“Snake and rodent infested hillbilly hell!”

and 1 more site!
The Lodge at Glendorn
Barre, Vermont
“Snake and rodent infested hillbilly hell!”
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Our company had a retreat many years ago at Glendorn. Since we are retired now some friends and I were passing though the area and we decided that we'd give Glendorn another visit. We booked reservations and counted down the days until our roadtrip. Little did I know I would be counting down the days til I left!

First off they had many many changes in management. I met a very sweet housekeeping woman who spilled the beans. I really missed the sophisticated couple that ran the place. The very next thing I noticed was the food changed drastically. I was used to eating wild game type dishes stuff you can't find anywhere. If I wanted to have a European meal I'd travel to Europe where the food is 1,000 times better!

I know they brag about their diamond ratings but when I stayed there they were a five diamond and they were awesome. I'm sure maintaining that after someone's already done the hard work for you is pretty easy. I literally was surprised that this place was still a Relais & Châteaux property. I've had better cookies from my granddaughter's easy bake oven than at that place!

This place is infested with snakes. We stayed at the Guesthouse. When my oldest son went to open the screen door after coming back from an excursion a snake fell down on to the ground from on top of the door mold and then slithered away. Another time my husband noticed the housekeepers making noise downstairs. Come to find they had caught a snake on a sticky trap and it had died. When asked the housekeeper told us that she's found on under the bed in our room Fuller Brook before and tiny ones in the shower. Then she laughed and said it was harmless, but one time she grabbed one thinking it was a hair band... Just wonderful!

My son's in laws also had terrible luck at the Roost which had a mouse problem. The house ate the cookies that were left out and then decided to jump into bed with someone. Maybe if we could get that mouse and our snake together...we'd have a great time.

Don't listen to the close to skiing and shopping. The shopping is a Wal-Mart there is no other store. The town surrounding Glendorn is a total dump that smalls like oil. Skiing is a few hours away so are most of the huge lakes where they take you on boats.

The one refreshing person was Damon. He was there many many years ago and he was as good now as he was back then. He was the most consistent. My stay at Glendorn before was super secret. We never saw the employees hanging out around the property at their car in casual clothing, we never saw the housekeepers even when it was their shift, the place has really gone downhill. From the employees (except Damon), the service, the food, management, and even the decor stunk!

The cabin I enjoyed staying in was where my mother and father stayed...it looked very different...like Wednesday from the Addams family decorated it...it was awful. I don't know what happened, but I will forget this place ever existed. the landscape was beautiful but I can go just about anywhere else and have all the things I expect from paying that kind of money and then some. Oh and good luck getting any kind of cellphone or WiFi signal!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jetsetter098

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 21 September 2009

First, the staff was very nice and helpful and we truly appreciated the service from Natalia. She is definitely an asset to your location and I hope you compensate her well. She is extremely friendly & could not have been more of a joy to have attending to us throughout the stay.

In addition, the meals, and especially dinner, were simply awesome. Chef Joe & team put on an excellent show for dinner that was exciting, beautifully plated, and above all, extremely tasty…I can’t say I left much on my plate each course. The four (4) diamonds your restaurant has achieved is well deserved. We’ll recommend the restaurant to anyone within earshot & then some - Fabulous, just fabulous.

Some feedback though on some other items of our stay: First, as a high end hospitality location, I would think that you would have a better soft drink selection. Not having Coke or Diet Coke and Evian water was weird not to see. Ultimately, Natalia came thru w/ a stock of Diet Coke – thank goodness for that! Second, at check in, we were well received, got a very nice tour of the facility but no one was around to carry our bags to our room. For half the price at the Four Seasons or Nemacolin, I’ve had 3 bellmen falling all over me to take my bags to my room.

The Dorn Suite is a beautiful room, well appointed, w/o any writing instruments anywhere to be found. I did get a pen during my checkout. Some additional Suite issues included the fan in the bedroom does not adjust properly & was noisy. We finally gave up on it in the middle of the night since it was such a pain. I also found that there is a tremendous amount of rust on the ceiling fan in the shower and that for having a flat screen TV in the room seems to be a waste since there was no reception for it. For the coffee maker, there was only decaf coffee provided, but a very nice selection of teas – very nice. We also never had any Splenda resupplied for the coffee. This would have been helpful; I ended up getting into the kitchen early Sunday morning and found some.

The last couple issues in regards to the room – we did not have any tissues until sometime Sunday, not sure when they showed up. And the air conditioning unit kept the living room cool, but did not help in the bedroom – thus our need for the crazy fan mentioned above. For the price you charge for such a large & spacious room, I would think that you would get these things worked out.

In regards to the property, it’s very beautiful and has a lot of character. We were very concerned about the conditions of the tennis courts. We went to hit some balls. The clay was not maintained and there were numerous weeds inside and outside that made it look unsightly. The weeds on the backside of the courts made it difficult to find a misplayed ball since there is no door on the back right. In addition, the tennis racket selection was beat up and in poor condition as were the balls available to use. The backboard for hitting balls against needs to be scrapped & re-painted. I would use outdoor Rainstain to protect the wood.

We also used the bikes for a ride around. There was no one around to adjust the bikes to lower the seat for my wife. I went thru ½ of the bikes to find one that worked properly. 1 had flat tires, one had a broken front break, one had the front wheel lock opened (thus the tire could fall off while riding), and the one I finally used had issues w/ the gears after we had gotten down the road. For such nice equipment it is not maintained or taken care of. Someone can easily get hurt on the bikes if they are not maintained properly. In fact, a young boy about 10 years old almost rammed into a Rolls Royce in the parking lot on Sunday morning – I’m sure you wouldn’t have wanted that repair bill!! As we rode down to Bondieu Lake, we came upon a mess at the pavilion and picnic table. I’m thinking more of the issue is your other guests, but there were empty water bottles left on the ground & inside the building as well as some dirty plates of food. When my wife went to use the restroom, it was disgusting. She did alert one of the ladies back at the lodge about the conditions.

One of the reasons we decided to try your location was the spa designation. We have been to many spas both far and wide, and we’ve enjoyed some exceptional service at many of them. So you probably know already, we were very underwhelmed by your “spa” and its facilities and the actual services. First, to charge the prices you did is unacceptable. If you were at Aviara or a Bedford Springs or even the Homestead (all of which we have used) then I would expect the prices, however, there is no “spa” to speak of. It is starting to take some shape in the Loft, however, there is no one to greet you, to point out what can be done or show you around and explain where you should change. No cold or hot water was available to drink (as you should know, massages can be very dehydrating & thus replenishment is a necessity) – we ended up finding some bottled Dasani in the fridge. There are tea packets, but no hot water, or even a means to boil some. The treatment room was very cold and the massages were OK. Blair, the substitute masseuse, did a nice job and was very nice. The second woman did not introduce herself to me so I did not catch her name, but her Hot Stone massage was not worth the money paid. The stones were luke warm to start. We would suggest that you do not advertise a spa until it is 100% operational & stick to in room treatments instead.

Lastly, we’d like to provide some suggestions on other things you might consider, especially for kids. Between my brother & me we have five (5) boys and we take many trips w/ them around the globe – we head to Hawaii at the end of the month w/ the whole gang. As I mentioned, our kids have stayed at all of the locations mentioned above as well at others. Keeping them active and busy is important.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tnttravelers
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 8 July 2009

A little difficult to get to, but worth it when you arrive. Great food in the Big House and better service. I traveled to Glendorn with my kids (from Pittsburgh) and other family traveled from Oklahoma and Collorado. We rented a five bedroom cabin that accomodated us nicely. Our family got to try some things we had not done before. A fly fishing lesson was fun, but we became addicted to trap and skeet shooting. Several in our group had never picked up a shotgun before. The instruction was excellent.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lynwoodfarms
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My wife and I spent a long weekend at Glendorn cross country skiing, hiking, picknicking at the hideway (don't miss it -- they'll pack a wonderful lunch) and skeet shooting. Fabulous food, attentive service, cozy fireplaces everywhere. The view of the snow in the morning out the window of our lovely room and the anticipation of a hearty breakfast by the fire got us up early and the staff helped us choose a new adventure each day. It was like we were suddenly members of the Dorn family. It's out of the way and quiet, but that's the point isn't it? We plan to go back in the Fall to try fly fishing. Worth a special trip!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adade13
Johnstown, PA
Reviewed 3 July 2009

This was our third stay at Glendorn. It is not easy to get there, but the isolation is one of its charms. All of the lodging facitlies are charming and well maintained. The food has always been wonderful each time we have visited (deserving of their listing in Relais & Chateaux). The staff has always been friendly and accomodating. The cross-country skiing was the recreational highlight of this visit. It is just a memorable place, clearly one of the favorite high-end boutique lodgings that we have ever visited. Not surprisingly, the price is high, but then you get what you pay for. I would rate it as a reasonable value compared to other high-end lodgings.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HiddenGem2010
knoxville
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Thank you for a wonderful visit. The entire staff could not have been more gracious. I want to thank Damon Newpher especially for the patient and helpful manner in which he guided me on our float of the Allegheny. I have never had a guide work so hard to insure that I learned new things and caught fish. I was struggling that day with my casting but Damon was very patient and showed me some things that I have since used.

I especially enjoyed learning more about the mayflies and caddis. The evening hatch of Green Drakes were unbelievable! Thanks Damon for being so generous with your knowledge and experience.

I hope to see you all soon. Take care.

Regards,
Gary W. Wright

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank KnoxvilleGary
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at Glendorn about 4 or 5 times in the last 8 years and the past visit will be the last. The biggest complaint is the meals - they were about 2 hours long and after a full day of activities, we were ready for bed midway through the dinner. Evidently a lot of people do the food and wine pairing, but if you're not interested in drinking, you still have to wait for everyone to finish their course. The meals used to be served candlelight in the main room, now they are served in the back room which doesn't have the charm. We used to look forward to the cocktail hour with the manager hosting, now it's just an impersonal event. The entire weekend seemed to be run by the waitress, who wore many hats and seemed to be managing the property - we never saw anyone in charge.
We even had a long long lunch which we left before completing because my husband had a fishing trip scheduled. Years ago it was adults only, now there are kids allowed which totally disrupts the ambience. I was prepared for a romantic weekend and I got whining, screaming kids. Very disappointed - they ruined a good thing!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Foodfan00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford
Best Western Plus Bradford Inn
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
Inn at Holiday Valley
Inn at Holiday Valley
#2 of 5 in Ellicottville

Been to The Lodge at Glendorn? Share your experiences!