“Repeat Guest Many Times Over - Only Disappointment is the Food”

Omni Bedford Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I was just at Bedford Springs this weekend - and it was my second trip this year. I typically visit the resort several times a year - and I absolutely love going there. Everything about Bedford Springs is wonderful - but my repeat complaint....over the...six or seven times that I have visited is that the food is not the resort's strongest feature. The Tavern's menu is limited, overpriced, and disappointing. This is my fourth or fifth visit to the Crystal Room, and it has been more disappointing each time I've gone there. I was just at the resort for a bachelorette party this weekend, and the majority of us ordered the gnocchi. We received four gnocchi in a small bowl filled with vegetables - and we all counted - that we received exactly four. Pasta is an inexpensive meal to prepare - so $45 for four gnocchi and the salad bar, which has gone down in quality over my last few visits, was extremely disappointing. I wish that the resort would go away from the buffet format of the Crystal Room. It was far better food and a far better experience before the switch. Those are the only two things that I EVER have to say about Bedford that aren't 100% positive - because everything else is. If those two things could be addressed - it would be perfection. I don't mind spending a little more on a fine dining experience, but when you pay that much for the food, it should be much better.

Room Tip: Get a room on the end - it can be a little loud.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gretchen C
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Thank you for your loyalty to The Omni Bedford Springs. While we are thrilled that your stays have always been wonderful, we are disappointed that your dining experiences have been less than stellar. We will share your comments with our chef. In addition, during your next visit please don't hesitate to let us know during your meal if anything does not meet your expectations. We want every aspect of your time with us to be perfect including your meals!

There are newer reviews for Omni Bedford Springs Resort

Reviewed 8 March 2012

It is nice to step back into time...way back. Over 200 years old, it is amazing how incredibly cool and updated (but not) this place is. Bedford Springs has the first indoor olympic-sized swimming pool in the county, and it is so cool to think about that as you swim in the perfect temperature natural spring waters and look up onto the balconies. To imagine presidents staying here, and there kids playing here is amazing. The old photos hanging on every wall are incredible. The spa is beautiful, great services offered. Nothing here is on the cheap...however if you catch the Groupon or Living Social DO NOT pass up the opportunity to share in some of PA's history and to feel like one of the privileged. The staff at Bedford Springs are excellent! Very down to earth, yet very well trained to service people...coupon or not! Romantic and fun, there is something for everyone...children and pets as well!!! Cant wait to return again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main check-in building would be best for those with any disabilities. The 3 buildings a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

We were thrilled to read your review of The Omni Bedford Springs. We have such a fascinating history and we love reading how this history touches our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 6 March 2012

This resort has everything, including a 24/7 gorgeous pool, incredible staff, luxurious bathroom, spa amenities, terrific work out facility, and enough interesting rooms and bits of history to entertain for hours. This was an ideal hotel experience. The hotel is kept immaculate and smells wonderfully, like a new hotel. It is historic and classy with new and modern touches. The balconies off the rooms were a real bonus. The free hotel-wide WIFI is terrific. I could write a entire, separate paragraph on how perfect the bathrooms here are, from the gorgeous vanity to rain showerheads to marble sinks to romantic tub for two. Going to the bathroom is a whole new experience in this hotel. The TV had great channel choices and was very large. The staff was very flexible with a late check out, which we greatly appreciated. The grounds are stunning, especially with snow falling. The indoor pool takes visitors to another generation, surrounded in white marble and evoking a bygone era. Also, the water is from the springs and doesn't smell overly chlorinated like most indoor pools. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a close getaway from Washington, DC (2.5 hrs) and especially to couples looking to spend some quiet time with each other.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dnpinva

We are glad that all of your expectations were exceeded during your recent stay at The Omni Bedford Springs. Thank you for your glowing review and we hope you will be our guests again soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2012

My husband and I have been married for 5 years and have stayed at Bedford Springs about 2 times a year since getting married. We love the relaxed atmosphere of the resort, the indoor pool, the cozy bar, and eating at the 1776 Room. The town of Bedford is lovely to walk around and have a coffee or bite to eat.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aPghGirl

We appreciate you considering The Omni Bedford Springs Resort for your getaways with your husband. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences on TripAdvisor and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

A college roommate and I met here for a 3 day reunion. We loved the inn, the amenities and the attention given by hotel staff and servers. Make time to enjoy the indoor pool and the spa. We stayed in the spa wing and this was close to the indoor pool, spa and fitness room. A February snowfall made the lit fireplaces all the more enjoyable. We dined in the Frontier tavern and 1796. Both are pricey; but good food. I liked being here in the winter and it did not stop us from taking a hike along the trails. You won't be disappointed by a stay here. Watch for Omni specials or groupon deals.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Eternal Spring section are close to the spa, pools and fitness center.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing The Omni Bedford Springs for your reunion. It was a pleasure for us to read how you passed your time with us and we hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Went there the last three years for a conference because of central location in PA. Each time at the end of February.

The rooms are spacious and well kept with reasonably comfortable beds. The bathrooms are nice. The staff is helpful. The food is good, but as noted by others, is quite pricey given the locale (and less than Four Seasons level of the hotel) and quality. Since I went in winter I was unable to truly enjoy the beautiful outdoor amenities but i will assume in my review that they are excellent. While I did not partake, I heard the spa was excellent from other attendees.

As I stated I was there on a conference. I would have absolutely considered this as a summer vacation spot for my family but for one unbearably aggravating quality: The heating and air conditioning units in the room are incredibly loud. Unless you can sleep with a jackhammer outside your window this will make sleeping difficult. While I am a lighter sleeper, nearly everyone that I spoke with at the conference mentioned the noise. Also because this is a very old building and does not hold heat well, the unit is constantly cycling on and off. Also, unlike most hotels, most of the building is wood framed and you can hear the people above you unless you are on the top floor. Since the building was renovated relatively recently I would have hoped the noise would have been considered as it makes what is otherwise a nice property unacceptable to me.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

We appreciate all of your positive feedback but regret that noise from the heating system has detracted from your stays. This is a challenge that we are constantly monitoring but due to the historic nature of the hotel have to address it on a room by room basis. We are committed to finding a solution and hope it won't prevent you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Bedford Springs Resort has been beautifully restored and offers a delightful retreat for a few days. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious with lovely furnishings. The resort is a bit lacking in the service category. The maid came to our room one day as we were dressing and we asked her to come back in a few minutes but we never saw her again. The food service also needs work. The only lunch option is at the bar. We were a group of 10 and were never able to be seated together and the menu was limited. We had vegetarians in our group and unless they wanted the same salad every day they were out of luck. The Crystal Dining Room was beautiful and the food that was prepared was of good quality but wasn't very hot. Disappointing for a $45.00 per plate buffet. The vegetarians in our group ordered off the menu a vegetable pasta dish that was also $45.00, disappointing again.
I would be reluctant to go here again. It is a pricey resort and I expected more for the money.

Room Tip: Some king rooms are a bit larger than others so ask for a room at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

We appreciate all of your valuable feedback both positive and constructive. We regret that we missed the mark with both housekeeping and dining during your stay and will share your feedback with our operations team, especially your comments regarding vegetarian options in our restaurants. Thank you for allowing us to understand where we have room for improvement and we hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Quality Inn Bedford
Motel Town House
Motel Town House
#9 of 10 in Bedford
Holiday Inn Express Breezewood

Been to Omni Bedford Springs Resort? Share your experiences!