“Quiet, serene, can't beat the price”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bolivar
Antiochian Village Conference and Retreat Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bolivar
Reviewed 26 March 2009

This was not my first trip to the Village conference center. To be fair, I should tell you that I actually held my wedding here, as we were married at St. Thekla outdoor chapel and I worked at the adjoining Antiochian Village camp several years prior to that. The center provides clean rooms, outstanding food (be sure to seek out Tim, the chef and dining/catering director--his food is out of this world!) and a quiet, slow pace.
The previous reviewer somehow missed the HUGE AV camp arch that reads "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and all of the literature available about the camp/the Christian Orthodoxy that is prominently displayed at the center. In short, the Antiochian Village is a summer camp for Orthodox Christian children and the conference center is heavily used for weddings, church functions/meetings and conferences. The purpose of the center is to provide a quiet, peaceful setting that promotes prayer, reflection and fellowship. Sure, there are no TVs in the rooms. This is done to help us get away from the pitfalls of life in the modern age...and gives us more time to pray and socialize with others staying at the center. While there isn't much to do in the immediate area as far as entertainment, there is plenty to do on the nature trails and quiet antique shops abound in nearby Ligonier. Also, be sure to stop by the ice cream parlor on the square for a terrific treat. :-)

Really? If you can do without a TV for a night or two and want a clean room in a hotel sitting in the valley of a lovely mountain with picturesque views and plenty of opportunity to get back to nature, this is your place. ...and you cannot beat the price!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank infamousmare

Reviewed 24 March 2008

More than likely, you have a good reason to stay here. Probably a conference. Or some sort of church-sponsored event.

I stayed here for a conference at which I was presenting. This wouldn't be my first choice if I was paying for myself, but as it was free, I'm not going to turn it down.

I still don't know what an Antiochian Village is exactly, but it's a church camp kind of place. That said, the rooms are very much like a hotel. An old hotel where TV's are banned so that you "socialize", but a hotel nonetheless.

So. No TV. They _did_ have wireless internet service, though it was really slow and kicked out a lot. Thankfully, I brought a DVD to watch on my laptop. It's close enough to Ligonier, which is a cute town, but there's really not too awful much to do in the area.

Since I got my room comp'ed, I don't know how much the rooms are, but if the rate quoted here on is right ($39), then that's a fair price if you really need a place to stay in the area and can entertain yourself pretty good.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank phyrn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolivar
Hampton Inn & Suites Blairsville at Chestnut Ridge
18 mi away
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills
No photo provided

Been to Antiochian Village Conference and Retreat Center? Share your experiences!