“Hidden Treasure of Cultural History”

National Museum of the American Coverlet
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Bedford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: NMAC is the only full-time, year-round, independent institution devoted to the display, preservation and study of (antique) American woven coverlets. The Museum is open seven days a week. Each visitor is given a personal tour.Currently, the (400-plus) collection includes coverlets made between 1771 and 1889. Exhibitions change periodically. Generally there are about 50 coverlets on display along with "period" beds and bedding, and spinning and weaving equipment including looms and a (rare) Jacquard head. We are located in a former Common School building (dating to 1859) in the historic district of downtown Bedford, PA.
seattle wa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure of Cultural History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

My travel partners and I learned of this gem through our B & B hostess in town. We ambled down through the main streets of Bedford PA until we reached the National Museum of Coverlets. Amazing! I am sure many of you as have I seen coverlets but really never knew of their history and the value of these treasures that are in so many of our homes. Our guide, a kindly gentlemen, Lazlo, shared many interesting points of how the coverlet came to be over time and the introduction of the punch card system by Jacquard, which in turn became the basis of many of our beginning computer programs. It is a small museum hosted by a charming couple who have the desire to spread the word on coverlets. Their gift shop has many items to take home as gifts or memory keepsakes. It is well worth the time to visit.

Visited September 2013

United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Unexpectedly Fascinating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I first visited the National Museum of the American Coverlet in 2012 because we had some time to kill before our nearby hotel room was ready. From the time we stepped inside, the fascination started. Our tour guide shared so many interesting stories with us. My husband and I stayed in the museum for over an hour ... and returned in 2013 with more people!
The museum isn't just about coverlets, it tells the story of survival, business, invention, family roles, and more. The bonus: once you leave, you will not only know what a coverlet IS, you will be able to spot one from a mile away!

Visited May 2013
Bedford, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Surprisingly interesting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

The people who run the museum are extremely knowledgeable. Make sure you have about an hour, and then tour the place with them.

Visited August 2013
Bedford, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“This is a unique museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have visited this museum twice - and have learned a lot both times. I don't know of another museum devoted to the history of woven American coverlets. There are a lot of quilt museums, but woven coverlets have a story of their own to tell. For anyone interested in the daily living history of Americans from the 18th and 19th centuries, this museum will be fascinating.

Visited October 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“what a pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

While visiting Bedford, Pa my husband and I stopped in to The American Museum of the Coverlet. It was absolutely fascinating. Who would ever guess that weaving inspired the modern computer? Our tour guide was extremely knowledgable, and he made you feel so glad that you took the time to stop. You could tell he loved his subject. I will be telling friends and family to make sure they stop to see this museum whenever they come to Bedford County.

Visited June 2013