“Good food, fine acting.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse - CLOSED

Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good food, fine acting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

A perfect day: Have lunch or dinner at the Inn, walk down by the Yellow Breeches, watch some great fly fishing, take a walk back to the Playhouse for an entertaining show. Can't beat it, and the prices are reasonable, and the food is good.

Visited August 2012

Virginia
“Asleep in the Kitchen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Classic case of a local institution with oodles of scenic south central PA charm and welcoming service, but food tasting older than the 19th century decor. Recommended only for a drink at the bar and the plentiful free hors d'ouevres, including very tasty hard pretzels. Otherwise, save your money fro the Boiling Springs Tavern up the road.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Florida
“great place to stay if you don't eat there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Food was bad even for a buffet. It was incude as part of our package. We won;t go back

Visited June 2012
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, United States
“Good buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The buffets prior to the plays are tasty and have a nice selection

PA
“Didn't meet my expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Was fairly disappointed with the Valentine's Dinner. Paid $34.95 for two and we had Filet Mignon (very petite piece) and Stuffed Shrimp (was 2 shrimps together with crab meat in the middle-was good) with several choices for dessert. My Fliet Mignon was grizzly. My husband's was over done. The dessert looked delicious........but you can tell they were frozen because they were hard, and not good at all. I don't knock frozen desserts as long as they are good. I love pepperidge farms frozen cakes. They are very moist and delicious. I'm not sure if they would have taken them out earlier, they would have been moist or not. For an additional $6.00 you could get the soup and salad. Wasn't impressed with it at all. They only offered a tomatoe soup. For Valentine's Day I would have thought they could have offered crab bisque or something else. Another disappoint was how long we waited for our meal. We were like the 3rd couple in there, and the place wasn't full. But we waited over 40 mins to get our food.

The restaurant is in the basement, so if you are not good with steps, get dropped off at the side of the building. Was very cold in the basement. They did turn the heat up, because they too were cold.

The atmosphere was very outdated. Looks like they have the orignal carpet and wallpaper. The carpet in the one room was rolled up in different spots. I would be afraid to bring a person with a walker, in fear of them falling. I have heard when they have the shows and offer the buffet, it's better than the regular meals. So, I plan to go to one of them before making my final decision.

• Visited February 2012