“Nice atmosphere, good wine”

Boiling Springs Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We were a party of six and found the food here to be good, and enjoyed a good bottle of wine with dinner. The veal and grouper were satisfactory and others in our party enjoyed the liver and the sea bass. The restaurant has a historic feel and is surrounded by beautiful views of Children's Lake to the side and the boiling spring in the rear.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My daughter and I were staying with friends in nearby Carlisle, and invited them to choose a local restaurant for a thank-you dinner. This was a definite winner.
The tavern is beautiful: upscale without being at all stuffy. (Our party got a bit raucous a couple of times, and we didn't get any snooty looks.) The staff were all very personable. Servers were attentive without being annoying. The pace of the meal was just perfect.
All the beers served are from Pennsylvania microbreweries, which I thought was a great way to support local businesses. Our hosts drank Victory Brewery's Summer Love and gave that a thumbs-up. (I had a cocktail and my daughter had a glass of white wine.)
We started with the smoked gouda potato soup, which was fantastic. This was on the specials menu, so you may not be able to get it on your visit. But if they have it, don't pass it up.
The starter salads were nothing to write home about, but were beautifully presented, and all of the house-made dressings that our group had were tasty.
It was very difficult to choose from among all the yummy-sounding entrees. I had veal and polenta; others had veal florentine, salmon (also florentine, I think), and Mediterranean scallops. I tasted three of the four, and all were lovely.
We were pretty full after our meals, so we *only* got two desserts for the table. Crème brûlée and the lemon tart, both (surprise!) delicious. We also had a bottle of Korbel brut sparkling wine with dessert (because there are so many reasons to celebrate EVERY DAY), and a couple of servers made the uncorking especially fun.
Unfortunately it was dark out by the time we finished dinner, so we didn't get to walk down to see the "boiling spring" out back.
Parking was a little challenging; the dinner rush in Boiling Springs was a little earlier than what I'm used to. (We arrived about 7:20 for a 7:15 reservation.)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked a reservation there for our son's college graduation dinner celebration as well as my dad's 87th birthday. Carlisle, PA is a small town and there aren't a great many special occasion restaurants to choose from. We originally wanted to book at Piatto's, but not only was their system for taking reservations ridiculously difficult, when I did finally get through to make a reservation, the manager had a real attitude and was extremely rude. I hung up thinking that I was glad we couldn't get a reservation because seeing their true colors, I wouldn't want to ever go there to give them our business. Our son recommended the Boiling Springs Tavern which is just slightly out of town but close to the college farm. I had not heard of this restaurant previously. By now, it was only 1 month from graduation. Not only was the staff very friendly and accommodating over the phone, they were able to squeeze us in, got us a great table for our large party, and the food and service were outstanding. Our son is a vegetarian, and they were easily able to accommodate him, as well. We are going back up to Carlisle next weekend to visit our son who got a job in town, and we've already made our reservation at Boiling Springs Tavern - this time to celebrate my husband's and my birthday. I can't wait to go back and have another fantastic dining experience.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

4 of us popped into the tavern for a drink. The bar is very old English with heavy dark wood. We decided to stay for an early dinner before heading home. We were so glad we did. We ate in the bar as it was so cozy. Although the tables are small and set against walls for couples, the staff moved around a table and set it up for four. It was nice of them as they didn't have to do it. The food was excellent. I had french onion soup and two of us had the pasta carbonara and two had the two scallop dishes. Everything was great. The plating was nice, and the food was cooked perfectly. There is no doubt that we will be back again next time we are in the Boiling Springs area.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This place has been around since 1832, so one would figure they are doing something right. And they truly are! The seafood bisque was out of this world. Be sure to take up the server's suggestion of fresh cracked pepper and a dash of Sherry. The French onion soup was also excellent. For something different, I tried the smoked trout sandwich. The trout was delicious--and was served on rye bread with lettuce and tomato. I would certainly get that again, but want to try so many other things on the menu that it may be a while! The coconut shrimp were good, but in my mind were the weakest offering I sampled. I ate on the tavern side because the dining room was closed, but really enjoyed the atmosphere. Its a charming place in a charming little town. I certainly look forward to going back.