“Very Satisfied.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bloomsburg
Norwalk, CT
“Very Satisfied.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed here on a Friday night, early June 2013. Solo traveling MI to CT. I had driven 12 hrs that day with another 4 hrs to go to home. The weather forecast featured a tropic storm in NYC, so I called it a day.

I booked the room on the HIE app for an IPhone. Quick & easy! Almost scary easy.

I have stayed here 2 - 3 times before, years apart.

A bit confusing to get to, look for the Perkins - the hotel is behind Perkins & the Exon Station. It's much better that that sounds!

Big parking lot, with ample lighting.

Clean, large lobby / reception area with several chairs & a couple couches. USA Today on a table.

I was in room 200 - top of the stairs. The window is under an overhang, but there was plenty of light and fresh air. The elevator was just down the hall.

When I arrived there were 2bus loads of people checking in. But I was greeted quickly, and the check-in process was completed in less than 5 minutes from when I walked in.

My room was large, clean and very comfortable. Nice appointments & furnishings - small couch, work desk, another causal chair. Good large LG tv. Cable is good with several HD channels. The HD ESPN channels worked, the non ESPN don't (why have both?).

The is a clock radio / dock for and Iphone, Ipad or Itouch,

Good lighting with CFL blubs in the lamps and fixtures.

Air / heat was good, even and quiet.

There are many food options in walking distance.

I didn't try or see the pool. Breakfast begins at 6 AM - I was on the road 1/2 hr before then.

No complaints form me and I'll glad stop in again.

Room Tip: Safe area in seemed. A room facing the parking lot lets you see & check on your car. Room 200...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

The hotel is cleaner than most, but other factors make this place mediocre. Nasty front desk staff, poorly insulated walls so you can hear doors closing, people talking and even televisions-very annoying. No exhaust fan in bathroom and cheap, lumpy foam pillows. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Denosma
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomsburg, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Denosma,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your comments. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am very sorry about the inconvenience you experienced with the front desk and noise levels experienced. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pueblo West, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Very clean and comfortable. We stopped on our way to Maryland when we grew weary of driving. Nice place...nothing spectacular. We try to stay at Holiday Inn properties and this was what we expected. A good breakfast in the morning before we proceeded with our journey.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim N
Carbondale, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

Stayed here on my way to Massachusetts when I decided I didn't want to drive anymore for the night. Usually look for Marriott properties, but I have had some good experiences at Holiday Inn Express before. Room was very clean and comfortable and very quiet despite being on the ground floor and the hotel close to a travel plaza. I would be comfortable choosing this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank smckay090
Yorkville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on our way to NY. Overall clean, nice stay. We got in late and left early the next morning so did not get a chance to use amenities or surrounding places but there were gas and food choices nearby. Pretty easy on and off 80. We would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Slimsluvbeach
Deptford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

The hotel was really nice... rooms were clean... bathrooms were beautiful and very modern. We had a nice breakfast in the morning. My only complaint was that we couldn't get the internet in the room to work. It would go on for a few minutes, but wouldn't last.

My daughter enjoyed a swim in the pool... small but nice. A very relaxing, clean hotel. Staff was friendly and pleasant. Would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank manney91
Gainesville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

First the positives - friendly front desk staff, reasonably nice lobby and breakfast area, comfortable beds with linen and pillows of the typical HIEX stock. The comfort of a bed factors into at least half of the score on my reviews and here they score well for the type of property, say 8 out of 10.  But now onto the rest of the story.

I travel a lot, and have stayed at many Holiday Inn properties. The Bloomsburg Holiday Inn Express is what I would describe as a lower tier or budget property charging middle tier rates. Their slightly out of alignment pricing is likely a supply/demand issue as well as compensating for a much weaker occupancy rate during the winter months.

As the subject of my review implies we found some very significant odor issues. The bathrooms are dated with suspended ceilings, no exhaust fan to speak of, and since there's nowhere for shower steam to go the wallpaper is peeling in spots. Like too many Holiday Inn properties the bathroom has a strong mildew smell. My theory on this is the cloth/fabric shower curtains which are meant to be washed on a regular basis in reality are not, or the cleaning staff just aren't trained in preventing mildew odors. It really is odd running into this on such a regular basis, this hotel being by far the worst offender. The one semi-positive of the bathroom is their shower pressure, but again you don't want to stay long because of the smell.

And speaking of smells, this hotel is one of the last of a dying breed that allows smoking in some of their rooms.  While they limit this to the 3rd floor anyone knows that smoke filters everywhere in any type of building, thus why most hotels have gone 100% non-smoking. When we walked into our room on the 2nd floor we were hit with a very stale, odd and largely unpleasant odor. Nothing so bad that warranted finding another hotel (not a good plan no matter what based on this property listed as #2) but it was still not right.

Finally the wifi was very spotty, but again a common problem with many hotels.

All in all I can't recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Bloomsburg.  An update to their bathrooms, going 100% non-smoking, and finding a way to bring in fresh air into the rooms would help a lot.  For now it's a place to sleep and just barely that. For $150/night they should be offering much more, or simply charging much less.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mark O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomsburg
Comfort Suites Bloomsburg
BEST WESTERN Danville Inn
Budget Host Patriot Inn
Budget Host Patriot Inn
#5 of 7 in Bloomsburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bloomsburg? Share your experiences!