“Aristocracy for a day” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cairnwood Estate

Cairnwood Estate
More attraction details
Owner description: Cairnwood Estate, now a National Landmark,is located in Historic Bryn Athyn, 16 miles from center city Philadelphia and shares it’s grounds with the highly acclaimed Gothic and Romanesque landmarks, the Glencairn Museum and the Bryn Athyn Cathedral.Enjoy the story of American Industrialist John Pitcairn. View our award winning video, visit the gift shop, Garden House, Carriage House, and take a stroll in our garden.
Atlanta, Georgia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Aristocracy for a day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Attended a wedding at the Estate - for this one special day the groom must feel like a king. To do so Cairnwood Estate may be the ideal spot.

The Estate gives a glimpse into the past - how the aristocracy lived, how they entertained.

Visited November 2013

coopersburg pa
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Historical Home In A Beautiful Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We took the tour of Cairnwood before touring Glencairn Museum right next door. This home is a fine example of guilded age construction and wealth. The first floor and parts of the second floor are used for events (a wedding was taking place the day we arrived, so we had to tour around the caterer and wedding planner). The first floor rooms do not have period furnishings; very little furnishings at all, do to hosting events. Still, we could get a sense of the beauty, warmth and family of this home. The second floor had more period furnishings, but not all rooms are open to view as there is still restoration in progress. On the third floor the only open area is the chapel in the tower. We had an outstanding guide, very knowledgable and engaging. Tour includes the carriage house with a fine collection of carriages, sleighs and a period car. There is no elevator for those that cannot go steps. Reasonably priced for a 1 1/2 hour guided tour.

Visited November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“History, Culture and Beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Bryn Athyn is a unique "suburban" enclave and surrounded by the Pennypack Trust as well as home to this magnificent tribute to the culture, grandeur and contributions of the Pitcairn Family. Home to the extraordinary American industrialist and visionary beliefs of the Pitcairns, the Cathedral and Estate grounds manifest the work ethic and values of a generation that helped shape the great businesses of he 20th Century.

Visited October 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing Wedding Venue and More!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I recently attended a wedding reception at Cairnwood and was impressed beyond words. As I am not a resident of the area, I had never heard of this property and was pleasantly surprised! While I did not get an 'official tour' I did do some self exploration of the second floor and found the period furniture and historical information fascinating. Even moreso, this was an incredibly romantic and beautiful place for a wedding reception with its beautiful grounds, handsome first floor interior and amazingly helpful staff. Because it was set up within different rooms, it felt very homey and comfortable. The food was outstanding as well. It was by far one of the best receptions I have attended in a while and I was so impressed with this place that I went home and researched it further just to complete my understanding of its historical value. In summary, I could see myself returning to Cairnwood Estate ANYTIME I found myself in the area again! I'll try to post some pics soon!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Hhevenly
Newtown, Pennsylvania
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Cairnwood - worth a visit - for the carriage house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We took the guided tour at Cairnwood. As a fan of historic house tours, I was disappointed somewhat by the house itself. Cairnwood is more of a "working" house - the house is used for events, probably on a very frequent basis. As a result there are limited period furnishings, and not really much furniture at all on the first floor when I was there (except for tables set up for a wedding that afternoon). So, the interior doesn't really match the grandeur of the exterior. Nonetheless the house itself and grounds are beautiful, and it IS worth seeing, but primarily for the carriage house. The carriage house holds amazing restored carriages and sleighs that were used by the Pitcairn family. There are a few motor vehicles as well.

Unlike many historic homes, you are allowed to take pictures in Cairnwood, both in the house and carriage house.

The Bryn Athyn Cathedral, Cairnwood, and Glencairn are all within a short walk of one another. There are guided tours at all three. You can definitely do two in one day; all three is harder, since the Cathedral is only open from 1:00 to 4:00 PM.

Visited March 2013