“Best of the best in PA home cooking”

Town Hall Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Blue Ball
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I almost hate to review this restaurant, because I wouldn't want it to be crowded next time I'm in town. But, they do such an amazing job, they deserve the raves. OUTSTANDING!

I ordered the roast beef and my friend ordered the chicken and corn pot pie. Everything is made from scratch and delicious. We both had "potato filling" as a side. It is one of the best things I have ever had in my life. It's as if mashed potatoes were crossed with stuffing (or "filling" as it's called in PA). The resulting food would be this heavenly dish of creamy, seasoned mashed potatoes, baked to a golden color. Unbelievable.

Although we did not order oyster stew, we saw others ordering it. Each one is prepared to order in the kitchen. Then the chef brings a saucepan to the table, and ladles out the oyster stew into a wide soup bowl. It looked divine.

We have eaten at many places in the area, and this is far and away the best. We will return every time we visit Lancaster Co. In fact, although we had lunch there today, we are going back for dinner tonight. This will be my last chance for potato filling for many months!

Sadly for us, they are closed on Sundays, like most places in the area. Also, be aware that they only take cash, so come prepared. The food is so good, you won't mind a trip to the ATM beforehand.

2  Thank DinerDivas D

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Our lunch was wondersful! We had the turkey croquets, mashed potatoes and cucumber salad. Everything tasted wonderful!

The service was excellent. The atmosphere is down home comfortable.

Dessert was Incredible!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank chestertraveler42
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Best place to eat in town. We stop in every week for breakfast. The is food is consistantly good, the price are reasonable. The waitresses are always kind and help with suggestions. This is where the locals go to eat so you know the food is good. The old style decor makes it feel comfortable and relaxed. Bring cash, they do not take credit cards.

3  Thank Maria G
Reviewed 7 July 2012

the waitress was so kind, reminded me of an aunt. the paneling and the linoleum was kitschy, yes, if you insist, but really just plain real. so many specials, with great sides (Lima beans! Pepper cabbage! Seriously homemade mashies!)

Oh, and peach cobbler!!!!!!!
Go here to meet locals and enjoy a different vibe in Amish country

1  Thank TheLancasterBandB
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My wife and I were looking for a late lunch after a class in PA Dutch Country. We used our Trip Advisor App (nice plug, eh?) and found that the best rated close restaurant was Town Hall Restaurant.

This place is certainly a step back in time. They even had glass ketchup bottles (I realize it makes no logical sense, but, in my mind, ketchup tastes better out of a glass bottle), old style decor and equipment and friendly and efficient wait staff.

My wife ordered a home style roast beef meal and really enjoyed it. I asked for suggestions and to my surprise the waitress said that they were known for their oysters. I checked my map and knew that we were nowhere near oysters, but I figured I would give it a shot and ordered some fried oysters. I was not disappointed. Honestly, they were probably the best fried oysters I ever had. To be fair, I have only had them one other time in Seattle in a restaurant also supposedly known for them and did not care for them at all. They were tender on the inside and light and crispy on the outside. They could have been seasoned a little more, but they were cooked perfectly. The one caveat I have is that they serve up such good oysters but used packets of cocktail sauce. Cocktail sauce is two ingredients - ketchup and horse radish (though I also add fresh squeezed lemon in mine, not a lot, just a little and it really gives it a nice fresh taste) - anyway, making it fresh tastes 100000 better than packaged and it really seemed almost an insult to use that with such good oysters. That is the only reason this restaurant did not get a 5. Normally, I would not be so nitpicky, but something so simple could have made something really good into something really unbelievable.

All in all, if you are in the area, it is definitely worth stopping in for a meal. You can go with all the tourists go and get food made for tourists or you can get the real thing made to order in this wonderful little restaurant.

2  Thank TheNJBen