Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel
US$76
US$69
ComfortInn
Agoda.com
All reviewsdunkin donutsbest westernskiddie poolawesome stayfree breakfasthot breakfastan overnight stayhot tubwafflesstreet roadlobby areafront desk personcleaning staffclean hotelparx casinocomfortable staymini fridge
Reviewed 28 August 2007

There was nothing really "good" to write about this hotel. The pool seems nice but not heated so it was freezing. It also closed at 9pm. The restaurant Rachel's was a complete joke. People in our party left before getting their meals because it was taking so long (over 2 hours). This was after a day at Sesame with a bunch of 2 year olds! The room was clean but a bit musty smelling. There was no elevator. The hallways smelled of cleaning fluids. And that's pretty much it!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank newyorkerlongisland
Reviewed 27 August 2007

My wife & I wanted to take our kids to Sesame Place and also see Philadelphia. The Holiday Inn in Bensalem is the perfect location--just minutes away from Sesame and from a few different 'light rail' stations that take you into Philly.

I admit I was nervous, because I checked out this site and a few others were people were saying bad things about it. I'm so glad I didn't cancel/switch my reservation!

We stayed in one of the suites ($160 with AAA discount) where kids slept in a separate room. The decor was nice and contemporary and the room was clean/great housekeeping. The suite had a nice jacuzzi too!

There were also loads of restaurants within a 2-minute drive and a big convenience store/deli right next door to the hotel. So the location was great, and the price was reasonable. Regular rooms with AAA were $99.

The only thing that wasn't perfect was that our shower leaked a bit and we needed to wipe up the water with a towel. And, another family we were with who stayed in a regular room had problems with their refridgerator (didn't work), but otherwise they really liked their room too. I also used the outdoor pool which was nice.

As I mentioned, I've seen a lot of people say negative things about this hotel. Is it the Four Seasons? No, but then, you shouldn't expect it to be. IIt's a decent hotel and it totally fit our needs for a 3-night stay. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Kyliefan
Reviewed 7 August 2007

Sesame Place Bound!!!!
We stayed here last summer, too....
First off.... You MUST pick up the "room Saver" coupon mag at a rest stop..... instead of paying the going rate ($170 OR SO) we paid $92.... our bill at checkout for one nite was !100.25. GOOD STUFF!!!
Yeah- the special room rate was perfect for our family of 4.... two queen beds & room for the pack & play.... ice maker & the POOL!
Our 5 yr old LOVED THE POOL.... it was Great!!!!! (closes @ 9pm, I think) The staff was SO nice & very friendly. (Mary @ front desk was a GEM!)
Room had a funky smell.... not gross, or unclean... but a bit musty.
Bath was ok.... had to mess w/ the plunger thing for a few minutes to make sure the tub filled.
NO ELEVATOR at this hotel.... so be warned....

But- we got our $$$$ worth. I really think $100 for one nite was a great rate. The pool (& the little baby pool) were HUGE bonuses.

You HAVE TO get the "room saver" coupon mag at the rest areas on the way..... we booked as "walk ins." Before you go... Call the desk & ask them what booking looks like for your dates....
I did.... & they told us to try & wing it w/ the "walk in" coupon..... I'm glad we did!!!

They let us check in at 9am (EARLY!!!) for no extra charge.

I recommend this one. At $100 how can you go wrong!?!?!

3  Thank Mk_from_NJ
Reviewed 31 July 2007

We actually did not stay at this hotel, choosing a local suites motel instead; however, my colleague and his family did stay here and we spent most of our time at this hotel. My experience with the hotel stems from our decision to eat dinner at Rachel's, the hotel restaurant. With the kids and adults, we were a 9-top, making it difficult to find a place for dinner on a Saturday night so we opted to eat at the hotel restaurant, which was completely empty. Although the kids meals were served relatively quickly, the appetizers (simple chicken wings) took 30 minutes. After almost two hours in the restaurant, though, we still had not yet received our main meals. I felt as if I was sitting through a "Hell's Kitchen" dining experience. Two other parties (couples) then entered the restaurant and BOTH were served their main meal before we received ours. Further, during this entire 2 hour period, our server barely even approached our table! When I finally complained, the server popped off that "Maybe your food isn't cooked yet." Noticing that I was ready to really become angry at the sarcastic remark, the manager quickly interceded and sent the server to the kitchen, comping our meal and agreeing to send it directly to the room, as we had hoped to get the kids one last dip in the pool before bedtime but after a 2 hour wait for our meals, we were running out of time. Of course, when we took the kids to the pool while awaiting the room service delivery of our food, we learned that the lifeguard had decided to close the pool 10 minutes early so there would be no chance for the kids to swim. Then, when our food was received, it was evident that 3 of the 5 adult meals (Philly Steak Sandwich, fried chicken, french fries were as tasty as petrified wood, etc.) had been sitting under a warmer for a VERY LONG time, making them wholly inedible. The other meal (chicken stir fry) appeared to be hot, as if this meal had been forgotten and quickly cooked to catch up with the other food to be delivered as fast as possible because we had complained. My colleague then went to the front desk to further complain about the attitude from the life guard and the dining experience and was abruptly informed that there was nothing further the hotel could do because he purchased the room via Expedia. Furthermore, "We did comp your meal" -- never acknowledging that a free, inedible meal doesn't really solve the problem. Shortly thereafter, my wife came down with what was clearly a bout of food poisoning, furthering my belief that the chicken in her stir fry was never really cooked and was only flashed, giving it the appearance that the meal had been cooked without taking the extra time to thoroughly cook it. Quite frankly, although I did not stay here, I can strongly advise that the staff was very unhelpful and unwilling to rectify a situation that they themselves caused, patting themselves on the back for giving us free food which my dogs wouldn't have eaten, and as for the restaurant, you're better off visiting Hooters across the street.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank tinabtw
Reviewed 18 June 2007

We chose to stay here for two nights for our visit to Sesame Place with our son. We elected to stay here because it was about $40 cheaper per night than the Sheraton. However we wish we paid the extra money.

The hotel is located in what seems to be in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night here. But just down the road are some restaurants, and it is conveniently close to the US-1.

Front-desk reception was efficient but not very friendly at all. We were the only people there but they almost seemed annoyed by our appearance.

Our room was decent enough - by today's standards a good sized room, comfortable bed, clean, big bathroom and an excellent shower. Linens and towels were nice and clean.

Negatives - the A/C was noisy and wasn't very cold. However we elected to keep it on all night so as to mask the constant rattling of the fridge. The bathroom fan didn't work (appears to be a common theme - when will they get their act straight), and there was a lot of ceiling liner peeling. There was an extremely large amount of commotion from above us - we figure kids excited about going to Sesame Place the next day, but it was pretty prevalent. TV reception was horrible with not a lot of channels.

We ate one breakfast at Rachel's in the hotel, which was good but really slow, which was strange considering we were the only ones in the restaurant the whole time. The waitress wasn't particularly friendly but she did run out after us when we forgot something at our table, which we appreciated.

We didn't really need a crib for our son, but put a call through asking for one anyway just in case he didn't like sleeping with us in our King bed. We never did get the crib and no response at all.

On the morning we had to get to Sesame Place by 9:15 for breakfast with the characters, we left the hotel at 8:15 even though it's only a 10-minute drive. There must have been an accident on the US-1 because we sat for ten minutes on the street not even able to get close to the on-ramp. So after a few arguments, tense moments, and thanks to a map, we took the sideroads to the park and got there just in time. This wasn't the hotel's fault, but we would have avoided this if we had simply stayed near the park.

All in all, a decent place to stay but with a lot of minor inconveniences and seemingly indifferent attitude from the staff. Given we still paid about $120 a night we would have hoped for better. I think next time we'll look for something closer to the park, even if it costs a little more.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family