“birthday weekend”

Omni Bedford Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed 2 December 2013

welcome to a hotel where your treated well! happy people who enjoy their job, history and luxury, easy place to relax, great food, wonderful spa, excellent service, decompress from the world, anytime of year its a great get a way,

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (4,146)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Many years ago, I had a consulting job in Bedford, PA. Every time I commuted from my home in Maryland, I passed the decrepit, dilapidated skeleton of the Bedford Springs Resort, a stately, elongated, summer Victorian style, edifice spread out along the base of a hillside on the southern approach to the town of Bedford, a thriving village in south central Pennsylvania.

Passing this closed and dying structure every week became a very sad experience. The tall and elegant edifice couldn’t have been accessed except by earth moving equipment by the time I viewed it as it had been closed by then for almost ten years. Fully mature trees, shrubs, overgrown vines and all manner of weeds obscured both the view of the resort and its extent. I was always dismayed that such a lovely old place had been let go to wrack and ruin.

While working in Bedford, everyone I met lamented the loss of this beautiful and classic resort, so representative of the Victorian summer spa era. Several times I heard conversations about trying to get a group of investors together to restore the place, but all agreed that the cost would be prohibitive. Thus the resort continued to languish long after my consulting contract was over and into the 21st century.

Fast forward to the mid 2000s and a group of investors has been found! After an almost 200 million dollar renovation and the addition of a full-service spa, Bedford Springs Resort and Spa reopened in (about) 2008. World class golf! Great Spa! Fabulous food! But not so much with the management... and around 2010 The resort was sold to the Omni group of hotels and resorts.

This has resulted in vast improvements in friendliness and service, two of the main complaints about the previous owners. The resort primarily offers golf, spa services, really good food and a bit of an idea about what life was like during the resort’s heyday. Reconstruction was something of an archaeological dig and much of the resort’s history and its artifacts are on display in various parts of the resort.

The building(s) themselves are actually a long string of three or four story houses all connected to the main lobby, which consists of a central core where a library, the lobby and check-in are located. On entering the main lobby, you can turn right toward check-in, or left to pass through the lobby and follow a corridor to the spa wing.

One note: the hotel offers “tea” in the main lobby at 4 PM each day. And they’re not kidding. ALL there is on offer is tea, served from one dispenser, in small cups, with the smallest amount of amenties possible. No cookies or sandwiches, rolls, breads or other, typical, tea accompaniments. No additional dispensers of tea - or even coffee - or hot chocolate (thinking of how cold a day it was). There is a large service area in the main lobby just aching to be fully utilized and the whole “tea” thing seemed sad and lonely - not the vibrant, late afternoon break it might have been. People were lining up for the paltry offerings and I kept thinking how much more in the spirit of both the season and the resort it might have been to have even a few cookies lying around to enhance our enjoyment of both the tea or beverages and the beautiful holiday decorations.

Our room was in the original part of the hotel to the right as you come into the resort. After checking in we went to the Frontier Tavern for lunch, walking along a wide and sunny breezeway, furnished with wicker deck chairs many of which were occupied by guests reading (or napping) in the sun. There was also a selection of small shops through this area as well as the hotels’ meeting and party rooms. The Frontier Tavern offers unique but fairly basic luncheon fare which we enjoyed - being quite hungry when we arrived. Our table was in the sun, so we were very cozy on what was otherwise a cold day.

After lunch, we returned to our room. It was not very big, but you could see what had been retained from the original architecture, including the lovely old windows and the door to the outside porch... not really usable in late November. But definitely something to look forward to on cool evenings in the spring and summer. Let me say right here that the bathroom in our room (and presumeably the others) was one of the nicest I have come across in many hotel stays all over the world. In fact, I have incorporated many of the details I saw here into a renovation of one of my own bathrooms here at home. Also, GREAT bed! And much attention has been paid to getting the furnishings right while still upgrading to items that handle 21st century needs and technology.

This is when we also first noticed the VERY LOUD fan and heating unit for our room. Let me say that again... VERY LOUD!! And it proved to be so when we went to bed that night as well. Fortunately, my husband sometimes snores fairly loudly and I came prepared for that with a set of earplugs. Good thing! Though I also noticed that the hotel stocks earplugs in its sundry store, Bedford Market. Wonder why! We also noticed the cold when we departed our room for dinner. Since it was already cold, the temperatures plunged after dark and the corridors of the hotel became positively frigid. I did not notice even one heating vent in any of the corridors to or from our room. In fact, I noticed that the farther you were from the main lobby, the colder the corridors became.

Keep in mind that this hotel was a conversion/renovation from a summer only resort and you can understand that there was never a provision for heat when the place was only open from May to September, but I would have thought that in converting to a 12 month resort the designers just might have taken cold temperatures into account. Same with the heating systems in the rooms, which - nicely - are individually controlled. Nevertheless, the constant clicking and the extremely loud fan would, in my opinion, keep almost anyone awake throughout the night. (Though as far as I could tell, my husband slept like a baby - go figure.)

Our Thanksgiving dinner in the 1796 Room (located above the Frontier Tavern) was very possibly the best turkey dinner, home made or otherwise, I have ever had. We were fondly cared for by “Jim”, shared a couple glasses of wine and enjoyed Every... Single... Bite. I particularly enjoyed the Chestnut Soup and overindulged in the Pumpkin Ice Cream drizzled with chocolate. The stuffing was REALLY excellent and I am not onle to gush over stuffing at all! The room itself is just my style... small, romantically lit, quiet, intimate and rustic in decor with wooden floors and stucco walls. There is a nice display of antique rifles and flintlocks on one side of the room and other Revolutionary War era memorabilia displayed which contributed to the rustic environment. All in all, really lovely - and delicious!

Upon checking out, I did ask the desk personnel about the heating and if anything could be done and he essentially told me that the original renovators had cut corners on the heat installation and had not insulated the system very well. The implication, of course, was that there was not much Omni could do at this point to ameliorate the situation. I understand as given the size of the property I can’t imagine how much it would cost Omni to rework a system as extensive as the one at Bedford Springs. So do bring your earplugs or anticipate buying a pair at the Bedford Market.

Nevertheless, it is a beautiful place. We were only there for one night and did not have a chance to experience the spa services or play golf (which we don’t do anyway). Their golf course has a very good reputation and I am looking forward to trying their spa services in the not too distant future. The resort also comprises almost 2200 acres of woods and and mountains and they have several (though not enough) miles of walking and hiking trails across the road from the main property. Tours of the springs, spa and hotel and all its history are offered almost every day and their indoor pool is to die for!! Though it’s only been open seven or eight years, it’s obvious they are working to compete with Nemacolin in Farmington, PA and The Homestead in Hot Springs, VA. The feel of this place is more Homestead than Nemacolin (with its tired decor, weird clientele and WORLD CLASS spa - Bedford has a high bar to meet there).

We very much enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning to Bedford Springs Resort & Spa... Especially at shoulder season when we don’t have to turn on the heat!

1  Thank Kathleen G
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We spend Thanksgiving Holiday weekend at this beautiful resort. The last time we were here was back in 2007 when it first reopened, after a major renovation. It was beautiful then and this recent trip was as beautiful of an experience as ever. The staff was extremely friendly, from the doormen to the wait staff in the Grand Ballroom and the main restaurant. Food was excellent. The décor is beautiful, reminds you of an elegant historic property - brand new furniture in period design/setting. I love Nutcracker dolls and they were everywhere. One of the staff told us that there are 600 total and 400 are on display. The Thanksgiving feast on Thursday was probably one of the best delicious menu I have indulged in. This was a perfect way to celebrate Thanksgiving (in a historic resort) and to kick-off the Holiday Season. The Nutcracker dolls spread out all over the resort was a plus!

1  Thank CHRISTA Z
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The facility is beautiful. The Thanksgiving dinner buffet was delicious with a broad, interesting selection, and excellent service. We love the hiking trails, the indoor pool, and the rooms and common areas. It was a perfect choice to meet with distant family members for the holiday.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dreibede
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Had a great time swimming, spa-ing and relaxing. Flawless staff in a beautiful property. I loved seeing guests of all ages, some with dogs. Appreciated the fireplaces and the puzzles. Spa is gorgeous, so is the pool. I wish other guests had been more respectful of the relaxation area. There were some very loud groups of ladies who marred the peace for others. This was not the fault of spa personnel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The comments about the exceptional staff are right on the mark. The rooms are nice but the staff seems to be the standout. We'll definitely come back for another long and relaxing weekend. The Christmas trees and decorations throughout are fabulous.

My only negative is that the hotel is pet friendly and it would be helpful if the staff set aside rooms that were restricted for pet owners. Otherwise those with pet allergies may need to double up on meds.

5  Thank Robert D
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy the holiday festivities! We are happy to share that we do limit our guests with pets to a certain area of the resort so that we can maintain comfortable and safe rooms for those that may have allergies. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 November 2013

the resort is beautiful, the shopping in the city of Bedford is nice and quaint, we ate at the crystal dining room for dinner, way overpriced for the quality of food, it seemed like everything was frozen preheated and cooked, plus limited menu, should have eaten at the little bar area, the staff was very friendly, would do it again but at a differebt time of the year

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member