“1970's Revisited”

Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Bensalem
Reviewed 13 June 2008

This hotel is like stepping back into the 1970's...tired and dreary. At no time during my 3-day stay did I feel "welcomed."

There's no elevator, so I carried my bags to second floor. The hallways were warm and damp and smelled from cigarettes.

My room? Red stains on the carpet and dingy furniture.

Hungry? Go elsewhere. Servers were inept, at best. The food is barely edible. Lucky for you, the restaurant (I use the term loosely) is only open for breakfast and dinner. The restaurant closes at 9pm and the bar closes at 10pm. (The restaurant and bar are co-located.)

The lobby has a fireplace, TV, free newspapers, and free coffee. The outdoor pool area is very nice.

My group used a hotel conference room (the room was a disgrace.)

No matter what I asked for during my stay, the answer was "No", or "We can't do that", or "I don't know."

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank MadgeOwens

Reviewed 26 March 2008

i was traveling through the area and this hotel was reserved for me by my company. came up and was an easy place to find. i came in and the lobby look nice. the people behind the desk were very friendly. as i came to my room and it was nice. the room was clean had a good internet connection, and had a peaceful night sleep. i woke up went down to the restaurant had breakfast and was on my way. overall i had a great stay, has a great location and the staff is nice and courtous.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2008

A friend booked this hotel for us, so, I did not have any control over it. I didnt read anything about this hotel before going here, incase he picked a bad one. Easy to find hotel, arrived, and the desk already knew who we were, and what kind of room we had. They gave us a complementary bag of goodies and a free drink at there bar. They were VERY nice and made us feel at home. Our room was nice. You can tell, the hotel was old, in age. Ive read people complain about no elevator... its only 2 floors, and, if your handicapped, you can easily ask for a room near the door on the first floor. The layout was a very old style, nothing like current hotels. The carpeting was brand new and very soft and cushiony. Room itself was not huge, but, not real small. We had a 2 bed room, that came with a really nice chair, and a computer area with computer chair. Large closet, ok sized bathroom, and decent sized tv. Plenty of tv channels (4 ESPN channels) HBO and others. Beds were GREAT, tons of pillows. Bathroom had all the goodies we needed for a stay, but, no exhaust fan to get rid of smells and fog from the shower, oddly enough. VERY nice shower! Fairly quiet hotel overall, offers a late checkout, and FREE internet that was very easy to connect to and very fast. For the price ($90 a night at 2 nights with 2 people, 2 beds) i was very pleased, and, will go back again. We did not try the bar and resteraunt, so, I cannot comment. From The hotel to the center of philly took us 30 min, to the city limits was about 15 minutes. Easy road access. Overall, Id rate it a A-.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2008

we went to holiday inn and this hotel is very clean and nice. the staff was very nice and my kids had a wonderful time. we liked it very much. this place is good and i want to thank the staff for being so nice.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2007

There was nothing really "good" to write about this hotel. The pool seems nice but not heated so it was freezing. It also closed at 9pm. The restaurant Rachel's was a complete joke. People in our party left before getting their meals because it was taking so long (over 2 hours). This was after a day at Sesame with a bunch of 2 year olds! The room was clean but a bit musty smelling. There was no elevator. The hallways smelled of cleaning fluids. And that's pretty much it!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank newyorkerlongisland
Reviewed 27 August 2007

My wife & I wanted to take our kids to Sesame Place and also see Philadelphia. The Holiday Inn in Bensalem is the perfect location--just minutes away from Sesame and from a few different 'light rail' stations that take you into Philly.

I admit I was nervous, because I checked out this site and a few others were people were saying bad things about it. I'm so glad I didn't cancel/switch my reservation!

We stayed in one of the suites ($160 with AAA discount) where kids slept in a separate room. The decor was nice and contemporary and the room was clean/great housekeeping. The suite had a nice jacuzzi too!

There were also loads of restaurants within a 2-minute drive and a big convenience store/deli right next door to the hotel. So the location was great, and the price was reasonable. Regular rooms with AAA were $99.

The only thing that wasn't perfect was that our shower leaked a bit and we needed to wipe up the water with a towel. And, another family we were with who stayed in a regular room had problems with their refridgerator (didn't work), but otherwise they really liked their room too. I also used the outdoor pool which was nice.

As I mentioned, I've seen a lot of people say negative things about this hotel. Is it the Four Seasons? No, but then, you shouldn't expect it to be. IIt's a decent hotel and it totally fit our needs for a 3-night stay. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Kyliefan
Reviewed 7 August 2007

Sesame Place Bound!!!!
We stayed here last summer, too....
First off.... You MUST pick up the "room Saver" coupon mag at a rest stop..... instead of paying the going rate ($170 OR SO) we paid $92.... our bill at checkout for one nite was !100.25. GOOD STUFF!!!
Yeah- the special room rate was perfect for our family of 4.... two queen beds & room for the pack & play.... ice maker & the POOL!
Our 5 yr old LOVED THE POOL.... it was Great!!!!! (closes @ 9pm, I think) The staff was SO nice & very friendly. (Mary @ front desk was a GEM!)
Room had a funky smell.... not gross, or unclean... but a bit musty.
Bath was ok.... had to mess w/ the plunger thing for a few minutes to make sure the tub filled.
NO ELEVATOR at this hotel.... so be warned....

But- we got our $$$$ worth. I really think $100 for one nite was a great rate. The pool (& the little baby pool) were HUGE bonuses.

You HAVE TO get the "room saver" coupon mag at the rest areas on the way..... we booked as "walk ins." Before you go... Call the desk & ask them what booking looks like for your dates....
I did.... & they told us to try & wing it w/ the "walk in" coupon..... I'm glad we did!!!

They let us check in at 9am (EARLY!!!) for no extra charge.

I recommend this one. At $100 how can you go wrong!?!?!

3  Thank Mk_from_NJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bensalem
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Bensalem
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#7 of 10 in Bensalem
Hampton Inn & Suites Philadelphia/Bensalem
Inn of the Dove - Bensalem
Holiday Inn Bensalem - Philadelphia Area
Radisson Hotel Philadelphia Northeast

Been to Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel? Share your experiences!