Japan (as well as some of the best sushi establishments in downtown Pittsburgh—from SouthSide to Shadyside). So who would have thought that a quaint understated Japanese restaurant in Beaver, PA could pull it off. But Yama does it with flying colors.

I knew I was in for a treat when I caught a glimpse of my salad. Not only was the presentation very artistic, my taste buds were treated to some of the best ginger dressing I’ve ever eaten. The dressing was infused with garlic and other spices – and was simply heavenly.

As for the sushi (and sashimi) itself, they were extremely fresh and well prepared, with melt-in-your mouth consistency. It was also obvious that the ginger and wasabi that came with my meal were grated fresh off the root.

The service was exemplary too, with a very respectful and subtle approach that was very much in line with traditional Japanese dining standards. I would strongly argue that Yama is the best Sushi restaurant in Western, PA – and certainly worth the trip to Beaver.

Yama may not deliver the glitz of Nakama or the prestige of Umi – but it does deliver in the only area that really matters – which is serving exceptional tasting and artistically-prepared sushi. Well done Yama!

1  Thank Spiritualized67
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Here we kept thinking we had to go to Pittsburgh for great sushi and it's been right in our backyard. We went here for the first time last week and we were so impressed! It was just the perfect, quaintest little place. The service was great. The woman helping us was so friendly.. Just made us want to say thank you over and over. Our table got a lot of different things, almost treating it like Japanese tapas, and with the prices being reasonable we were able to do that. and we loved almost everything. The highlights were the tuna tartar, spicy tuna roll, and the pork dumplings. We were so happy to find this restaurant and look forward to going there many more times,

Reviewed 12 February 2012

who would guess we have one of the best sushi restaurants in downtown Beaver. Great staff, and the food is second to none

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Had the love boat and it was great. The presentation was fantastic. If you like sushi this is a must try.