“Hotel is a Dump”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Chicago, Illinois
“Hotel is a Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2007

We just returned from our stay at Best Western Bedford Inn. Please do not book at this hotel. We saw cockroaches in the room. The front desk was un-friendly and it took quite some time for us to get checked in. This was the holiday season and hopefully those who worked there would be somewhat jolly.

This is a very old and antiquated hotel. When we took showers the water would change different temperatures, from warm to scalding hot...it was a nightmare. The cleanliness was not there also...there was dirt around the perimeter of the room and the bedspread had stains on it.

We did complain to the manager the next day..Cindy Smith she was trying to make excuses for her staff and did not want to listen to our complaints.
Please do not stay in this hotel. One of the worst I have been in, and I as a business travel three days a week to different hotels this rates the worst.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing the front desk and managers were beyond rude.
  • Disliked — That we actually stayed at this hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LuvChicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Fruita, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2006

I was given a room that had evidently had the carpet shampooed that day since the room smelled like cleaner & the carpet was still quite wet. I went back to the front desk & was graciously given a room in the back. This motel sits on a road used by lots of semi trucks so that was a good change. Since the room faced onto a large grassy hill with trees there was no close parking, but it was a very nice & quiet location. Very basic, somewhat worn room. They had a very good free breakfast buffet with lots of hot food choices, not just muffins. It was a good location because Old Bedford Village, a living museum I wanted to visit was very close by.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Somewhat worn
  • Tips/Secrets — Get room in back of hotel
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank SusieLou
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2006

This hotel is older, but the rooms have been nicely updated. The pool area, however, was pretty run down. There were large cracks in the pool walls (my daughter cut herself on one of the raw edges of a crack), and the patio area was pretty dirty when we visited.

I had booked a room at this hotel in part because it offered high-speed Internet service. Unfortunately, I could access the wireless service only in the lobby and not in my room! When I called the front desk about the problem, the staff person seemed clueless about the service and gave me a "help line" number to call. The technician I reached seemed equally puzzled, but promised to call me when the problem had been resolved. Two hours later (at 10 p.m.) I received a call from the front desk staff, who recommended that I use the Internet service in the lobby. I was traveling with my four-year-old daughter, so a late night lobby visit was out of the question.

On the positive side, the hotel offers a complimentary breakfast buffet at its restaurant, and it is quite good. The wait staff were attentive and pleasant, and the food was good... much better than the standard continental fare served at most hotels.

• Liked — Breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Lack of wireless service
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pshaffer
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2006

Stayed here as a result of other's postings and ratings. Would also recommend this excellent place. A clean modern room with king size bed. Very park like setting in the rear. Staff friendly. Breakfast buffet (value $6) included in the price of the room, was very good with a nice selection of ALL the usual breakfast items found at buffets costing more $$. The house restaurant is closed after lunch on Sunday, so we ate (walked 100 feet) across the street to Ed's Streakhouse for dinner. Had a great steak (16 oz ribeye), salad, potato, bread, 22 oz draft beer, for under $20. Hoss's Steakhouse (1/2 mile) and Old Bedford Village (3/4 mile) just down the same road. Several other motels (Hampton Inn, Quality, Super 8, etc) in a cluster within 1/2 mile radius.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank 487
Methuen, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2006

“It looks like a motel room,” said my wife as we walked into our room at the Best Western Bedford Inn, and she was right. The room looked like the standard hotel room in the standard highway hotel with two double beds (not queens), a dresser table two chairs and a TV. Other than the contemporary bedspreads, I felt as though we had stepped back into the 70’s. My first impression was, “this is nothing special.” We had a clean, comfortable room for an overnight on the highway complete with trucks transmission braking as they negotiated the interstate onramp.

The room was very clean. I checked corners and looked for things undone. I found none. As I did so I found little things that distinguished this room from some others. There was, for example, an ironing board and iron, and the TV had a connection for a game system or portable DVD. My wife connected to the free wireless network with little effort and the signal was strong. Looking at the promotional material in the room it was obvious that the hotel was working for long-term stay people going to nearby ski resorts.

It was the next day that we discovered that this roadside hotel was more than what was seen. The back of the hotel, and its rooms face a park-like setting around the pool (empty on our visit) and hot-tub. Had I known, I would have requested a room change to this part of the hotel.

Finally, the full, hot breakfast buffet is worth the effort. Eggs, bacon, sausage (a local and flavorful variety), as well as French toast, and potatoes highlight the buffet with a mix of seasonal fruits also available. The restaurant looks over the pool and the décor of the restaurant is a stained glass theme.

Would I stay again? Compared to the bustling Breezewood strip and the run-down New Stanton offering this is a gem. The price was good, the room was comfortable and the little amenities reflect a true desire to be hospitable. This hotel is worth the extra twenty minute drive.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank RiverRev
Erieville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2006

We'd been on the road for 10 days before arriving at the B.W. in Bedford; we'd chosen it only because of their pet friendly policy and their location. We were very pleasantly surprised by how clean and spacious the room was, how excellent the restaurant was, and then there's the humungous free breakfast buffet.
The staff was warm and helpful and there's free high speed internet service in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank kaks
London Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2005

We used this hotel as a stop on our way to Virginia. We are a family of 5 and didn't expect much. We were pleasantly surprised.

The staff was exceptional and the rooms were just right. We requested a roll away and it was in the room when we arrived. It's nice to not have to make an issue of something after a long drive.

We spent a few hours lounging by the pool, which was a really nice atmosphere, backing onto a large grass field.

To top it off, breakfast in the morning was included. Not just a continental breafast either, it was full bore, all hands on deack eggs, panckaes, waffles, cereals...well you get the idea. It cost 89 bucks and was worth every penny.

Stayed July 2004
6 Thank wickman11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Quality Inn Bedford
#2 of 8 in Breezewood
Motel Town House
Motel Town House
#8 of 10 in Bedford

Been to Travelodge Bedford? Share your experiences!