“What a cheese steak”

Ranked #5 of 57 Restaurants in Blue Bell
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stopped by Pudge's last Saturday for a cheese steak. This was my first visit to their new digs which is 500 yards north of their old location on Rt 202. The menus are laminated to the table tops. Their offerings are more extensive than what I remember. What has't changed is the size of their steak sandwiches-HUGE. I ordered the 12 inch. They also have a 20 inch sandwich. Your sandwich comes with a fork which you will need to gather up the pieces of steak that fall out of your sandwich. Steaks run around $7. Family friendly. Monday or Tuesday night (I can't remember) kids eat for free.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Last week, my husband and I had a great cheesesteak sandwich at Pudge's. The restaurant is in a small shopping center, but easy to find. We found the restaurant clean and our waitress was so friendly and helpful. There's a wide array of selections. We ordered the large size and divided it as well as the fries as we had heard how large the portions were. Everyone was right. This was more than enough food. It was stacked with lots of meat and cheese. Must go to restaurant!!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I grew up in South Philly where you'll find the best steaks and hoagies, NOT Pat's or Geno's, IMO. I drive by Pudge's a few times a week. Once in awhile I'd pickup the awesome smell of the Steaks when driving by. One day I just had to go in.

This place does a nice job, the rolls and steak were great, very much like some of the places in South Philly. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'd go back (not to often though). Next time I'll try a Hoagie!

1  Thank Sharkbait19403
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I were in PA on vacation and I suggested that we make the trip to Pudge's on our way home, even though it was an hour out of our way. What a mistake!

A little background story: When I first met my husband, 12 years ago, he told me all about "THE BEST" sandwich ever. Everything was compared to a Pudge. One morning, we woke up to over 3 feet of snow. In order to motivate ourselves to shovel the whole driveway at a quick pace, he suggested that we make the 4.5 hour drive to Pudge's to reward ourselves. WE DID IT!!! (Yes, we're nuts, but that's just how good of a sandwich it was.) Thus, I had my first experience at Pudge's. The high-quality meat was nice and thin, lots of it, the bread was the right amount of chewy crust and soft inside so that it didn't turn right to mush as you ate each bite, but lasted until you were ready to swallow and the proportions were just right... It was worth every shovelful of that heavy snow and the long drive. Since then, we have made the trip several times and have had friends and family stop by to pick up sandwiches to be delivered to our house on their way to or past our house MANY times. We just can't get enough of this place. As a matter of fact, when I ask my husband what he wants for dinner, his first comment is usually, "Well, since Pudge's is out of the question, I guess I'd like...."

Fast forward to today: We ordered a basket of onion rings, a mushroom cheesesteak and a Pudge sandwich. The onion rings were very good; thick sliced, cooked right and the dipping sauce was good. Unfortunately though, the new owners of Pudge's have done away with all the special things that made Pudge's so good, so right. The bread was just average bakery roll bread. It melted away long before the meat was chewed. The meat was decent quality and cooked properly but there was barely any cheese on my mushroom cheesesteak sandwich. It was a big sandwich though... I'll give it that. My husband ordered "The Pudge" sandwich, but the waitress came back a few minutes later to tell him that they were out of roast beef. (HOW do you run out of roast beef on a Monday afternoon before 12 noon when at least 6 of the items on the menu require roast beef, nevermind NOT KNOW IT before you get started for the day? Mind blowing!!)

On the upside: Our waitress, who's name escapes me, was very friendly and energetic, attentive woman.

You might think I'm dramatic, but I've got to tell you that I was so sad to be the one to make the suggestion that we visit Pudge's as it meant the end of an era for my husband, who is a real foodie. I, on the other hand, am not emotionally attached to Pudge's, but will sorely miss this treat that we've always been able to count on as a solid stand-by. I hope that the family who originally owned this business would consider opening a new sandwich shop. If they do, I hope we're able to discover when and where it is as we know they have a winning formula!

1  Thank curlygirlmom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

For nearly 30 years Pudge's had been THE place I compaired every other hoagie to, and everything else fell short. Now they have become just another mediocre sub shop. The sandwiches are still big, but the unique flavors, super-thin sliced high quality meats, perfect proportions, and incredible bread are all gone. Now it's just a pile of below average deli meat thrown on a roll and tastes just like a sandwich anyone could make at home.

I started going to Pudge's in 1985, including several 200+ mile trips JUST to get a pudge. In at least 100 visits I had never once been disappointed until now. Because I have a young child, it has been several years since my last visit. Twice in the last few years I had hoagies delivered by friends traveling through the area, and they weren't right at all. I assumed they had gone to the wrong location, or it was just a fluke. I had heard the business had been sold, and things weren't the same, I just didn't want to believe it.

My wife and I finally went on Columbus day and I couldn't even get a pudge because they were out of roast beef. I ordered the "Ultimate Italian" instead. What I received made me want to cry. Again, just a bunch of cheap deli meat on a roll. My wife's cheesesteak wasn't quite as bad, but still very bland and dry compared to what they used to be.

It would be far better that Pudge's had changed names, or closed, than see what a pitiful facade this place is now, leeching off a hard-earned reputation from the past. "Pudge" is rolling in his grave.

1  Thank FATMAN C