“Nice Clean Campground” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of KOA Campgrount Bellefonte / State College

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bellefonte
KOA Campgrount Bellefonte / State College
Auburn, Indiana
“Nice Clean Campground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here one night on our way home from Cape Cod. Parents had a back in deluxe site which had a very nice concrete patio with built in fire pit and a table with chairs. My wife and I had a tent site with water and electric. That site had a nice grassy area to set our tent up on. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The shower houses were modern and clean. They had free pancakes on Saturday morning and then gave you the option to purchase other items such as eggs, bacon and hash browns. We would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed here for 31 days in a tent site with water, power and TV hookups, so I feel like I got a real feel for the place. First off, the campground employees were very friendly and helpful - they all seemed to be genuinely very nice people. Wifi worked well, except for some sputtering and buffering during prime time. The pool was clean and well maintained, with comfortable chairs for relaxing. Laundry facilities and toilets/showers were also clean. Pancakes are free on Sunday mornings, with other items available for reasonable prices, example 2 eggs for $1.50. Fellow campers were relaxed and friendly, and when things got too noisy, campground staff did a good job of quieting things down. This included a party of 38 having a spirited July 4th party. Nice folks who invited me to join their family gathering. Tent campers need to choose their sites wisely, as some of the rustic sites don't include much in the way of flat ground for pitching the tent. My only complaints are minor and somewhat beyond KOA's control:
I paid a monthly rate, which was reasonable, but I feel that the nightly rate is a bit high. The campground is conveniently located off Interstate 80, but this means that when the ambient noise of daytime activities subsides and night falls, you do hear the highway, along with the engine braking of the big rigs. Neighbors were clearing trees, an operation that lasted pretty much Monday through Friday my entire last week. I am still hearing the sound of chainsaws. Some dog owners were not keeping their dogs from barking. Not nice, people. My dog spent 31 days there and didn't seem to need to bark at everyone who walked by. But like I said, this was beyond the control of KOA Bellefonte. All in all, I had an excellent month. This place is well managed, pays a lot of attention to details, and seems to genuinely put their hearts into making guests comfortable.

Room Tip: Tent campers should inspect sites before selecting in order to ensure a level tent site. Having to k...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank John K
Polk City, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a fairly standard KOA. I stayed there as an overnight for a long run from Michigan to Maryland via West Chester, PA. It was nice and easy to get in and out, very clean restrooms, and a nice pancake breakfast on Sunday morning. The service was very nice and the scenery was. I will likely return here for a longer trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Keystonekel
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We chose Bellefonte because its location (near I-80) meant that relatives from several cities could converge there. But now that I've been there, I'd go back, because it was quite a nice campground. It combined:
-- trees & shrubbery for tent campers like me (up in the top third of the campground)
-- cabins that I could rent for my first-time ever camping son-in-law (we got the second cheapest, I thought they would appreciate the A/C0, and I was happy, clean, nice looking cabin, but small -- the beds take up most of space-- but they also got fridge & microwave, and nice porch...well worth it).
-- very friendly staff who managed to find 3 sites relatively close to each other, and the cabin, and who were friendly dealing with one relative who was planning to arrive late at night, and I was also impressed how one staff ran a children's pool relay race in a way where all children were included and they all won prizes, and she also served up pancakes with a real smile. Another staff came quickly to deal with an electrical outlet problem, and was also very friendly.
-- a pool, small splash park, basket ball court, volleyball court, fishing pond (with horses nearby)...plus there were slush cones and hayrides and children's arts & crafts & other activities for people who like those things
-- free pancakes Sunday morning
It was very crowded when we arrived (Sat night of 4th of July), and although our tent site was in the back, under a beautiful tree, we could hear our neighbors (including one who snored!) So it's not wilderness camping. At night or when the campground was quiet, I could hear the distant whine of traffic on I-80, but it was far enough away it was basically white noise, and the closer side street was quiet (not much traffic, and long drive way anyway). The campground seems to be surrounded by farms and woods, and so it was nice & quiet. We enjoyed driving a little ways down the road and getting pick-you-own berries at a nearby Amish farm.

Bathrooms were clean and comfortable.

The RV sites near the pool are crowded, with people stacked like sardines (or like RVs in that kind of ampground), but the sites further away from the pool were more spacious.

I may have to let go of my prejudice against KOA if they are all like this. (And while the rates are not cheap, it seemed decent value; and the extra fees from things like firewood, ice, etc., were quite reasonable compsared to other campgrounds). So, I would go again the next time I'm in the area. Would recommend to others (as long as you aren't looking for a wilderness camping experience).

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

First impression of lodge #1 - how adorable! A porch swing! How cute is this!? Until all five of us (including three children under 6) were inside with our stuff, and then it felt cramped.

The bedroom was very tiny and as an earlier reviewer said, the door could not open all the way because of the bed. A bench or shelf would be nice to have to place luggage on. The top bunk bed was very high off the ground and made me nervous with my daughter up there, even with her being used to her bunk bed at home. The mattresses are really hard and I wish I had brought egg crate mattress covers. The AC worked well - we arrived on a hot, humid day and the AC was a godsend.

My main complaints with this cabin that can and should be fixed by management are its cleanliness and the septic smell in the bathroom. Dirt and debris seemed to be swept into corners and not vacuumed up, and it was gross. The bathroom smelled like a porta-john.

Other family members stayed in two of the newer cabins and they were immaculate. Next time I will be sure to rent one of those. They were airy and clean, with updated kitchens and bathrooms. Both had a nice deck and a fire pit.

We also had family renting a camp site for their camper. They had a great spot in the grassy area with an awesome poured concrete patio and fire pit. They arrived on a rainy day and mud was a non-issue with that patio.

The only activities we did were the splash park (very small, but enough to make my four-year-old happy and the zip line. The zip line is something that can be missed - it's very short. My nieces did the tie-dye and had fun. The pool was very nice.

Overall I would definitely come back to this KOA, as long as I could rent a newer cabin and it was a little cleaner. We didn't have a lot of interaction with staff, but when we did they were super friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: The mattresses are super hard and uncomfortable (this coming from someone who doesn't mind sleep...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Livingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This campground has everything you need for a wonderful weekend, week, or even a month. There are tent sites, 30/50amp RV sites, and many different styles of cabins to meet your needs. There is a heated pool and splash park, white sand volley ball court, zip line, and playgrounds to keep the kids occupied. Every Sunday morning the staff provides a free pancake breakfast for the guests. If you want to check out Penn State University, or just enjoy all that Centre County has to offer, this is the place to stay. This is a great campground and I recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

This park is far enough of Interstate 80 that you get no road noise. It’s a quiet park that is on a terraced hill with sites on different levels. The road around the park is gravel and easy to navigate with a variety of gravel campsites. Most sites are very narrow; your picnic table will be next to your neighbors’ sewer hookup. Some of the sites are elevated from the road and must be climbed up into with your RV. The gravel pad is mostly level but your toad will be sitting on a hill so unhook before parking. If you want to spend a few days, put out the awning and BBQ you will want to upgrade to one of their premium sites that offers lots of patio room with a concrete pad, fire pit and wooden table with chairs. These are on their own level with pull-thru or back in sites available. Sprint cell and 3G worked well and the park wifi was fast and easy to get on. The park staff was friendly and helpful. The bathrooms were clean and looked like they had recently been remodeled. There were ongoing renovations while we were there at the pool and cabins but they keep the noise and dust to a minimum. This park is close to Penn State and can get very busy on game weekends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellefonte
Hampton Inn & Suites Lamar
#2 of 2 in Mill Hall
#1 of 1 in Milesburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area)
BEST WESTERN PLUS University Park Inn & Suites
Reynolds Mansion Bed and Breakfast

Been to KOA Campgrount Bellefonte / State College? Share your experiences!