“Prepare to relax and take in the beautiful woods”

The Lodge at Glendorn
pittsburgh
“Prepare to relax and take in the beautiful woods”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We loved the beautiful, well-maintained grounds, the attentive, but not intrusive service, and the plushy robes, bedding and towels. This is the right mix of nature and luxury.
Stayed in the Hideout, which is the most secluded and rustic of the cabins. We liked it, but it may not be for everyone and requires a drive to the Main House. Loved the fireplace (that we used everyday) plus the little shooting gallery in the back of the property. We brought wine and some snacks and it was helpful to have all of the necessary amenities already right in the room- glasses, wine cork, fridge.
Meals were simply outstanding, dinners are multi-coursed with an excellent wine menu.
A massage by Donnia is not to be missed. We really enjoyed taking a guided lesson and fly fishing in multiple lakes around the property- even ate our trout, prepared by the chef!
It is an expensive retreat, but if you let yourself, you won't miss being connected to the outside world for a few days.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank tartantravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Valley City, Ohio
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I visited the Glendorn for our anniversary. We were not impressed because there were few amenitites and was charged a $ amount for each activity we did. What I didn't like is the cost of the activites are not stated nor does Glendorn imply there is an additional cost until its time to pay the bill at checkout. You are greeted by name which makes you feel special, and upon departure we were given a beautiful brown bag, only to open to find a bottle of water and a note(luxury understated). Our rooms were clean,breakfast was delicious and I woud return but not for $750 a night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alimcraig
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I visited the property for the first time last Labor Day weekend. We arrived on Sunday and left on Tuesday. The property is incredible and truly should not be missed. We stayed in The Big House. As a surprise to us, the staff updated our king bedroom to a suite. The atmosphere of the home was warm and inviting and the food was wonderful. I enjoyed looking at Dorn family photo albums, walking the grounds, and relaxing on the front porch. Two negatives that we experienced were that the staff seemed disinterested when we wanted to go on excursions or had questions and some of the spaces such as the play house sat dirty for the two days we were there. The Lodge was very very busy that weekend. There were many families there and I think they were at full capacity. My husband and I will return to Glendorn. We have decided that the staff must have been exhausted and perhaps, due to the number of people, could not keep up. We happened to arrive on the day that most of the famlies were leaving or soon thereafter. The home, grounds, and cabins truly should be experienced by family and friends. I am hoping our next trip will be rated at a 4-5.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole W
Jamesville, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The Glendorn is the perfect combination of relaxation and the outdoors. We stayed in "The Hideout" which is slightly removed from the main lodge but wonderful for its privacy, rustic ambiance and great outdoor fireplace. Just a couple of minutes away in the main lodge we enjoyed a spectacular dinner that should not be missed. Breakfast was excellent and started the day off great. The staff was helpful, informative and always there when you needed anything. We hiked one day and took the recommendation to take a packed lunch which was thoroughly enjoyed. It was our first visit but definitely not our last!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Eastlake, Ohio
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This was our third visit and this place never disappoints! We where set to stay in the Balcony suite, but it is getting renovated into a spa so the amazing staff put us in the Dorn Suite. We decided to go for the 4 course tasting menu for dinner and the food was spectacular! Breakfast was just as good! We walked the 4.5 mile grouse rd loop and saw deer as well as fresh tracks from coyote, squirrel, fox & raccoon. It usually takes me a few days to wind down from a none stop work schedule, but I couldn't even remember what work was from the minute we checked in. Super relaxing, so quiet and always the soothing sounds of water running in the creeks that criss cross the property. The staff here could not be nicer and always seemed out of site but popped out of now where to help when we needed it. We just love the rustic nature of this amazing lodge.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill R
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We invited my parents to the Lodge, but it turned out that they treated us when it came down to the mounting costs. Because of the cost for one night at $1800 (for four guests, including dinner), minor disappointments became huge ones. My greatest disappointment was the constant smell of natural gas that permeated the Hutch cabin, where we stayed. It was inescapable. I understand that the structures are older and nostalgic, but I didn't expect the odor to influence my mood. It did. The odor embarrassed me because I invited my parents to stay at the Lodge. We tried to light fires in the three fireplaces in our cabin to "mask" the odor, but we couldn't find the plug where the key is suppose to be inserted in one fireplace. No problem, right? Wrong. Nobody on staff knew how to light the fire. Let me say that the staff will go above and beyond to pamper you, but it isn't helpful when they can't figure out how to help you. The staff brought us the ingredients for smores later in the evening, but forgot to bring the skewers. We tried to call for skewers, but the phone just rang endlessly. Finally, the fridge in the cabin comes stocked with soda, which is a nice touch. However, our sodas had expiration dates well past six months earlier. Some people believe that soda does not expire, yet it bothered me due to the pride that Glendorn has in the place and the nightly rates based on that pride. The highlight of the trip was the gorgeous environment in the Lodge. My parents loved the place, and they remarked multiple times that the ambiance in the dining room provided the nicest meal that they ever had. We didn't spend too much time on outdoor activities since it was raining, but we did participate in the skeet and trap shooting, which was fun. I would nevertheless recommend the Lodge for the peace and relaxation if cost doesn't weigh on your ability to measure a place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank mbseuf
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Glendorn is a fascinating and beautiful place. Whether or not it’s a great hotel is another question. As a member of the illustrious Relais et Chateaux organization, a high level of service and amenities is expected and generally met. The sense of arrival, passing through a locked gate on a remote country road and proceeding up an endless driveway, is quite thrilling. Then, it’s down to earth, as you go into an Orvis store to check in, and the slight woman at the counter asks if you need help with your bags.
The main lodge building has four guest rooms, including two sprawling suites and two rather small, ordinary rooms. The rest of the accommodations are spread among a lodges and cabins surrounding the Big House. I made a gamble, choosing one of the smaller rooms, guessing that it would be a very slow night and we would be upgraded to a suite, as is the custom at most Relais et Chateaux properties.
No upgrade was offered so we settled into our cozy room. I loved the vintage bathroom with yellow ceramic tiles and retro fixtures. The water pressure was so minimal however that I couldn’t wash my hair, and internet was only available in the public rooms downstairs. The real problem with the room though was inadequate lighting. There was no light on the desk and the bedside lamps were not adequate for reading.
We enjoyed our dinner very much. It was a fixed, four course menu. We had been asked about dietary issues prior to our arrival. There was a nice selection of wines as well. Only one other couple was also dined that night, and the two suites in the Big House remained empty. It was great that the doors were open and we could explore a bit. The suites and a bunk room for children were just like they were when this was the Dorn family’s personal camp. It’s a delightful bit of domestic history.
Glendorn is a fascinating and unique place. It’s a tragedy it had to leave the Dorn family but thankfully the current owner appears committed to maintaining it as a fine inn , open to all. Whether it’s up to the Relais et Chateaux standard Is, however, questionable

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Big House when it's cold outside.