“Wouldn't be my first choice”

Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Bensalem
Reviewed 10 July 2014

OK to be fair to the hotel they are currently undoing major reconstruction and refurbishment. However in my opinion they should reduce the rates accordingly until they get things sorted. The lobby has plastic sheets on the ceiling and part of the area is not even accessible. The pool was closed as was the bar which was set up in a side room and totally uninviting. The building is old and has a horrible atmosphere.

The room was better and more what I would expect and they allowed us to extend check out time. Also they were the only hotel we could find that allowed pets. We were there due to a family member being in hospital so this was a last minute booking. Once they have finished all the renovation it might be worth the price but wouldn't go back until that is finished.

It is in a good location for the casino and within an easy drive to Philadelphia city.

Room Tip: Probably on the first floor since everything is located there, lobby, pool, bar, restaurant, laundry...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Sara C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad to read you like the room accommodations and good hotel location. I apologize for any inconvenience the on-going renovations and hotel amenities may have caused you. he items that you’ve mention will be discussed and brought to the attention of the hotel Management for necessary improvements. We do hope that you will allow us to have the chance of serving you when travels bring you back to the area.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 9 July 2014

What you do if someone told you that the toilet was clogged up and flowing over? Wouldn't you respond kinda quickly?
On June 29, we checked into Room 159 and at the first use of the toilet it was stopped up. I called the front desk around 8PM, and they said they would send maintenance down. They never showed up Sunday night. I found a helpful housekeeping staff member who let me use a plunger. That didn't work. I called Monday morning and told the front desk that our toilet was still stopped up, and maintenance never showed up Sunday night. At 8AM, the front desk said they would send maintenance come down.At 9AM, I had to walk to the front desk (opposite end of the hotel) which they apologized. Tina did hand me a voucher for breakfast, but this toilet problem was starting to cause a stir. Maintenance did show up, and got the toilet to work. We stayed until Thursday AM. AND guess what the toilet stopped up again, but in addition to that, the toilet upstairs overflowed and saturated the ceiling tiles with BROWN WATER. My wife who was in the bathroom at the time, had a couple drops of this brown water get on her leg. Yes, she did reshower after that.
I called maintenance again and told them that water was coming down, and they did nothing while we were there. We decided to leave an hour earlier, because why be in the room if they won't come to clean up or fix the clogged toilets.
Other than that the Housekeeping staff was very helpful, and the restaurant staff was very polite. Wish the dining experience was better, but they are under renovation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Larry K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Larry K,

Thank you for sharing your experience online. We regret that you were not able to fully enjoy your time at the hotel due to the bathroom. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings you have experience, in particular the maintenance services. Please know that this is not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in. Your concerns have been discussed with the respective departments and I am confident that necessary action will be taken to ensure similar situations do not reoccur.

We hope that if your travels brings you back to our area, you would give us another opportunity to provide the excellent accommodations you were expecting.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms were as clean as one should expect for a regular hotel room, the beds were comfortable, however less than 15 channels on the TV worked? Now the location however, was horrific. Coming from out of state, the on-ramp to Philadelphia, which is very close to the hotel, turned out to be an E-Z pass only entrance? We ended up with an $80 ticket, our fault, but the regular entrance was on the opposite side of the street and you had to get off some other entrance to get over there. Complicated if you're not used it to. The hotel was close to restaurants and shopping in Bensalem, but turns out the city is completely ghetto. If you are however looking for a hotel in Bensalem, this one was good for the price.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Molly S

Dear Molly S,

Thank you for writing us feedback. We are happy that you mentioned our clean rooms and comfortable beds. However, allow us to apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced with the television service and if you found the hotel location less than satisfactory. Your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team. Despite your disappointment, we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 7 July 2014

went to holiday inn to celebrate my nieces birthday which is on the 4th of July . when we got there the lobby was under contruction i said ok . then found out pool was closed due to the storm ! what storm ? the grill can't be used because that area was under construction . when we checked in noone ever mention anything to us , when we complained they couldn't accomadate us not to mention we there was 3 families with us that was 16 people .the rooms were horrible smelled musty & the rugs were wet. TJ showed my sister 2 different rooms & the smelled like someone was smoking mind you the room was for nonsmokers . it was a horrible experience & i don't recommend this holiday inn to noone. oh by the way the manager Tina Overton was no help neither.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Judith R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Judith R,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Again, thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O

Reviewed 4 July 2014

It stormed so badly that my power was out. I had a voucher to stay at the formerly owned Hampton Inn. The lady at the front desk at the Holiday Inn Kate E. got approval from the manager and I was able to stay. The voucher was a little old but Holiday Inn honored it! The room was very nice which I wasn't expecting since I was getting a freebie. I was also treated like a paying customer. I had the gall to ask for a late checkout and not only was that granted but she gave me an extra hour to be on the safe side due to the planned activities in the hotel the next day. I recommend this hotel. My experience was excellent!

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor and half way down the hall. I didn't have to walk far which was a p...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed there this weekend after reading some bad reviews I was extremely nervous until I saw the room. Our room was recently remodeled and extremely clean. The lady at the front desk during check in was very helpful and told me the best place to park so our walk to our room wouldn't be too far. Our only complaint is about the restaurant in the hotel we ate there the first morning we ordered very basic foods pancakes, oatmeal, and a bagel our wait was a total of 45 mins before we got our food it made for an unhappy start to our day with 2 little ones. Also the first high chair we were giving was broken and had screws sticking out of it the replacement wasn't much better the back was broken. Our last morning we decided to try breakfast again cause we had a little more time to spare. It was us and one other table we decided we would keep it simple again this time both kids got yougurt and fruit and my husband and I got a bagel after waiting 25 mins I asked the waitress if she knew how long it would be she explained the kitchen was backed up I asked how that was possible there were only a few of there she said cause of room service. I asked her if she could at least grab the kids yogurt it was another 25 mins before we saw her again well our quick breakfast turned into an hour and 10mins then I had to hunt the waitress's down to pay the bill. I would recommend staying in the hotel but would recommend eating somewhere else ... Dunkin donuts is across the parking lot

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was without a doubt the worst experience I have ever had. I was recently released from the hospital with pneumonia which was caused by water damage and mold in my house. My insurance company put me up in a hotel while repairs were being performed. I am a handicapped veteran and a USAA Member. The manager named Marina put me into a smoking room on the second floor in a hotel with no elevator. I had to call USAA to get me into a room that was on the first floor and non-smoking. This after I called the front desk to inform her of the mistake. She put me on hold and never picked the phone back up. They then extended my stay from two to four days. I called this morning to insure that my key would be renewed so I could get back into my room. When I went back this evening to take my medication the key didn't work after calling to be sure it would. I went to the front desk and she was there again and proceeded to give me a battle which ended with her telling me the hotel was booked for the night and my reservation wouldn't now be renewed. She basically threw me out in the street and then had the gall to try to charge my insurance company for another night.
STAY AWAY FROM THIS PROPERTY.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank MIannucci
HolidayInnBensalem, Manager at Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear that you felt inconvenienced during your stay but I can assure you that was not our intent. When the insurance company booked your room they only booked for 2 nights, in a standard non guaranteed room. This means they are booking a room for you but not guaranteeing the rooms size or smoking preference. Unfortunately we were sold out for the time you were here and only had smoking rooms available to put you in, but once a non smoking room became available the front desk did make it possible to switch your room. I am sorry that you were told your key would work for you, I apologize you should have been told to come to the front desk to get it checked just to be safe and this will be brought to the front desks attention. The reason that you were asked to leave our hotel was because the insurance company did not send authorization for the additional nights and you were asked to leave because of the profanity that was used when you called the staff a C Word & told her that you would punch her if she was guy. While we do value all of our guests, we are unable to have guests stay here that act that way and we do not want our employees to feel like they are in any type of danger.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bensalem
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#7 of 9 in Bensalem
Hampton Inn & Suites Philadelphia/Bensalem
Holiday Inn Bensalem - Philadelphia Area
Radisson Hotel Philadelphia Northeast
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Bensalem
Inn of the Dove - Bensalem

Been to Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel? Share your experiences!