“Amazing Place for a Family!”

Bird-In-Hand Family Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bird in Hand
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Let me start by saying 25 years ago my grandparents brought me here numerous time while I was young. I planned this vacation to bring my great memories to my wife and 2 year old son. As we pulled up I was a little nervous being hat is actually a motel, at least the front part. My nerves were lessened by the amazing staff at check in. When we entered our room I was surprised by the amazing room we had in the original building. It was a demo room, and what they will eventually well turn the rest of the room into according to the staff.

The view from my room was a picturesque amish farm, complete with hot air balloons launching at dusk. The pool is outstanding with one outside and two inside pools. There is a amazing play ground for kids and a petting zoo on the property.

This place is perfect for families with young, medium, or older children. This hotel is made for families.

The hotel is 10 -15 minutes from all attractions in the area at the most.

I can not to come back.

Room Tip: The front building is better than the pool building.
2  Thank Rusty P

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Over the years the prices have gone up quite a bit, that is why I usually only stay there maybe every other or every third visit. Front end staff is almost always very pleasant and also very helpful with any questions you have about the hotel or the surrounding area.

The rooms are usually very clean, although on this past visit the room smelled a bit moldy and the bathroom definitely could have been cleaned a lot better. I even asked them to redo it, but from what I could tell they never did. Not sure about all the rooms, but mine definitely could use to be updated, getting kind of old looking.

They offer a free two hour bus tour of the country side and some local places where you can buy some Amish items. Be sure to book early, at least the day before since it is a small bus and fills quickly, although they have several tours most days.

The are two indoor pools and one outdoor pool, along with an indoor jacuzzi. They have small game room and outside is a play area, small petting zoo and depending on the time of year you go there a miniature golf course.

I have been a VIP member for years, but the last time I was there they did not give any treats like they used to on arrival. Plus they talk about the discounts the card can get you in different stores but they never give you a list of these places. It would be helpful if the gave some kind of list everytime you check in.

So overall a decent place, but could use some updates to rooms and do a better job cleaning. They need to address these issues if they are going to keep raising their prices. I was torn between 3 and 4 stars, but giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will correct these issues.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken N
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Took my great niece to Lancaster for her first visit. Our room was very clean and spacious. Loved that they offered a free 2 hour guided tour on an air conditioned bus for guests. Their restaurant is right by the hotel and they have delicious food. Also a mini golf course on the property. There was also a playground for kids. They have 2 indoor pools and a large indoor hot tub. Also a large outdoor pool. I would definitely stay here again. The staff was very friendly also.

1  Thank Cheryl W
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Just spent the weekend here, everything was great. The room was super clean, the grounds beautiful and the staff was super kind. I had to ask the housekeeping staff for some extra towels and they were so kind, they didn't mind helping me and didn't treat me like a bother. I hope to stay here again.

1  Thank Gabesgirl2014
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Bird-In-Hand Family Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

We're happy to hear you had such a nice time and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife & I stayed for 3 nights in early August 2014. The property is very nice- clean rooms, nice outdoor & indoor pools (2 indoor pools), a LARGE hot tub, ping pong and pool table in the pool area, small game room, a small fitness area, walking track around a large pond, ice cream store on site serving sundaes/milkshakes etc and mini golf courses on site. There is a small petting zoo were kids can feed the animals and a scooter rental on site. Everything was very clean and staff very pleasant. One thing I hope to do the next time we are there, and I think it is an awesome thing that they offer guests for free, is the 2 hour bus tour of the area that departs right from the hotel. Most tours cost an additional fee, but this is free for guests! They have outdoor chairs and loungers in their front yard were we saw people sitting every day & night. They also were handing guests a small homemade loaf of bread with berries in it as they checked in. Very nice and no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul F
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We took a family vacation stopping here for two nights. The hotel itself is older and nothing special but had a very nice playground area, three swimming pools (2 inside and one outdoors) along with a miniature golf course that my four year old loved. It was fun to watch the buggies drive by and the staff made the hotel great, at check in they gave us free strawberry bread from their bakery and were some of the nicest smiling folks you could have the pleasure of meeting. They suggested some local places to eat, fun things to do and just overall very accommodating. The restaurant on property was ok, lots of options but nothing that we thought was spectacular. Rooms were standard, clean and comfortable but walls were thin as you can definitely hear your neighbors.

If you have young children, I would recommend this place for the amenities for sure. We are so glad we took the advice of a staff member and visited Dutch wonderland, which I will be writing a glowing review of!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bigdreams
Reviewed 18 July 2014

If you like a fancy hotel, this spot is not for you and in fact could actually stand an update. However if you want amenities plus this is the place for you. Everyone who stays there gets a free two hour tour of the Amish countryside with 2 to 3 stops at shops on the back roads. They have tennis courts, basketball court, new play ground equipment, two on site miniature golf courses, snack shop, game room, exercise room, a huge outdoor pool, 2 huge indoor pools and the largest hot tub I have ever seen. They also have a very good restaurant and gift shop. Beds are very comfy and though the restaurant is not open on Sundays they do have a brunch exclusively for their guests. They also have a gathering area around a fire pit and a great lobby for visiting. The room were very clean and the beds very comfortable. This location is money well spent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DavenportPete
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Bird-In-Hand Family Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

And don't forget the petting zoo and duck pond with walking trail! We're glad to know you were able to take advantage of so many of the amenities we offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bird in Hand
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lancaster
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lancaster (Amish Country), PA
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets

Been to Bird-In-Hand Family Inn? Share your experiences!