“Good food & Bakery”

Bird's Nest Cafe
Ranked #11 of 48 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Good food & Bakery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Although we live in the area, we treated ourselves to a weekend at Bedford Springs. We stopped in the Bird's Nest for breakfast as well as lunch the next day. I found this a homey, inviting spot. We were happy with our omlets for breakfast. Having a sweet tooth their bakery next door was a big bonus! I especially loved the sugar shuttles - a sugar cookie shaped kinda like a cigar and the buckeyes - a chocolate base sweet with peanut butter center. Plus I got extra treats to take back to my room! We will be back to try the dinner menu.

• Visited March 2014

Mount Airy, Maryland
“Ill-equipped to please”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was staying at the Omni with my sisters and we decided to have dinner out. We walked by and it looked nice so we thought we would make reservations to come back in the evening. The initial experience was good. Waitress was friendly. Restaurant was clean. It just didn't seem like they had been in business very long. I am surprised now to see the ratings on trip advisor so high but maybe we just had a fluke bad experience. We waited forever for our food. A good half hour after the food was ordered half of us were told our meal was no longer available. Steak ordered medium rare was brought out well done. They said they would refund $5. Then we discovered a piece of chicken was raw in the middle. RAW. They said they would refund $5. This should have been completely refunded. Servings were small for the price and quality. The food that was cooked properly was so-so. The bread basket and honey butter was amazing, I will say. I would not return though. We did not get the enjoyable dinner experience we were looking for and we were there for 2 hours. We ended up going back to the Omni and getting a real dinner at 9pm. I just don't see Bird's Nest Cafe staying in business if experiences continue like this.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank 1FussyTraveler
Lansing, New York
“Perfect Morning Start”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Great attention to detail in the cafe, great breakfast and value.
Pancakes, real fruit, great eggs great environment. PERFECT.

Visited January 2014
Berwyn, PA
“Worth the Stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Stopped with family of 4 - two teens in tow for lunch. Homemade soups amazing - sandwiches very good. Everything tastes like real food, nothing processed. Cute ambiance but chairs might not be comfortable for a long meal. It's a byob so remember to bring your drinks with you! Well worth the stop.

Bedford, Pennsylvania
“A favorite - plus new bakery next door!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have reviewed this restaurant previously, but returned today (November 19, 2013) for lunch as I had other errands in Bedford. The Bird's Nest is known for their homemade soups, so today I had a bowl of their chicken and rice soup. Definitely as good as any homemade soup I've had! And in a nod to the season, decided on the pumpkin pie. Michael, the proprietor, is an excellent baker - and the desserts in the restaurant and in the new bakery next door provide ample evidence of his skill. Beautiful autumn-themed cookies on display, and fresh cream puffs and eclairs and many more kinds of sweets in the bakery. My only complaint about this restaurant, and this has been true since it opened, is that I find it physically uncomfortable because of the style of chairs. They are ladderback chairs with rush seats, and a bit narrow for those of us with extra padding on our upper legs - I can never get comfortable. For little people with narrower physiques, it is probably fine. The food is always good, the service pleasant and efficient, and the ambience is charming. In spite of the discomfort physically, I will return many more times, I am sure.

• Visited November 2013