“Absolutely stunning!”

Jean Bonnet Tavern
Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Bedford
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Historic landmark located in a 250+ year-old stone building. Slow roasted Prime Rib, house-made Crab Cakes, fresh baked breads, desserts made from scratch and fresh local ingredients make us a popular dining destination. 18 beers on tap, featuring Pennsylvania craft brewed beers.
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The waitstaff was extremely friendly and the food was delicious. The atmosphere was an eclectic blend of old and new! Good location for special meals, since it is pricey.

There are newer reviews for Jean Bonnet Tavern

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Watermelon martini is amazing! I highly recommend the house dressing. My companions said the crab corn chowder was the best that they ever had!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary here, and could not have been more pleased. Not pretentious at all - very down-to-earth. And the atmosphere is authentic. Built in 1767, the stonework, chestnut beams in the ceiling, and enormous fireplaces made it seem as if we should have ridden in on a horse, not in a car.
The food was delicious: I had a crab and corn chowder that left me wanting more, and my wife's gazpacho was fresh and full of flavor. She had a pork loin with a unique blueberry/blackberry sauce, and my fillet was cooked perfectly and melted in my mouth. The roasted cauliflower was a nice touch too. And because it was our anniversary, we got free dessert! The total check, with a bottle of wine, was under $100 - very reasonable.
Surprisingly, there were seats available on a Saturday night (Bedford's a small town), and their website says that reservations are accepted, but not necessary. If you are travelling in the area, take the time to stop here.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I'm probably the last person on this site who should be reviewing a tavern, but I added an extra hour and a half to our road trip so we could return to Jean Bonnet. My portobello sandwich was tasty, but I don't eat meat, so I can't speak for most of the dishes. Oh yeah, and I don't drink, so I'm not earning any 'helpful' votes there.

However, this is a rare gem in that the dining room is one of the best preserved according to its famed public house history. Dine by candlelight, on pewter, surrounded by massive local stone, under large beams that will likely see 300 years old. This isn't one of those places that flaunts the term 'historical tavern', and then surrounds you with ESPN viewing.

Note: Leave plenty of time because service was slow (1/2 hour to get our appetizer on a Tuesday night), but moreso because you won't want to leave the space.

1  Thank Pendarella
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I'll admit, I was very pleasantly surprised at how good Jean Bonnet was. We visited for dinner and I expected an average pub experience, but the tavern far exceeded by expectations. For starters, I was very pleased at all the selections on the draft beer menu. It took a while to come to a decision. I was also very impressed that our server was able to provide additional details about the different beers on the menu and help make suggestions in that regard.

The menu items also presented a difficult decision - each one sounded so good. I chose the crab meat stuffed flounder and was very pleased. There was plenty of lump crab meat instead of the crab flavored bread crumbs that one finds at many other restaurants. There was a good kids menu and all three of our young children enjoyed their meals immensely. This, of course, certainly helped the grownups enjoy their meals all the much more.