“Glendorn, a rustic heaven in the moutains!”

and 1 more site!
The Lodge at Glendorn
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
“Glendorn, a rustic heaven in the moutains!”
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Repeat guest since 2002! New ownership has embaced the heritage of the property! Service staff superb! Activities with Damon, Brian and Shane are spectacular, including fishing, shooting and hiking. Dining is first rate, chef Joe worthy of rating! After dinner bonfires at either Skipper or Bondeiu lake are a wonderful way to end a day of outdoor activities! No other way to spend the 4th of July than dinner at Bondeiu Lake, ending with fireworks!
New owner is addressing aging concerns of a truly enchanted property maintaing old world charms with new world technology!
I have come to love this piece of heaven!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 May 2010

This was my first stay at Glendorn and I felt it was worthwhile to post a review on my stay. My girlfriend and I made the long weekend trip in April 2010, so this write-up comes shortly after our stay.

I have to first say, I was blown away by this resort. When we first pulled up to the gate, we were greeted by a friendly staff member so we could enter into the complex. I would estimate it was about a half a mile (maybe more) to get back to the main lodge to check in. The main drive in was gorgeous. We saw beautiful streams, lakes, but unfortunately no black bears!

Our stay was arranged to be in the “Guesthouse” which overlooked a pond. It was a relaxing ambiance with fresh baked cookies and chocolate bars awaiting us. The cabin also had a fireplace ready to be lit if we wanted to hang out indoors. The décor was unexpected and elegant. I especially like how they embraced the history of the resort by keeping small details like older stoves, refrigerators, and furniture. Don’t get me wrong, while these items were older, they made the cabin feel warm and welcoming.

The bedroom had a king sized bed that I found to be extremely comfortable. Since we came in towards the evening, the entire cabin had lights on so it was ready for us to arrive. It was nice since you are hidden in the woods!

According to my girlfriend, the shampoo was awesome. While we have been to several resorts, she made it known to me this was a “great” product.

The following morning, we decided to go to the main lodge for breakfast. This was a GREAT idea. We both had an omelet filled with smoked salmon, goat cheese, and caramelized onions. Delicious! Not to mention we also tried some interesting sausage we wouldn’t have gotten elsewhere (venison and duck, both very good!).

I decided to give trap and skeet a try since it had been some time since I had done it. The shotguns provided were an Italian company, I believe Caesar Guerini (I had to look that up). I have to say, Brian, my guide, was very knowledgeable and helpful. I am in no way a good shot, but with some tips from him, I was able to do better than expected!

That evening, my girlfriend and I had dinner in the lodge. We decided on the 5 course menu. This meal will go down as my favorite meal of all time (until I go back!). Our first course was lobster, followed by monkfish, veal, beef short rib/ribeye, and finally a lemon custard dessert. We were impressed by the impeccable service and comfort of being in front of the enormous fireplace. What further impressed me; the general manager personally came around to ensure our stay was exceeding our expectations.

The following morning, I decided to give fly fishing a shot. I have been an avid fisherman typically going for Walleye, Perch, and bass, so this was something I definitely wanted to try. I was teamed up with Shane (another guide) and he did great as a teacher. He was patient and got excited when I finally caught one. My highlight was landing a 5 pound brown trout at my first attempt at fly fishing!

My only complaint for the weekend would have been the weather. We battled rain the entire weekend but still were able to make the best of it.

Overall, the weekend was memorable. The staff showed me why Glendorn is an excellent resort to visit. The room, food, and ambiance was first class and I would recommend this place to friends and family. My girlfriend and I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The Lodge at Glendorn was everything I immagined and more! I am a very critical reviewer in almost all aspects, and I left after an amazing weekend feeling this resort deserves a great review. The service was top notch - what you hope for at a resort, but don't always get.

While dining at The Lodge at Glendorn, the food, atmosphere, and service was equally comparable to any fine dining I have ever experienced. Not to be a snob - but I find myself to be extremely critical after being wait-staff and the head bartender in Wolfgang Puck's fine dining restaurant "the source" in Washington, DC. I know what should be considered a good "fine dining experience", and this place has it with a touch surrealism that cannot be found anywhere in the city.

The overall atmosphere is what really makes it speical - you have a very quite and romantic atmosphere with the lodge fire burning in the background. It continually reminds you of where you are while dining on a six-course meal with carefully selected wine pairing. Again, if for nothing more than the food, Glendorn is very special fine dining experience because the food only compliments the service and atmosphere.

The main lodge design is very traditional, and has the feel of the "old money" decor. The all wood tables and romantic candle lighting, set the mood one would try to immagine at a resort like Glendorn. Enchanted "if you will".

As an avid outdoorsman I was not sure what to expect from the the fishing, horseback riding, and trap / skeet range. My experience was quite surprising from the facilities, equipment, and guided staff. I caught severl trout over 3 lbs., and the shooting range has a selection of trap and skeet guns that most only see at gun shows showcased in glass cases.

I will not only be coming back, but I plan to send my most highly valued clients here to thank them for their business.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I was quite surprised about the most recent comments on Glendorn. My wife and I just recently stayed in the Main Lodge under the new ownership and was most pleased with the changes that are in process. The new TV's with Direct TV access was nice to get the news, even though I really do not need the TV, my wife really enjoyed it while I fished. As always the food is exceptional. It was brought to our attention of all the new renovations that are in process plus the excitement of horseback riding being added to the property. The most noteworthy change from my past stays was that we were greeted by the General Manager personally and welcomed back to Glendorn. He was also in the Main Lodge throughout the evening making sure our stay was going well. Not only was the regular staff exceptional but the newly added staff was just as great and they all made us feel like we never left. I must note on the comment made about the spa, even though my wife's spa was in room, we were made aware during check in that they are in process of building a new spa.
We not only enjoyed ourselves once more, we are excited about seeing what Glendorn has to offer next time we stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Barre, Vermont
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Our company had a retreat many years ago at Glendorn. Since we are retired now some friends and I were passing though the area and we decided that we'd give Glendorn another visit. We booked reservations and counted down the days until our roadtrip. Little did I know I would be counting down the days til I left!

First off they had many many changes in management. I met a very sweet housekeeping woman who spilled the beans. I really missed the sophisticated couple that ran the place. The very next thing I noticed was the food changed drastically. I was used to eating wild game type dishes stuff you can't find anywhere. If I wanted to have a European meal I'd travel to Europe where the food is 1,000 times better!

I know they brag about their diamond ratings but when I stayed there they were a five diamond and they were awesome. I'm sure maintaining that after someone's already done the hard work for you is pretty easy. I literally was surprised that this place was still a Relais & Châteaux property. I've had better cookies from my granddaughter's easy bake oven than at that place!

This place is infested with snakes. We stayed at the Guesthouse. When my oldest son went to open the screen door after coming back from an excursion a snake fell down on to the ground from on top of the door mold and then slithered away. Another time my husband noticed the housekeepers making noise downstairs. Come to find they had caught a snake on a sticky trap and it had died. When asked the housekeeper told us that she's found on under the bed in our room Fuller Brook before and tiny ones in the shower. Then she laughed and said it was harmless, but one time she grabbed one thinking it was a hair band... Just wonderful!

My son's in laws also had terrible luck at the Roost which had a mouse problem. The house ate the cookies that were left out and then decided to jump into bed with someone. Maybe if we could get that mouse and our snake together...we'd have a great time.

Don't listen to the close to skiing and shopping. The shopping is a Wal-Mart there is no other store. The town surrounding Glendorn is a total dump that smalls like oil. Skiing is a few hours away so are most of the huge lakes where they take you on boats.

The one refreshing person was Damon. He was there many many years ago and he was as good now as he was back then. He was the most consistent. My stay at Glendorn before was super secret. We never saw the employees hanging out around the property at their car in casual clothing, we never saw the housekeepers even when it was their shift, the place has really gone downhill. From the employees (except Damon), the service, the food, management, and even the decor stunk!

The cabin I enjoyed staying in was where my mother and father stayed...it looked very different...like Wednesday from the Addams family decorated it...it was awful. I don't know what happened, but I will forget this place ever existed. the landscape was beautiful but I can go just about anywhere else and have all the things I expect from paying that kind of money and then some. Oh and good luck getting any kind of cellphone or WiFi signal!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jetsetter098
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 21 September 2009

First, the staff was very nice and helpful and we truly appreciated the service from Natalia. She is definitely an asset to your location and I hope you compensate her well. She is extremely friendly & could not have been more of a joy to have attending to us throughout the stay.

In addition, the meals, and especially dinner, were simply awesome. Chef Joe & team put on an excellent show for dinner that was exciting, beautifully plated, and above all, extremely tasty…I can’t say I left much on my plate each course. The four (4) diamonds your restaurant has achieved is well deserved. We’ll recommend the restaurant to anyone within earshot & then some - Fabulous, just fabulous.

Some feedback though on some other items of our stay: First, as a high end hospitality location, I would think that you would have a better soft drink selection. Not having Coke or Diet Coke and Evian water was weird not to see. Ultimately, Natalia came thru w/ a stock of Diet Coke – thank goodness for that! Second, at check in, we were well received, got a very nice tour of the facility but no one was around to carry our bags to our room. For half the price at the Four Seasons or Nemacolin, I’ve had 3 bellmen falling all over me to take my bags to my room.

The Dorn Suite is a beautiful room, well appointed, w/o any writing instruments anywhere to be found. I did get a pen during my checkout. Some additional Suite issues included the fan in the bedroom does not adjust properly & was noisy. We finally gave up on it in the middle of the night since it was such a pain. I also found that there is a tremendous amount of rust on the ceiling fan in the shower and that for having a flat screen TV in the room seems to be a waste since there was no reception for it. For the coffee maker, there was only decaf coffee provided, but a very nice selection of teas – very nice. We also never had any Splenda resupplied for the coffee. This would have been helpful; I ended up getting into the kitchen early Sunday morning and found some.

The last couple issues in regards to the room – we did not have any tissues until sometime Sunday, not sure when they showed up. And the air conditioning unit kept the living room cool, but did not help in the bedroom – thus our need for the crazy fan mentioned above. For the price you charge for such a large & spacious room, I would think that you would get these things worked out.

In regards to the property, it’s very beautiful and has a lot of character. We were very concerned about the conditions of the tennis courts. We went to hit some balls. The clay was not maintained and there were numerous weeds inside and outside that made it look unsightly. The weeds on the backside of the courts made it difficult to find a misplayed ball since there is no door on the back right. In addition, the tennis racket selection was beat up and in poor condition as were the balls available to use. The backboard for hitting balls against needs to be scrapped & re-painted. I would use outdoor Rainstain to protect the wood.

We also used the bikes for a ride around. There was no one around to adjust the bikes to lower the seat for my wife. I went thru ½ of the bikes to find one that worked properly. 1 had flat tires, one had a broken front break, one had the front wheel lock opened (thus the tire could fall off while riding), and the one I finally used had issues w/ the gears after we had gotten down the road. For such nice equipment it is not maintained or taken care of. Someone can easily get hurt on the bikes if they are not maintained properly. In fact, a young boy about 10 years old almost rammed into a Rolls Royce in the parking lot on Sunday morning – I’m sure you wouldn’t have wanted that repair bill!! As we rode down to Bondieu Lake, we came upon a mess at the pavilion and picnic table. I’m thinking more of the issue is your other guests, but there were empty water bottles left on the ground & inside the building as well as some dirty plates of food. When my wife went to use the restroom, it was disgusting. She did alert one of the ladies back at the lodge about the conditions.

One of the reasons we decided to try your location was the spa designation. We have been to many spas both far and wide, and we’ve enjoyed some exceptional service at many of them. So you probably know already, we were very underwhelmed by your “spa” and its facilities and the actual services. First, to charge the prices you did is unacceptable. If you were at Aviara or a Bedford Springs or even the Homestead (all of which we have used) then I would expect the prices, however, there is no “spa” to speak of. It is starting to take some shape in the Loft, however, there is no one to greet you, to point out what can be done or show you around and explain where you should change. No cold or hot water was available to drink (as you should know, massages can be very dehydrating & thus replenishment is a necessity) – we ended up finding some bottled Dasani in the fridge. There are tea packets, but no hot water, or even a means to boil some. The treatment room was very cold and the massages were OK. Blair, the substitute masseuse, did a nice job and was very nice. The second woman did not introduce herself to me so I did not catch her name, but her Hot Stone massage was not worth the money paid. The stones were luke warm to start. We would suggest that you do not advertise a spa until it is 100% operational & stick to in room treatments instead.

Lastly, we’d like to provide some suggestions on other things you might consider, especially for kids. Between my brother & me we have five (5) boys and we take many trips w/ them around the globe – we head to Hawaii at the end of the month w/ the whole gang. As I mentioned, our kids have stayed at all of the locations mentioned above as well at others. Keeping them active and busy is important.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tnttravelers
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 8 July 2009

A little difficult to get to, but worth it when you arrive. Great food in the Big House and better service. I traveled to Glendorn with my kids (from Pittsburgh) and other family traveled from Oklahoma and Collorado. We rented a five bedroom cabin that accomodated us nicely. Our family got to try some things we had not done before. A fly fishing lesson was fun, but we became addicted to trap and skeet shooting. Several in our group had never picked up a shotgun before. The instruction was excellent.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lynwoodfarms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford
Best Western Plus Bradford Inn
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
Inn at Holiday Valley
Inn at Holiday Valley
#2 of 5 in Ellicottville

Been to The Lodge at Glendorn? Share your experiences!