“The ambience of the Inn was very nice.”

Bird-In-Hand Family Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bird in Hand
newark,delaware
“The ambience of the Inn was very nice.”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I like the indoor pools and hot tub, but, on the negative side, the small stones around the pools, cut & hurt your feet. I think indoor/outdoor carpet would really help. I even heard children cry, because the stones hurt their little feet. The rooms are cozy and tastefully decorated. The problem I found was that the mattresses are too hard and I would toss and turn all night long and felt quite tired in the morning. I think pillow-top mattresses would be worth the investment, for the comfort of their guests.

Overall, though, my husband I go back every change we get. We love the Dutch Country.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grandmother64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
East Windsor, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We have been coming to Lancaster County for about 7 years now and this is by far the best place we stayed. Last year we stayed at one of their other establishments, the Amish Country Motel and were able to use the B.I.H. Family Inn amenities and decided back then that our next stay would be here and it was the right choice.
It is centrally located and you don't seem to be more than 10-15 minutes from some of the better spots in the area. The B.I.H. Farmer's Market is right next door and their delicious bakery is right across the street. Kitchen Kettle Village is 5-10 minutes down the road and Plain and Fancy is as well. The National Christmas Center is about 10 minutes away. Route 30 and all its craziness is about 15 minutes away if you miss the chain restaurants, etc. Dutch Wonderland is right there as well.
This Inn is nestled in some beautiful country and their staff is amazing. No request is ever denied and a smile is always present. These folks are also incredibly hard working and you would be lucky to find someone who works at this hotel not doing something.
You also cannot beat their 2 night package deals. We stayed for 5 days and booked two 2 night packages plus one day. We had vouchers for 4 breakfasts and 2 dinners at their smorgasbords and the food is outstanding. They also give you coupons and discounts for other businesses in the area as well as their bakery. It is well worth the money for sure.
I really only have 2 "complaints" if you want to call them that. We were there for Labor Day Weekend and it is usually a rambunctious crowd wherever you go. The indoor pool area was filled with rowdy kids, (understandable) but even more rowdy adults. The lifeguards really did not have any control over the crowd and it was hard to relax at all. One can say, relax in the spa but that is hard to do with 6 year olds cannonballing into the 102 degree water. Folks, 102 degree water is not for the young ones!!! My complaint is the lifeguards really should have monitored the indoor pool area better. Perhaps it is just the end of a long summer for them but we avoided the pool from Friday night through Sunday. We went back Monday evening and spent it peacefully with some senior citizen couples.
I also will back some of the folks who complained about the mold issues. It wasn't a real problem for us but we could see where they were cleaning the mold in the bathrooms. As the week went on and the weather became a little more humid we could see where it started to grow as well. This is an issue that the hotel needs to address in the pool building which is naturally humid because of the heated indoor pools and the spa. It is not a mark on the hotel because they really keep it clean and the staff is hard working. We we privileged enough to see the room next to us being cleaned on Tuesday as we were packing the car and I will say they take the rooms apart and really do a great job when you check out. Not sure if more dehumidifiers would do the trick but I can see where people would complain about it.
All in all, our plans are to keep going back to the Bird In Hand Family Inn and perhaps even hold our wedding there. There was so much to do for the 9 year old that you can even spend a day on the grounds between the small petting zoo; the insane fish and duck feeding frenzy at the pond; the mini golf course next door where you can get buy 1 get 1 free coupons for at the front desk; the walking trail; the basketball court; the tennis court; the Farmer's Market; the playground, etc., etc., etc. I look forward to spending many more stays at this wonderful establishment for sure and can only hope when the 9 year old grows up that she decides to bring her family as well.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Stayed at Bird in Hand Family Inn with my sister and my 5 year old grandson. We stayed in the outside building which I found extremely convenient being that I could park my car right outside the door. (It did smell a little musty, but not enough to bother us.) I also loved the fact that you could sit outside and see all the horse and buggys driving by all day long. We loved the mini-golf next door and also the pool. Also, the people were overly friendly to us. The restaurant and deal we got for breakfast and dinner were great! We have already booked for October at the Inn again. Cant wait to go back!

LI, NY
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Great service but the rooms in the pool building were gross! Moldy and musty smelling! So bad we checked out within 15 mins of arriving to our room. The dehumidifier in the hall should have given it away! So outdated and moldy they shouldn't put paying customers in them. We wanted the ambience but not if mildew came with it.

4 Thank KPNYtraveler
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We visited the inn for four nights in August with our three year old daughter. I must say we had a great time and were really happy with our choice to stay here. We stayed in the newer pool building and and here are some of the highlights:
The room: very clean and spacious with two queen beds, good a/c, did not notice any mold as previous reviewer, good housekeeping..we stayed in the newer pool building, but on the last day, we asked to see the less expensive rooms in the front building and while they were a bit older and smaller, they looked good too. There was also free wireless internet.
The location: Excellent and close to anything you would want to do our see. We didn't drive more than 5-10 minutes for anything and we went to Kitchen Kettle Village, the Old Candle Barn, Intercourse Pretzel Factory, Buggy Rides, various places to eat (Family Cupboard, Dienners, Miller's). We also saw that the inn was very close to the Rockvale outlets and Dutch Wonderland as well. Also, the inn was surrounded by farmland and had beautiful views from every angle.
Grounds and Pool: All clean and beautiful...as I stated earlier, surrounded by farmland, there was a little petting zoo with some goats and alpacas..25cent machines for food got a bit pricy, I recommend bringing some dog food...pretty much the same stuff, there was also a lovely pond with ducks and fish to feed...baby ducks and tons of fish..lots of fun, but also the 25 cent machines got to be a bot much so we bought a big bag of cheerios at a local farm supply. There was a small children's playground that was very nice. There was an outdoor pool, two indoor pools and a hot tub (indoor). All were clean and well maintained. There was a mini golf course, not owned by the hotel, but on the property. We didn't play, but it looked very nice and had an ice cream parlor attached to it that was open late.
Food: We ate dinner at the BIH Family Restaurant and didn't think it was too great. We thought that Family Cupboard Restaurant, Dienners and Miller's were much better, and FC and Dienners were so inexpensive also. BIH Restaurant had more typical buffet food, the kind you would find at any Old Country Buffet..other places in the area were smaller scale but homemade. Miller's has gotten some negative reviews lately, but we thought it was very good, but pricier than the others..it was around $20 per person with a coupon..however, the food was very good. There was a small and reasonably priced snack bar at the pool, ice cream, ices, smoothies, pretzels, cookies, etc..and you can charge to the room by quickly signing.

Overall, we really liked the place...very clean, great location, nice views..we would definitely return. My daughter had so much fun going in the pool, feeding the animals and going on the local buggy ride, that she didn't even want to leave the inn to go to Dutch Wonderland.

Catonsville, MD
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We have stayed at Bird-in-Hand too many times to count now and have always enjoyed ourselves. If you are looking for a very laid back, quiet getaway where the people are truly dedicated to creating a feeling of family loyalty, this is your place. Enjoying yourself and feeling contented with your stay is not just about business with the Smucker family, it is their way of life. There are so many wholesome things to do there like mini-golf, scooter rentals, swimming, game room, ice-cream socials (on designated nights), Amish farm tours, good home cooking, nearby beautiful parks and Sunday drives, outlet shopping, museums, amusement parks, fishing long walks, and petting zoos. I can't wait until we get to go again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
PA
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Stayed for two nights in the Family Inn - not the front part with the outdoor entrances - the one in the back with inside corridors. With all the places to stay in Lancaster, I would stay there again. The grounds are well kept, a lot to do right on the grounds, farmers market, shopping, and the restaurant were great. Kids will love it too - lots to do. Two bad things though, when we went it was very hot, high humidity, therefore, with that and being on the same level as the pool, our room was very, very damp. I saw some mold on the walls in the bathroom. I am very allergic to mold. If I'd have been staying more than two nights, I would have complained, however, everything else was so perfect I decided not to. We opened the windows to get the mold, damp smell out, and I kept the bathroom fan on constantly. Also, bought some sinus herbs from the Amish and kept the jar by the air condition and it took some of the smell away. They had a dehumidifier in the hallway, but could have used several more. It wouldn't hurt to update those rooms a little to get the mold off of the walls, ceiling, etc. Also, we got the two night package that included one nights dinner and two breakfasts for each. Sat. breakfast was fantastic,the baked french toast and baked oatmeal are to die for, but on Sundays the restaurant is only opened to guests and there isn't any staff working. We got there 1/2 hour before it ended and the food choices weren't like Saturday's at all. There was plenty, but it was well picked over - more like a deluxe contintental breakfast. Other than that, it was great. The cleaning staff, front desk staff, restaurant staff, and everyone else was very, very friendly! Keep up the good work. Oh, we have a time share and this place was almost as nice as our resort.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
AmishView Inn & Suites
AmishView Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Bird in Hand
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Bird-in-Hand Village Inn & Suites

Been to Bird-In-Hand Family Inn? Share your experiences!