“A Disappointing Experience”

Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We went to this restaurant with friends before attending a play. It was a buffet style meal, and I am sorry to say it was a very disappointing experience. There were a number of the main items in low supply or missing from the buffet. We went through the line for appetizers and salad. They only had a small amount of Caesar salad left and did not bother to replenish it. They were out of the oysters on the half shell and that was it.

When we came back for the main course, they no longer had any prime rib (roast beef). When we asked the server if there would more beef later, he said there might be, but it might not be before the play started. Basically, he was very crass. Well, when we did go back for dessert, they did have some roast beef, so three of us tried it. I am not sure where they had found it, but it was dry and cold. Evidently, they had taken it out of the refrigerator from the week before, but had not taken the time to warm it. It would have been great had I wanted to resole my shoes.

I am normally not a buffet type of diner, however, with the amount of people attending the play, I can see the reason to do this. Unfortunately, the planning for this fell very short of expectations. I will not begin to expound on the service from the bar, or the lack of training on how to remove a cork from a bottle of wine.

1  Thank DickBobG
There are newer reviews for Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stay at Allenberry a couple of times a year. We really like the hotel/restaurant overall atmosphere and proximity to Yellow Breeches Creek, where I enjoy trying to fool trout with dry flies. Have never been to a show and never met a buffet I liked. Also, have never had a bad meal off the menu at Allenberry. On a recent visit we ate at the bar. We didn't have to; but the bar is conducive to conversation within the party, with others around, and the bar tenders. My daughter's boyfriend (a bit of an epicurean) had the NY strip ($26); my daughter the salmon. Both raved. My wife and I had sandwiches ($9.95) - both were huge and superb. Charles, the GM/bar tender and Stephanie, bar tender, provide excellent service, friendliness and absolute professionalism. The bar always has complimentary large honey and onion pretzels, cheese/cracker tray, and often a cold cut/cheese tray. Kind of old school; very well done.
If you're looking for the opportunity to slow things done a bit, visit Allenberry, spend a night or two and get to know Charles, Stephanie and a lot of other friendly people in an absolutely beautiful streamside location with huge trees, limestone buildings, tennis courts, pool, and excellent trout fishing.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

We visited 6/4 and ended-up with the lunch buffet. It was adequate and some offerings were interesting and good. This buffet offered corned beef and turkey at the slicing station. Boneless pork, chicken, breaded white fish (avoid at all costs), a lasagna/meatball concoction (tasteless), mashed potatoes, vegetable medley were among the other offerings. Desserts were sparse but the cherry pie and the chocolate pie were very good. Allenberry is noted for its sticky buns and they are delicious (my wife is an authority on stickey buns!). The buffet was $22.95, decidedly overpriced (probably $16 would be more appropriate).

After lunch we walked around the property. It is an impressive setting.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

We've been to Allenberry several times for shows - they are always good. A few times, including our recent company Christmas party, we've had their buffet service. Selections are ok. The carved tenderloin and ham selections were very good. The gray/orangey things were suppose to be yams (probably from a can) but I wasn't going to try them to find out. The baked corn/corn pudding was pretty good. The one chicken dish wasn't too appealing - the chicken was pale and I wasn't sure what the actual dish was suppose to be. The atmosphere in the dining area we were in was nice and the wait staff were very friendly.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

This review is for the buffet, not the theater. The buffet has very limited selections and all of the food that is supposed to be hot is luke warm at best and most of it is cold. My wife and I go to the Christmas show each year and you must purchase the buffet along with the show. You have no choice to purchase only the show ticket. The shows are excellent, but the buffet is 'HORRIBLE'. In my opinion, they need to be more considerate and allow you to buy the show ticket only and not force people to subject themselves to what I consider the worst buffet I've ever eaten.

1  Thank jed25