“GOOD PLACE FOR BREAKFAST” 3 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Catherine's Restaurant
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
“GOOD PLACE FOR BREAKFAST”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

Good place for breakfast but nothing exceptional. They do have regulars though so some people really like the place.

Visited March 2012

Bensalem, Pennsylvania
“Not at all what it once was”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Since changing ownership, this community mainstay has steadily degraded. The food is worse, the prices higher and the service just short of surly. The new owner is arrogant and seems to be indifferent about his customers.

“Best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Has the best things to wat got there every Sunday morning it is the best

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bensalem, PA
“Bad Service, Bad Rep Around Town, Old/Dated Place...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

The shame of it is, I like to patronize local businesses, because they are often struggling in the economy. Catherine's has been around for over 20 years, and has a semi-loyal fan base among old people who like their breakfasts. When I was there, the decor was cute but dated (old movie star posters line the walls), the tables are small, and the food took FOREVER to come to the table. Everything about the meal was "okay," with nothing being above-average. I usually enjoy breakfast food immensely, and for me to say this was so-so really means something. The flavors were bland, and some of the food was tasteless. (Maybe this is why the old people like it?) The server was scarce, as other posters have mentioned. It is hard to get coffee refills when they never come back to the table. All in all, not a great expereince. The parking lot is also small and crowded as a WaWa is nearby, so be careful driving there.

• Visited December 2010
Bensalem
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I Will Never Eat Here Again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

What a Horrid Experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will never go back and discourage anyone else to keep driving right on by.

Hunting for a local option for dinner I decided to give Cathrine's a try while most would look at a small local place next to a wawa as something to think twice about normally I find some of the best food at such local places, Not in this case. I should have cut my loses when the server argued with me regarding what did and did not come with my meal even though the menu clearly stated differently. Then when asking what dressings come with the dinner salad I am presented a pad of which to choose from, so I rolled with it. Drinks come out with lemon that is somewhat brownish and not at all enticing. OK Lemon to side (mind you no side plates here) Salads come out, totally commercial dressing but a decent salad. 2 bites into the salad comes my dining companions appetizer...yet my cup of soup is nowhere to be found...Server meanwhile is in the back chatting with the other staff (we were but one of four people in the place) My companion has now completed his appetizer my soup arrives (I ordered chicken noodle) it is brownish has 4 bow tie noodles in it some celery and hmmmm looks like beef with the chicken. Upon further inspection it was beef! The server finally returned I expressed that I found beef in my soup and no longer wanted to stay for the remainder of the meal but wanted to pay for what we had already eaten. He went back to the kitchen and then brings out our meals. We asked to speak with the manager.

She took an interesting stance on this requiring us to pay for everything we ordered consumed or not or she was going to call the police. She continued to argue with everything we said, even when we took what she was telling ua and proved to her that it was not as it was supposed to be. Upon further disagreement the person cooking for the evening who we are guessing is an owner comes out and we again offer to pay what we consumed and call it a night. He agrees and goes back to see what he and his 16-19 year old staff can come up with to cover his costs. 5 minutes later they come back with a bill, so here is the breakdown of what they charged us for this ever growing fiasco. The

Iced tea $2 each
Wings $5.99 (menu price)
Celery & Blue Cheese Garnish $2.50 (not listed nor mentioned as extra)
Cup of Chicken Noodle Soup $2.50 (uneaten)
Dinner Salad $7.99 each

Now originally the salads should have been part of the meal but since we called it quits before the entree and asked for a bill they charged us the early bird special cost for the entree as the salad price.

Never in all my years of working food service or dining out have I ever been treated with such discourteous and rude behavior by a restaurant. If this is how they treat their customers they should be going out of business shortly. Word travels fast with local places.

Would I reccommend Cathrine's....NEVER. Run as fast as you can from here or better yet keep driving. The staff obviously has no clue as to customer service or manners.

1 Thank RandomDiner