“Hidden Gem”

Bird In Hand Bake Shop
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Bird in Hand
Cuisines: American
Description: Family-owned & operated since 1972.
Description: Family-owned & operated since 1972.
Reviewed 9 October 2018

We set out to find out who really had the best Shoofly Pie and based off of much taste testing, Bird in Hand Bakery certainly came to compete. While they do not offer a free sample (they sell samples) They were our chosen winner. (as far as stores are concerned, as the best was Ms. Lydia's from Verdant View Farms). Outside of their bakery, they have a pretzel shop and you must try the best pretzels around! We went back twice just to get them. Its off the beaten path, but the views and drive were well worth it! Loved the outside seating area and the country store with a little of everything.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

I would really struggle to find a bad thing to say about anyplace that makes homemade baked goods... especially im the center if Amish country. So I'm not even going to begin to try

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 14 September 2018

Everytime we go to Lancaster pa we go to the Bird in hand bakery.We get alot of goodies to take home for us and our family.You can't get the homemade goodness anywhere out of pa.It is delicious .they also have great pies

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 29 August 2018

I travel to the area at least one every other month to pick up amish products to sell back home, and I never knew this place existed! I was looking up something different for us to eat then the usual buffets, and this place popped up! I put it on the list of things to do, and boy its a great place! Its just a big house with a wrap around porch with all kinds of goodies to purchase maybe to hang in your yard, and when you go in you really don't know what to look at first! There are Jams of all kinds, candy, drinks,trinkets homemade ice cream,pies and cakes, even individual slices, cookies, and the list goes on and on. But the fun isn't over when you come out, because the pretzel truck that sits outside is a must stop as well. Everyone has tasted an auntie Annes pretzel in their local mall, and well they have competition!!! I got a cinnamon sugar pretzel and it was amazing!!!!!! They also have sour cream and onion and I believe a garlic and herb.WoW ! behind it is a bunch of goats and roosters and you can sit in the swining gazebos while you eat you treats like we did. It was a real hot day so it was nice to get some shade. There are bathrooms there to since busses do come in while people are on the amish tours.Oh and one more thing. I purchased apple dumplings which are big! Had them this morning and omg, its a whole apple inside the dumpling and the crust is great, the syrup and sugar is perfect, this I have to buy again!!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 14 August 2018

Years ago this was a great little bakery, but as time has gone on and more tour buses come there that has changed. The baked goods are not as good as they used to be and they have gotten expensive. half the shop is a gift shop and they also do serve ice cream. Should you decide to maybe have some ice cream there is some out side seating. They also have some goats you can buy food for to feed them. Hoping on next trip to find a good bakery out there.

Date of visit: August 2018