“Seafood, Seafood, Seafood.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wilmington, Delaware
“Seafood, Seafood, Seafood.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is definitely the place for seafood in Bedford. I dined in the dining room (vs. the tavern downstairs) with two friends who are locals. We ordered seafood and a chicken/crab combination. The food was delivered hot, not lukewarm, and it was FRESH seafood (crab and two different shrimp entrees) as were the salads that came with our dinners.

Other reviewers have mentioned the decor, which is incongruous with the historic character of the building but, judging by the menu, the owners don't intend, or pretend, to offer a historic- themed dining experience. There is a framed collage hanging in the entrance wall, consisting of 12 layers of wallpaper that were removed during the renovation. In the owners' defence, it would have been infinitely easier to nail drywall to those lovely old walls - but they chose to go the purist route. The menu has a diner-ish feel, the food is great, the service is very good, and the dining area is squeaky clean from top to bottom. These are good folks, even if you don't like their taste in paint colors!

I prefer to dine without entertainment, especially when spending time with friends I don't see as often as I would like to, so the entertainment detracted from my experience. Nonetheless, I do love a good guitar performance and, although it was quite good, it might be better suited to the tavern downstairs.

There's a lot going on at the Bedford Tavern - the food, the atmosphere, the service, the entertainment - it can be a bit distracting - but if you can focus on eating really good seafood, this Bedford mainstay is the place for you!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank ukpa0hde

Columbus, Ohio
“Good food, disappointing entertainment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Great food and comfortable atmosphere. We felt that they should provide higher quality entertainment for guests during the weekend evenings.

Visited September 2013
Tioga, Pennsylvania
“Definitely best place to get seafood in Bedford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband, myself and many others were in town for the annual N-Scale Model Train Show. We elected to stay over on Sunday night to be rested for the drive home. I saw this restaurant as I was driving to the Sportplex for the show and it looked interesting. I looked up the reviews on Tripadvisor and was not scared away. So us and another couple went. I will say that since I have 2 artificial knees I was a little leary of the steep stairs, but made it fine. There did not appear to be many people there and there was only 1 person working the downstairs. She was the bartender and waitress handling everything(except cooking) all by herself. And she was fantastic! I ordered the All You Can Eat (AYCE) Seafood. The first 3 items I selected were crab legs, fried oysters and fried frog legs. While a little pricy at $33.99 it was worth every penny! Unlike the AYCE dinner I had on Friday night, this food was fresh, cooked to perfection and just great. The crabs legs were not soggy, and the meat came out all in one piece. I could not believe how juicy the fried oysters were. While they were good, I have had better frog legs, My husband ordered the fried oyster platter. There was enough oysters that we could have shared a plate. Our friends each orders 1/2 lb. of bay scallops. The menu shows the 1 lb. option, but the waitress was nice enough to let them know that they could get a half order that was not on the menu. We ended the evening by sharing their double chocolate cake. It was melt in your mouth good! Next year we'll bypass the AYCE buffet at the hotel and go to the Bedford Tavern.

• Visited August 2013
Bedford, Pennsylvania
“Strange place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

I had senior shrimp dinner, quite good. Waitress was exceedingly friendly & had been there long before present owner. The stairs to cellar restaurant are VERY steep & thus not at all to my liking. Upstairs still hard to negotiate [what about ADA?]. Place is obviously set up well for gluttons; perhaps should have a "how many crab legs can you possibly eat in an hour?" contest. Look at menu & you can see many many items $30+ b/c of the "all you can stuff in your stomach" menu. Obviously I have no use for such gluttony, but i assume they retain it b/c of sales. Portions are delicious but very small [obviously excepting "all you can eat"]. Yes, I'd go there again. One other oddity: they offer quite a few meat sandwiches [roast beef, hamburger, etc] but only seafood for dinner.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank scooterpup
Bedford, Pennsylvania
“good food, friendly srvice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The waitress has been there through several chanhes in ownership & knows the place + its food well. Helpful & friendly. The outside stairs are impossible especially for anyone w/ slightest handicap. Food was about 20% overpriced + portions small. Tasty, well prepared. Went away still somewhat hungry.

• Visited April 2013